Over torqued lug nut
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    One more time, and I'm outta here
    Blog Entries

Over torqued lug nut

So I took my car a few months ago to Bridgeville Auto Specalists to have them loosen by ceased tie rod end. It took 2 hours but they got it off. Then the geniuses used the air gun to over torque the lug nut on the drivers side front. It's pritty much stripped and the head is starting to turn, but not the shaft. Looks like they are going to have to drill out the lug.

I took it back to them in hopes thay can fix their mistake. My question is that can you take a mechanic to small claims court for a mistake like this if he refuses to fix his mistake?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

$t0rm1n n0rm@n
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian P View Post
    So I took my car a few months ago to Bridgeville Auto Specalists to have them loosen by ceased tie rod end. It took 2 hours but they got it off. Then the geniuses used the air gun to over torque the lug nut on the drivers side front. It's pritty much stripped and the head is starting to turn, but not the shaft. Looks like they are going to have to drill out the lug.

I took it back to them in hopes thay can fix their mistake. My question is that can you take a mechanic to small claims court for a mistake like this if he refuses to fix his mistake?
    I am sorry for your issue, but my POV would be no. Just because of the time and what happens down there. It was a few months before we toke the car to that shop, therefore there isn't to prove you or anyone else didn't work on the car post the TR work.

2nd The air gun can only torgue the bolts on to a point (breaker bar should have taken it off) but due to the age of the lug nuts and the heat of normal everyday driving caused the lug nut to tight.

Now with that being said I had to jump up and down on the breaker bar (only on the fronts too) just to brake those bolts....they did get nasty on those lug nuts. I wish you the best and LMK if you need a ride tonight to the shop.

I am so sorry as well.

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian P View Post
    .. My question is that can you take a mechanic to small claims court for a mistake like this if he refuses to fix his mistake?

Of course you can. The real question is whether you can convince a judge you are right.

4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
    I don't understand what your saying "It's pritty (pretty) much stripped and the head is starting to turn, but not the shaft." B5.5 have bolts not nuts and if the head is turning the shaft has to turn with it, otherwise the bolt is broken and the head should just fall off.

It sounds more like the portion of the bolts threads that are inside the flange are stripped and the threads protuding out the back of the flange are intact or, and most likely, the threads in the flange are stripped out. If this is the case they can use a Heli-Coil to repair the threads in the flange.

JMHO

3rd Gear
    You brought your car in for service, and the bolts were fine to begin with, but they screwed it up while putting the wheel back on.

Afterwards refusing to fix this problem or provide you any form of customer service to solve the problem- keep complaining and I would file a small claims court, get that person scared shitless.

But if the price of a bolt costs as much as the claim get the bolt.
    Sorry to hear, I hate mechs who are careless.

needs more cowbell
    see what they say before you think about taking to court. what a pain in the ass thing to mess with over a lug nut.

Blog Entries
    Well so far so good. He is going to try to get the lug nut off and will give me a call if there is a problem.

3rd Gear
    are they going to give you a new lugnut?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartmyVDUB View Post
    are they going to give you a new lugnut?
    I'm not worried about a lug nut. What so many people seem to miss is the fact THE TIME AND LABOR TO GET THE OLD LUG NUT OUT. I don't know if you guys think I'm so vain about a lug nut or just slow. I'll repeat for those that don't read very well, The issue isn't the lug nut, it's getting it out. It's not an easy process.

6th Gear
    ^^^ ill put it to you this way.... 386lbs = .......

FAT CHANCE!

6th Gear
    But on a serious note this guy is right you can sue for anything now a days

Quote Originally Posted by l5gcw0b View Post
    Of course you can. The real question is whether you can convince a judge you are right.

1st Gear
    Woah, chill dude, it sounded from your post like they were going to fix it for you, so whether they're going to give you a new lug nut is a perfectly reasonable question.... no need for an explosion!

needs more cowbell
    i agree that there a lot of time to be involved in a seized or rounded lug.

i dealt with this myself this winter when i was trying to remove a flat, bald, tire from my car. not only was the lug seized, (i torqued it properly with a torque wrence the previous fall) i messed up and rounded it over by not having the socket on far enough. with only 1/2" of threads i managed to break several 17 mm and whatever standard size is a touch smaller, that i banged on with a sledgehammer.

the point is, that there are ways to get a rounded lug off, without relying on a shop that already screwed up. and one of them is, brute force and an impact grade socket that is a smaller size that the nut used to be. once you beat that sumbitch on, you can put your ratchet on there and cheater pipe and proceed with the removal.

good luck, i hope they get it off easily. simple things are frustrating. i just hate it when people's thought process lead to legal system on such a constant basis.

Banned
    Do yourself a favor and put CV joint grease on all of your lug bolts' threads and faces. Next time, it won't matter how hard they torque the bolt, it won't seize in place.

Blog Entries
    They got it off with the procedure 99blackmagic talked about, putting on the smaller socket. It took less than a half hour.

Now I can post the pics of the results, my car with rims.

Lefties have rights, too!
    Glad to hear it worked out.

In the future don't let anyone near your wheel bolts unless they are holding a torque wrench. And always use antiseeze on those threads.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Parish View Post
    In the future don't let anyone near your wheel bolts unless they are holding a torque wrench.
    Or a torque stick on the impact wrench

is a sweetheart
    UNLESS SPECIFIED BY THE MANUAL, NEVER USE LUBRICANTS/ANTI-SEIZE ON THE SEAT OR THREADS OF A BOLT/NUT WHICH HAS A TORQUE SPECIFICATION! Reducing the friction on the threads and under the seating surface can cause a huge increase in the tensile force on the bolt (on the order of 300 - 400%).

3rd Gear
    My mech lubed mine up with that stuff, is it okay? I have a better time taking them out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokey View Post
    UNLESS SPECIFIED BY THE MANUAL, NEVER USE LUBRICANTS/ANTI-SEIZE ON THE SEAT OR THREADS OF A BOLT/NUT WHICH HAS A TORQUE SPECIFICATION! Reducing the friction on the threads and under the seating surface can cause a huge increase in the tensile force on the bolt (on the order of 300 - 400%).
    I understand where you're coming from, but we're talking about bolts that can withstand thousands of PSI on their threads and seating surfaces. They won't break, at least not all at once, which is why there's five per wheel. Furthermore, I'd rather have over-tight lug bolts than rusted and seized lug bolts.

PZ
    Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by deusexaethera View Post
    I understand where you're coming from, but we're talking about bolts that can withstand thousands of PSI on their threads and seating surfaces. They won't break, at least not all at once, which is why there's five per wheel. Furthermore, I'd rather have over-tight lug bolts than rusted and seized lug bolts.
    They can not withstand thousands of PSI. They will probably snap or strip at 400 ft/lbs of torque or less. So that 300-400% increase takes them right to the limit.

23. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information