what are the symptoms of CV boot failure?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    2nd Gear

what are the symptoms of CV boot failure?

when i go over slight disturbances on the road( usually small pothholes) i hear almost what sounds like a loose knocking noise in my suspension( i think its somewhere on the right side) I have already replaced upper control arms for both sides and one of the lower control arms on both sides....i have the other lower control arms and tie rod ends sitting in my garage ready to be installed but when i replaced one of my lowers on each side, the other ones seemed fine...

so the next thing i could think of is the CV boot...i dont know what the symptoms of its failure are...please let me know

ps...82k on the car and i hear the noise only when i go straight(not on turns)

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    Take a wheel off and look for a rip. If it is an outer boot you will have grease on the inside of your wheel just feel around if your hand comes out greasy then you have a CV boot that is ripped.

2nd Gear
    usually the clicking would happen on turns and you would notice the grease on the inside of your wheel. have you replaced your brakes? could it be a loose brake pad? if you apply the brakes over a bump does it stll make that noise?

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by NE_Passat'n View Post
    usually the clicking would happen on turns and you would notice the grease on the inside of your wheel. have you replaced your brakes? could it be a loose brake pad? if you apply the brakes over a bump does it stll make that noise?
    no the brakes are fine

the sound isnt very loud and it doesnt knock everytime i hit a small pothhole...when one of my 2 lowers replaced on each side, one side was bad so i thoguht that wouldve fixed the problem but i guess not

Overdrive
    Does the clicking seem speed-related, that is it goes faster when you go faster?

You hit a good bump or pothole and suddenly you hear this noise, and a little while later it goes away?

You hear the noise from inside the car, but if you open your window and drive past a wall, you can't hear it from outside? (reflected off wall)

It sounds like the right side from the driver's seat, but from the passenger seat it sounds like left side?

3rd Gear
    CV boot failure diagnosis? Look around the joint and look for a huge tear. CV joint and CV Boot are 2 very different failures.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Wallbanger View Post
    Does the clicking seem speed-related, that is it goes faster when you go faster?

You hit a good bump or pothole and suddenly you hear this noise, and a little while later it goes away?

You hear the noise from inside the car, but if you open your window and drive past a wall, you can't hear it from outside? (reflected off wall)

It sounds like the right side from the driver's seat, but from the passenger seat it sounds like left side?
    no its bump related...when i go over a certain type of small bump or pothhole is when i hear just a very slight knock

3rd Gear
    I have what sounds like the same problem. Its almost as if something in my driver's side wheelwell is loose and knocking around. Please let me know if you find out what your noise is...

2nd Gear
    clicking and popping during turns is a sure fire sign that your boot is torn and that the CV axle is on its way out.

Your problem sounds like it may be suspension related

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by B5volksdragon View Post
    no its bump related...when i go over a certain type of small bump or pothhole is when i hear just a very slight knock
    OK, cause I was hoping you have what I have (which I described).

3rd Gear
    Try the spring on the brake caliper. Weak spring will allow the brake caliper to move it around in its mounting bracket.

Super (Charged) Moderator, Grinding Gears...gone fishing! ScottPassat2.8's Avatar
    loose shock bolt, sway bar connector, wheel bearings among the other suggestions.

Neutral

Same symtoms

Sounds like I have a similar problem, but it only make the noise at slow speeds (between 1 and 25 mph) and it doesn't always make the noise. I know it's not my CV outer boots since I had both of them replaced. It may be the CV joints, but I not sure since it doesn't consistantly make the noise all the time at slow speeds. The time I start notice it was right after I went over a speed bump and the bottom of my car scraped hard after going over the bump, but I'm not sure what could have happened. It may just be coincidence. If anyone figures it out please post.

15. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information