Airbag/Seat wiring picture inside
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Airbag/Seat wiring picture inside

so I have the airbag light on and the code keeps coming up. Well I figured out that it was the passenger side seat airbag but I can't figure out which connection that is. I labeled the picture with number if that helps.
    1.Yellow 2.green 3.Black 4.white.
    Also does anyone know if I can wire up a resistor in place in case this fails and what resisor I would need.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    which one is the heated seat?

3rd Gear
    Yellow (#1) is for the airbag. 100% sure

2nd Gear
    It's definitely the yellow one. Same as on my wife's New Beetle too. Make sure to unplug the battery before touching/unplugging anything.

Also - it's a bit of an odd item to unplug and release from the seat frame.

Neutral
    I already disconnected it but it's not helping much the light comes back on. I'm leaning more towards finding a resistor to put in there. Or does anyone know if I can short the wires out somehow without ruining things.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by hey4 View Post
    I already disconnected it but it's not helping much the light comes back on. I'm leaning more towards finding a resistor to put in there. Or does anyone know if I can short the wires out somehow without ruining things.
    You need a resistor, whats wrong with the airbag.

Neutral
    as far as I know nothing is wrong with the airbag but I don't want the light on the dash. It bothers me and it won't look good when I try to sell it

Neutral
    Thursday,24,May,2007,19:20:04:08140
    VAG-COM Version: Release 704.1

Address 15: Airbags
    Control Module Part Number: 6Q0 909 605 B
    Component and/or Version: 03 AIRBAG VW5 0004
    Software Coding: 12339
    Work Shop Code: WSC 00028
    1 Fault Found:
    01218 - Side Airbag Igniter; Passenger Side (N200)
    32-00 - Resistance too High
    this is the code I'm getting

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by hey4 View Post
    as far as I know nothing is wrong with the airbag but I don't want the light on the dash. It bothers me and it won't look good when I try to sell it
    If nothing was wrong with the airbag system, you wouldn't be throwing a code on it. If you want to disable the bag, fine, but make sure you tell whomever you sell the car to that you have done so, and make them sign a statement acknowledging that you have told them. Not doing so would be a Very Bad Thing (and could get you sued to hell and back.)

I had to bypass the seat belt sensor on one of my cars, and it wasn't a big deal to the buyer, who was grateful I told him.

FYI, on every car I have ever seen bright yellow = airbag / belt pretensioner. It is your signal to disconnect the negative battery terminal and go drink a beer before even thinking about looking at those wires/connections.

SirWired

Neutral
    well yeah I planned on telling them mostly because of those legal reasons but yeah it's PITA when it beeps at me all the time. I don't feel like taking the seat apart to looks for the belt tensioner snow I gotta start looking at one of those resistors. Anyone know where I can find one?

Neutral

Do not modify Airbag system

Do not tamper with the Airbag system. Take it to the dealership for repair.
    If you are getting a Airbag code showing "Resistance too High" this usally means that either:

1. The squib (igniter) is faulted internally.

2. There is a break somewhere in the wiring from Electronic control unit to the squib. With all airbag igniters there are two wires that give the deployment energy.

3. The connector pins at the airbag control unit is not making good contact.

4. Inside the Airbag control unit the firing or deployment drivers may no longer have a proper connection to the circuit board.

If for some reason you ignore this advice (taking it to a qualified service center) and decide to troubleshoot the problem yourself....protect yourself from accidental inadvertent activation of the airbags by disconnecting the battery and or pull the Airbag fuse. Even if the battery is disconnect you need to be careful since any exposed wiring/contacts can receive an accidental ESD pulse resulting in a deployment of the airbag.

As indicated by others this is a potential legal landmine waiting to happen (if you sell the system with modifications).

Just to give you some information regarding my background:
    - Electronics Hardware engineer working in the development of Airbag control modules for 15 years. I have developed airbag control modules for many OEMs (European and North America)

I am not trying to scare you but rather make sure that you are informed.

Kind regards....

2nd Gear
    the green connector is also for the side airbag. I disconnected it recently and it threw the airbag light too while trying to dignose my heated seat problem. i cleared the code with vag-com and it's fine now

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information