A4 and Passat ECU compatibility?
NEWS
 
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    the deal finder!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    LA, CA
    Posts
    15,564

    A4 and Passat ECU compatibility?

    So, I was wondering if the 2000 Passat 1.8t ATW tiptrionic ECU (#4B0 906 018 BH) would be compatible with the 2000 A4 1.8t ATW tiptronic (either fwd or quattro). I think it is, but does anyone know for sure?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    4th Gear
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    haverstraw ny
    Posts
    2,548
    it should, your ecu only controls the engine

  4. #3
    the deal finder!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    LA, CA
    Posts
    15,564
    also, i checked etka, and the BH ecu has the part #4b0 997 020 cx for both the passat and a4.

  5. #4
    the deal finder!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    LA, CA
    Posts
    15,564
    Quote Originally Posted by 390to_da_wheels View Post
    it should, your ecu only controls the engine
    so the quattro system is purely mechanical then?

  6. #5
    4th Gear
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    haverstraw ny
    Posts
    2,548
    yes the quatro is pure mechanic thiing

  7. #6
    the deal finder!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    LA, CA
    Posts
    15,564
    what about other atw ecu's with different ecu #'s? i'm guessing it wouldn't work?


  8. #7
    Overdrive
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fargo ND
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,880
    I Have a Bt file on an audi ECu and the only issue I have is my Traction control light is on, maybe thats a Vagavble change though.

  9. #8
    the deal finder!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    LA, CA
    Posts
    15,564
    same ecu #?

  10. #9
    5th Gear
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    6,172
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Passat00 View Post
    So, I was wondering if the 2000 Passat 1.8t ATW tiptrionic ECU (#4B0 906 018 BH) would be compatible with the 2000 A4 1.8t ATW tiptronic (either fwd or quattro). I think it is, but does anyone know for sure?
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Passat00
    so the quattro system is purely mechanical then?
    AWD VWs and Audis with a longitudinal engine use a Torsen differential. The Torsen system is purely mechanical (as opposed to the electronic Haldex differential used with the transverse engine layouts); however, the automatic transmission & the traction control (ESP) are still computer controlled.

    If your Passat/Audi is FWD, it uses the ASR traction control system, not the ESP system (ASR only monitors the front wheels for wheelspin & does not have a yaw sensor in the steering column). I doubt that the ECUs can be swapped between ESP- and ASR-equipped cars.

    Notice that the ETKA page you posted indicates whether the ECU is meant for an ESP- or an ASR-equipped car.

  11. #10
    4th Gear
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Fairfield County, CT
    Posts
    3,482
    for B5 A4s:



    i know for certain a "BG" passat ecu will not work in a ATW A4 "P" ecu. (tip to manual, fwd to AWD). Actually, the car will start and drive, but the problem is that the ECU will be looking for an ASR signal from the ABS controller and the ECU will not recode either. from what I can gather "BG and BH" are similar ecus.

    this case is slightly different. also, NO B5 audis came with ESP in 2000. so that isnt an issue. (my car has no ASR or ESP)(ESP was an option in 2001).

    tip to tip and Fwd to Fwd should work. tip to tip, Fwd to Awd probably wont work.

  12. #11
    the deal finder!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    LA, CA
    Posts
    15,564
    Quote Originally Posted by modifiedA4 View Post
    for B5 A4s:



    i know for certain a "BG" passat ecu will not work in a ATW A4 "P" ecu. (tip to manual, fwd to AWD). Actually, the car will start and drive, but the problem is that the ECU will be looking for an ASR signal from the ABS controller and the ECU will not recode either. from what I can gather "BG and BH" are similar ecus.

    this case is slightly different. also, NO B5 audis came with ESP in 2000. so that isnt an issue. (my car has no ASR or ESP)(ESP was an option in 2001).

    tip to tip and Fwd to Fwd should work. tip to tip, Fwd to Awd probably wont work.
    ok, so basically, my best bet for compatibility would be the same ecu # (and vw part #) right?

    i checked the passat etka pdf (page#10), and the atw tip ecu has the exact same ecu# and vw/audi part # as the audi etka page shown above.
    http://72.232.196.98/~dpham00/passat...%20systems.pdf

  13. #12
    4th Gear
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Fairfield County, CT
    Posts
    3,482
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Passat00 View Post
    ok, so basically, my best bet for compatibility would be the same ecu # (and vw part #) right?

    i checked the passat etka pdf (page#10), and the atw tip ecu has the exact same ecu# and vw/audi part # as the audi etka page shown above.
    http://72.232.196.98/~dpham00/passat...%20systems.pdf
    remember its transmission type PLUS awd vs fwd which matters, and the AWD vs FWD is more important.

    for instance, i can recode and use an AWD tip ecu in my car (AWD manual).

    but yeah, the best bet is to get the same ecu from the same type of car.

  14. #13
    4th Gear
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,623
    Quote Originally Posted by pete1 View Post
    If your Passat/Audi is FWD, it uses the ASR traction control system, not the ESP system (ASR only monitors the front wheels for wheelspin & does not have a yaw sensor in the steering column).
    This is not correct. ESP was an option on at least some late FWD B5.5's, as I most certainly have it installed on my '04 1.8T GLS.

    SirWired

  15. #14
    Founder of the STFA
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,639
    A variation of this is the chip program. I have a VW BQ ecu and I have a GIAC Audi CH chip installed in it. When I open vagcom, it identifies the ecu as a CH ecu. If I put the GIAC BQ chip back in, the vagcom identifies the ecu as BQ again.

  16. #15
    1st Gear
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    vancouver, bc
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by modifiedA4 View Post
    for B5 A4s:



    i know for certain a "BG" passat ecu will not work in a ATW A4 "P" ecu. (tip to manual, fwd to AWD). Actually, the car will start and drive, but the problem is that the ECU will be looking for an ASR signal from the ABS controller and the ECU will not recode either. from what I can gather "BG and BH" are similar ecus.

    this case is slightly different. also, NO B5 audis came with ESP in 2000. so that isnt an issue. (my car has no ASR or ESP)(ESP was an option in 2001).

    tip to tip and Fwd to Fwd should work. tip to tip, Fwd to Awd probably wont work.
    sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but i had the same question if the atw "p" would work in the "BG" passat and after searching around i found this:

    http://www.audi-forums.com/b5-forum/...g-b5-ecus.html

    the OP states that he was able to use the chip without problems even though it was BG instead of P. Can anyone confirm this or was this guy just tripping out?

  17. #16
    1st Gear
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    vancouver, bc
    Posts
    270
    anyone?

  18. #17
    4th Gear
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Halifax, NS
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,235
    That ain't something a lot of people would try, even if they happened to have the spare ECUs kicking around...

  19. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements
     

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2