A4 and Passat ECU compatibility?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    the deal finder!

A4 and Passat ECU compatibility?

So, I was wondering if the 2000 Passat 1.8t ATW tiptrionic ECU (#4B0 906 018 BH) would be compatible with the 2000 A4 1.8t ATW tiptronic (either fwd or quattro). I think it is, but does anyone know for sure?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    it should, your ecu only controls the engine

the deal finder!
    also, i checked etka, and the BH ecu has the part #4b0 997 020 cx for both the passat and a4.

the deal finder!
    Quote Originally Posted by 390to_da_wheels View Post
    it should, your ecu only controls the engine
    so the quattro system is purely mechanical then?

4th Gear
    yes the quatro is pure mechanic thiing

the deal finder!
    what about other atw ecu's with different ecu #'s? i'm guessing it wouldn't work?

Overdrive
    I Have a Bt file on an audi ECu and the only issue I have is my Traction control light is on, maybe thats a Vagavble change though.

the deal finder!
    same ecu #?

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Passat00 View Post
    So, I was wondering if the 2000 Passat 1.8t ATW tiptrionic ECU (#4B0 906 018 BH) would be compatible with the 2000 A4 1.8t ATW tiptronic (either fwd or quattro). I think it is, but does anyone know for sure?
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Passat00
    so the quattro system is purely mechanical then?
    AWD VWs and Audis with a longitudinal engine use a Torsen differential. The Torsen system is purely mechanical (as opposed to the electronic Haldex differential used with the transverse engine layouts); however, the automatic transmission & the traction control (ESP) are still computer controlled.

If your Passat/Audi is FWD, it uses the ASR traction control system, not the ESP system (ASR only monitors the front wheels for wheelspin & does not have a yaw sensor in the steering column). I doubt that the ECUs can be swapped between ESP- and ASR-equipped cars.

Notice that the ETKA page you posted indicates whether the ECU is meant for an ESP- or an ASR-equipped car.

4th Gear
    for B5 A4s:

i know for certain a "BG" passat ecu will not work in a ATW A4 "P" ecu. (tip to manual, fwd to AWD). Actually, the car will start and drive, but the problem is that the ECU will be looking for an ASR signal from the ABS controller and the ECU will not recode either. from what I can gather "BG and BH" are similar ecus.

this case is slightly different. also, NO B5 audis came with ESP in 2000. so that isnt an issue. (my car has no ASR or ESP)(ESP was an option in 2001).

tip to tip and Fwd to Fwd should work. tip to tip, Fwd to Awd probably wont work.

the deal finder!
    Quote Originally Posted by modifiedA4 View Post
    for B5 A4s:

i know for certain a "BG" passat ecu will not work in a ATW A4 "P" ecu. (tip to manual, fwd to AWD). Actually, the car will start and drive, but the problem is that the ECU will be looking for an ASR signal from the ABS controller and the ECU will not recode either. from what I can gather "BG and BH" are similar ecus.

this case is slightly different. also, NO B5 audis came with ESP in 2000. so that isnt an issue. (my car has no ASR or ESP)(ESP was an option in 2001).

tip to tip and Fwd to Fwd should work. tip to tip, Fwd to Awd probably wont work.
    ok, so basically, my best bet for compatibility would be the same ecu # (and vw part #) right?

i checked the passat etka pdf (page#10), and the atw tip ecu has the exact same ecu# and vw/audi part # as the audi etka page shown above.
    http://72.232.196.98/~dpham00/passat...%20systems.pdf

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Passat00 View Post
    ok, so basically, my best bet for compatibility would be the same ecu # (and vw part #) right?

i checked the passat etka pdf (page#10), and the atw tip ecu has the exact same ecu# and vw/audi part # as the audi etka page shown above.
    http://72.232.196.98/~dpham00/passat...%20systems.pdf
    remember its transmission type PLUS awd vs fwd which matters, and the AWD vs FWD is more important.

for instance, i can recode and use an AWD tip ecu in my car (AWD manual).

but yeah, the best bet is to get the same ecu from the same type of car.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by pete1 View Post
    If your Passat/Audi is FWD, it uses the ASR traction control system, not the ESP system (ASR only monitors the front wheels for wheelspin & does not have a yaw sensor in the steering column).
    This is not correct. ESP was an option on at least some late FWD B5.5's, as I most certainly have it installed on my '04 1.8T GLS.

SirWired

Founder of the STFA
    A variation of this is the chip program. I have a VW BQ ecu and I have a GIAC Audi CH chip installed in it. When I open vagcom, it identifies the ecu as a CH ecu. If I put the GIAC BQ chip back in, the vagcom identifies the ecu as BQ again.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by modifiedA4 View Post
    for B5 A4s:

sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but i had the same question if the atw "p" would work in the "BG" passat and after searching around i found this:

http://www.audi-forums.com/b5-forum/...g-b5-ecus.html

the OP states that he was able to use the chip without problems even though it was BG instead of P. Can anyone confirm this or was this guy just tripping out?

1st Gear
    anyone?

4th Gear
    That ain't something a lot of people would try, even if they happened to have the spare ECUs kicking around...

19. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information