New brake pads click, advice needed
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

New brake pads click, advice needed

So I installed new rotors and pads on the front of my 2001.5 Passat. The rotors and pads aren't OEM but are high quality aftermarket. The pads even had the wear sensor built in etc. I've done brakes many times on other cars so I know what I'm doing for the most part.

However, now that I have installed them, I notice a click sound when I first press the brake pedal. It's not a clunk, it's a click and it only happens once (single click) each time I press the brake pedal at slow speeds. I am fairly certain the sound is the outer brake pads floating up and hitting the caliper or caliper carrier when braking (using up their 2mm or so of play). I did re-install the spring clip, but notice the clip only contacts the caliper and carrier... they do not contact the pads. Unfortunately, I can't remember if the clip is even SUPPOSED to contact the outside of the pads, or if this would even be responsible for the clicking.

Have any of you experienced the same problem after installing aftermarket pads and if so, what did you do to remedy it?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    any news or update?

2nd Gear
    I bodged mine with folded bits of cardboard, it worked.

1st Gear
    Bump.

I've got this same problem after putting in my pads and rotors. It happened after an incident where I was going about 20 MPH and a car cut in front of me, so I quickly pressed the brake pedal, then sped back up (never stopping)

Brembo solid rotors and Wagner Thermoquiet pads.

It is only the front drivers side wheel. It happens as described above, only at slow speeds, only once per brake application.

I pulled the tires off, pulled of the calipers, bent the clips on the inside pad out a bit to get it to grip the cylinder a bit better.

Still clicking.

The brakes perform fine at all speeds.

Any ideas?

Since I've got all new rotors and pads, any ideas how much it might cost to have a pro or the dealer figure it out if the board has no ideas?

the deal finder!
    Quote Originally Posted by elton View Post
    I bodged mine with folded bits of cardboard, it worked.
    i'd be careful...under hard use, the brakes can get really hot...

Neutral
    cardboard isn't exactly the best material to use, however if it's s a temporary bodge job then I suppose cardboard isn't too bad to use as long as you don't use continuous braking which could lead to the cardboard burning up!...same as D.Passat00 said really...

3rd Gear
    I've got the same problem, if they're PBR Ultimates just junk them because they're crap. I've tried damn near everything and they still rattle and click all day long.

It's too bad because the actual compound of them is good, they just don't fit.

4th Gear
    ^^same here with the ultimates. I'll be going to a porsche caliper soon though, just gives me more reason to complete the kit.

Neutral
    I have the same problem new pads, I had rotors turned, all OEM equipment now a click at low speeds.

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Passat00 View Post
    i'd be careful...under hard use, the brakes can get really hot...
    brakes are one of the FEW applications that still use asbestos because of EXACTLY this concern.
    pop your caliper, and remove them now, or you will set them on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by jkreusc View Post
    Bump.

I've got this same problem after putting in my pads and rotors. It happened after an incident where I was going about 20 MPH and a car cut in front of me, so I quickly pressed the brake pedal, then sped back up (never stopping)

Brembo solid rotors and Wagner Thermoquiet pads.

It is only the front drivers side wheel. It happens as described above, only at slow speeds, only once per brake application.

I pulled the tires off, pulled of the calipers, bent the clips on the inside pad out a bit to get it to grip the cylinder a bit better.

Still clicking.

The brakes perform fine at all speeds.

Any ideas?

Since I've got all new rotors and pads, any ideas how much it might cost to have a pro or the dealer figure it out if the board has no ideas?
    i have exactly this problem as well, currently.
    i just tuned it out, but would love to know what, exactly this is. (also makes noise when you kick it.)

12. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information