$125 per wheel just to fix curb rash?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Banned

$125 per wheel just to fix curb rash?

I was thinking that it would be as low as $65 judging from the posts I've read, but boy was I in for a rude awakening.
    I called Wheel Collision Center in Bath PA, as they were ONLY 40 miles from my house. I tried going to a bunch of auto body shops and stuff, but none of them did wheel repair. BTW, I've see the do it yourself thing, and I know that I have neither the ability nor the free time to fix it myself.
    Would there be any places that can do it cheaper?
    Because you can buy BRAND new wellingtons for just slightly more on EBAY than the price they're charging to fix the curb rash.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal29
    ... Because you can buy BRAND new wellingtons for just slightly more on EBAY than the price they're charging to fix the curb rash.
    That was my reaction.

Banned
    My brother in law just had his 19" rims fixed from curb rash (minor) and powder coated for a grand total of.......$240 for all 4!

$60 per wheel.

Plus the work was flawless. Too bad your not out here in Cali I would set you up with the company.

4th Gear
    ^oh wow.

im intrested in this...

where are they at and i wonder how much it would be just to fix the curb rash and do they fix bent rims? ive been looking around but i cant find anything legit..that doesnt charge a arm and a leg.

1st Gear
    kidvdub please elaborate on the company that did that. Thanks.

1st Gear
    kidvdub - I would also be interested. I got cubage and also need repolishing.

2nd Gear
    Post a pic and let's see just how bad it is.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal29
    I was thinking that it would be as low as $65 judging from the posts I've read, but boy was I in for a rude awakening.
    I called Wheel Collision Center in Bath PA, as they were ONLY 40 miles from my house. I tried going to a bunch of auto body shops and stuff, but none of them did wheel repair. BTW, I've see the do it yourself thing, and I know that I have neither the ability nor the free time to fix it myself.
    Would there be any places that can do it cheaper?
    Because you can buy BRAND new wellingtons for just slightly more on EBAY than the price they're charging to fix the curb rash.
    If it smakes you feel any better, they charge the same whether a stock rim or BBS LM's. They don't descriminate.

If you are that close, you can make an appointment and drive over their and wait for them to be doen.

The do beautiful work.

Banned
    OK folks follow kid to the new link with pics and info...........

heading over to my brother in laws car right now and I will snap a couple of pics.....

be right back.

6th Gear
    if you cant live with it ....buy new wheels and sell the curbed up ones .. you figure that for the upgrade of NEW wheels minus the $$$ from the sale of the old ones = happer B5er

Banned

Neutral
    Anyone know of a rim refinsher here in washington state?

5th Gear
    it is true that labour is expensive.
    they charge like 120.00 for a complete strip, straighten, and paint for bent/curbed wheels.
    like another member said they do not discriminate and whether they are stock one piece casts costs the same as three piece forged.

if you want them repaired for dirty cheap then you would have to DIY it

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlDude View Post
    Post a pic and let's see just how bad it is.
    better late than never I guess.

This one below was already replaced a long time ago.

I bought 3 flawless wellingtons and 1 curbed wellington with OEM tires for $280 on vortex so these wheels will be replaced and sold shortly.

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    christ, what ever happened to those DIY walkthroughs about how to fix the curbrash yourself?

all you do is sand it down, fill it, and paint it.

screw the $125, take the smart approach and diy to save your money, which you will likely use to worry about some other problem

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by sipes216 View Post
    christ, what ever happened to those DIY walkthroughs about how to fix the curbrash yourself?

all you do is sand it down, fill it, and paint it.

screw the $125, take the smart approach and diy to save your money, which you will likely use to worry about some other problem
    those wheels don't look that bad and with a bit of light sanding, cleaning, and painting your done.

like sipes said take the DIY approach and it would cost no more than 25.00 dollars and your time.
    If you got no time then do one wheel per weekend.

here was what i did for a beat up set of bbs wheel i had

Was painting today so why not disassemble a few straightened BBS RMo12 and paint them.
    these will need to be sanded lightly and wax remover used to clean them before primer

cheap ass primer from Caca Tire.

next find a carton big enough to put the barrels in. it will be your ghetto make shift paint booth

Caca Tire paint and clear

flash for 15 minutes between coats

after 4 coats of silver time for some clear

now to strip the outer shells.
    from CaCa Tire paint remover

clear stripped and now the polishing begins

here is what i did with a BBS RS001 modular wheel I had lying around.
    these were gold and i had them sandblasted

completely disassembled and I used tar and wax remover to clean it up before spraying a coat of primer, base and a few clear coats.

so if the price you get quoted is high for you then the other alternative is to DIY it bro.

3rd Gear
    Nice pics and details, I'm sure that will come in handy for many who want to save some $ on rim repair.
    I may even consider this after I check out the cost to repair a few curbed rims. I have a few sources I will get estimates from before I decide if I need to DIY.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal29 View Post
    better late than never I guess.

This one below was already replaced a long time ago.
    That is totally fixable with some glazing puddy and an airbrush or can of wheel paint like corradog60stage4 posted. And the curbage chunks can be fixed easily with a Dremel and some JB Weld to build up the edge. Just takes some time and patience.

Quote Originally Posted by corradog60stage4 View Post
    it is true that labour is expensive.
    they charge like 120.00 for a complete strip, straighten, and paint for bent/curbed wheels.
    like another member said they do not discriminate and whether they are stock one piece casts costs the same as three piece forged.

if you want them repaired for dirty cheap then you would have to DIY it
    Ya know, if they will straigthen and refinish my set of BBS RC's for $125 per, that would be great, I am going right by there next month.

21. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information