Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Passat EPC and check engine light

30K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  sarbhpreet 
#1 ·
2002 Passat V6 4motion
I had the EPC and the check engine light come on while my car stalled and could not go over 10-15 mph. A preliminary check under the hood showed that the EVAP purge valve installed over the air filter canister was NOT clicking (like it should be). Could this have caused the incident?

I could not take it to the autozone for a code read. I may have to just tow it to the dealer but wanted to do some basic troubleshooting first. Anyone have any similar expereinces or any ideas as to what the possible culprits maybe.

Thanks
Sarbhpreet

#2 ·
Any issues with the Evap system should not cause an EPC light. You are just going to need to get codes somehow. Perhaps this would be an excellent time to invest in a code reader of your own... (If not a VAG-COM, at least a cheapie genereic reader.)

SirWired

#7 ·
Car at dealer

The car went to the VW dealer. I got a call back today. They say that they received the code P1568 - Idle Speed Contr.Throttle Pos. mechanical Malfunction - and it needs a new throttle body ($750+labor) and after they install the throttle body it may even need an ECM. Is this correct that they cannot independently determine the condition of the ECM without having a working throttle body. That is what I was told. Also howcome when I checked with a OBDII I received P0638 and not P1568?

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks
Sarbhpreet

#10 ·
I cleared the code but that wouldn't do anything. The stealership told me that the throttle actuator (installed on the TB) was not responding to any input. The car is back with only TB changed (not ECM thank god) and runnign fine. The car literally did not go over 10 mph or 1400 rpm, it was as they say in limp mode. Now it seems fine. (except for the oil leak onto the exhaust manifold on the passenger side that I spent $1200 on last year and never fixed).

I love the way the car rides but at this rate it will bankrupt me. I think it is time to switch.

This forum is great

Sarbhpreet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.