Car Sat For A Week, Now Engine Makes Funny Noise (Media Included)
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Car Sat For A Week, Now Engine Makes Funny Noise (Media Included)

So I went on vacation for eight days and my car sat at a friends house. While it was sitting there, the birds used it for target practice. Anyways now that I'm driving it again I notice a clicking noise comming from the engine. Hopefully this is something that one of you can figure out. I have a 1999 1.8t Variant with Tiptronic.

http://panther37.xtothezracing.com/b.../AEB_Noise.mp3 (2.2 Mb)
    http://panther37.xtothezracing.com/b.../AEB_Noise.mov (2.4 Mb)
    http://panther37.xtothezracing.com/b...AEB_Noise.divx (15.8 Mb)

*** PROBLEM FIXED ***
    Some of the crankshaft pulley bolts were loose. I tightened all the bolts down and it went away. One wouldn't come out. I'll have to deal with that later...
    Last edited by Panther 37; 03-31-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: People don't read all posts before posting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Top end sounds dry. Something must have caked in an oil passage. Could be the chain tensioner.

Neutral
    sounds like mine, heh.. i'm in the process of changing the oil pump [what the VW dealership diagnosed] ...then probably the cam chain tensioner [VW said nothing about that, but it's what everyone else is telling me]

2nd Gear
    Wow, that sounds loud. Is it recommended to NOT run the engine like that until you get it fixed?

1st Gear
    I just had the dealership change the cam adjusters about six weeks ago under warranty. My CPO warranty has now expired (24 months.) The sound isn't really noticeable when the car is being driven. I can only notice it when it's standing still. I doubt it's this but my dip-stick is half broken. So what should I check out to figure out what this is? I'm assuming I should check out the chain tensioner?

5th Gear
    dont know what wrong but that is some f'ed up stuff what those birds did to your car...open the hood maybe you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from..sounds like something is loose and rattling

1st Gear
    It sounds like it's closer to the back of the engine. That's why I included video along with the audio.

Neutral
    my car is dying

might help..

3rd Gear
    Interesting, I realize my Passat is 5 years newer, but mine sat for 10 days straight last week while we were on vacation and she started up without hesitation yesterday morning.

Did the noise subside after it had been running for awhile?

Neutral
    While driving, there is no noise, except at idle.

2nd Gear
    Does everyone elses RPM needle move up and down slightly when at idle?

MINE DOES, just like his.. (AWM)

2nd Gear
    Holy Birdcrap Batman!!!

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by jen_marie
    While driving, there is no noise, except at idle.
    My diagnosis, admittedly based on too little information, is an internal cam seal leak, which permits oil to leave the CCA bath. Your CCA is becoming oil-starved at idle.

Mine started to clatter occasionally on cold starts at the 14k mi mark. By 22k mi, shortly after I changed to synthetic oil (mere coincindence?), it was clattering consistently on hot idle.

1st Gear
    I still have this problem, but it has changed. It's not as loud anymore and is at its worst when the block is cold. Once the block warms up it isn't as bad. The noise actually goes away above 1200 RPM too. I just checked the oil and it is full.

4th Gear
    Your cam chain is rattling. When they replaced the CCA, did they replace the cam seals as well? Are you perhaps leaking oil out of the CCA gasket, due to poor installation? (If so, you should smell burning oil on hot idle.) The other possibility is partial blockage of the oil pump by coke / "sludge."

4th Gear
    Sorry, but that bird crap pic is funny as hell.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by John_E View Post
    Your cam chain is rattling. When they replaced the CCA, did they replace the cam seals as well? Are you perhaps leaking oil out of the CCA gasket, due to poor installation? (If so, you should smell burning oil on hot idle.) The other possibility is partial blockage of the oil pump by coke / "sludge."
    I don't smell any oil. My records are in the process of being shipped so I don't know EXACTLY what they did. I do know that I have an extra set of CCA gaskets though. Any good way to check or flush sludge?

1st Gear
    This sounds really odd but when I am having this problem the noise goes away. But when that doesn't happen the noise is there.

1st Gear
    Replaced the cam chain tensioner: didn't do much
    Replaced the accessory belt tensioner: noise got better (is usually quieter and happens less often)
    I replaced my timing belt and associated accessory belts a little over a year ago (before the noise started in the first place.)

This is what it STILL sounds like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QemqQOoXfho

3rd Gear
    Wow that sounds bad, STOP running it! It sounds like it's gotten worse. Anything that sounds like that isn't good and i'd take it to the dealer asap, it could cost a bit but in the end it will save you thousands.

1st Gear
    It's gotten better. I've also had an ASE Certified mechanic tell me it is NOT the engine, but something with the accessories or accessory belt. If I loosen the accessory belt tensioner (the one that I replaced) so that the accessory belt is loose, the noise goes away completely.

1st Gear
    Yeh those birds have a great aim....

1st Gear
    Holy crap, I've just realized I've had this problem for a year. Before I tried to fix the problem, it didn't really get worse.

Neutral
    I think it might be you rod bearings. I just fixed a stupid chrysler that had the exact same noise! Most mechanics will avoid telling you this because in order to truly check, you have to remove the oil pan and on the 1.8 it's a bitch!!! You have to drop the subframe and it is labor intensive so it's not pretty! I just did that to my 1.8 because the oil pump screen was clogged and it took me 2 hours just to drop the subframe!! Good luck!

1st Gear
    Some of the crankshaft pulley bolts were loose. I tightened all the bolts down and it went away. One wouldn't come out. I'll have to deal with that later...

1st Gear

This is the same noise mine had when I bought it....

I thought it was the lifters making noise from oil starvation, it ended up being the cam chain tensioner not getting enough oil pressure to pump it up. I ended up dropping the pan and cleaning the oil pick up screen. Noise is gone. I would check the oil pressure with an external gauge to determing actual oil pressure and go from there. Don't jump to conclusions, be methodical in your troubleshooting. Don't throw parts at it, it will get expensive.

Jet Wrench

28. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information