Oil sending Unit Location?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Oil sending Unit Location?

Hello All,

Anyone know where the oil sending unit is located on a 99 1.8T? I got a nice pillar pod and oil pressure gauge so I have to mount the included oil sending unit and take out the Passat stock one. Cheers as always guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

the deal finder!
    it should be on the oil cooler flange. i wouldn't recommend taking out the stock oil pressure switch, since your car would always read low oil pressure.

1st Gear
    Mmmm so towards the back of the engine then? Would it be possible to hook my new gauge up to that sending unit then?

the deal finder!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobenis
    Mmmm so towards the back of the engine then? Would it be possible to hook my new gauge up to that sending unit then?
    no, that is only an oil switch. i believe there should be a plug that you could remove to put the sensor on on the oil cooler flange (where the oil filter is connected to).

alternatively, you can also use the oil pressure relocation kit from 42dd
    http://www.42draftdesigns.com/product/42004.htm

1st Gear
    Ah so without that kit..I cannot use both my aftermarket sending unit and the stock one together or attach the wire from my new gauge to the stock sending unit?

the deal finder!
    i believe that the oil cooler does have an extra hole with a plug that could be removed for the oil pressure sender unit, but not 100% sure.

1st Gear
    Oh that would be a bonus! I don't know my way around this particular engine so any clue on the area I should look? Cheers for all your help D.

the deal finder!
    Oh that would be a bonus! I don't know my way around this particular engine so any clue on the area I should look? Cheers for all your help D.
    oil cooler is where the oil filter is attached to, under the coolant overflow tank.

1st Gear
    Ah ok I know where u are talking about. So just search around on the cooler for a capped threaded hole?

the deal finder!
    Ah ok I know where u are talking about. So just search around on the cooler for a capped threaded hole?
    yeah, you should check for it.

check on these threads:

Oil Pressure gauge install....huh?

Oil pressure sender on AWM?

1st Gear
    Cheers for that D. I will try this out today and see if my 99 has better luck that the other later models since it seems a plastic hose is in the way of the #10 threaded hole I will keep you posted

1st Gear
    Well it would have fit if it were not for the top oil coolinh hose. THe sending unit is just too fat to screw into #10 without hitting the hose This sucks!

the deal finder!
    Well it would have fit if it were not for the top oil coolinh hose. THe sending unit is just too fat to screw into #10 without hitting the hose This sucks!
    then just get the oil pressure relocation kit linked to above. you can use that location for oil temp if you wish, since the sender is much smaller.

Neutral
    Bobenis what if you moved the stock oil sender over to the #10 spot, would they then both fit. Just curious b/c I am getting ready to take this on with my 2003 1.8

1st Gear
    Ah, brilliant idea LM03! I will try that for sure. I will keep you posted. You tha man

4th Gear
    Did it work? I was about to do mine today, but it didn't look like the picture on 42dd. Is the #10 screw the one 90 degrees to the stock sender (5mm hex)? If so, it looks like the stock sender would fit.

1st Gear
    Hello,

Well in theory it should work 100%. I tried it and took out the #10 plug and put the stock sending unit in that location but for some odd reason my aftermarket oil sending unit's threads were larger and would not screw into the initial stock sending unit's location so I couldn't get it to work. Perhaps my sending unit is the real culprit as if it had fit, all would be perfect! Give it a shot as it all lies with your aftermarket sending unit. Keep me posted! Cheers!

4th Gear
    I just tried it. No go. On an AEB the stock sender is too wide to fit in the #10 hole. My 10Mx1 sending unit fit perfectly in the stock location.

I think if I could find an adapter about 3/4 inch long, I could get my aftermatket sender to work.

4th Gear
    VDO VW tee works! You have to put it in a very specific position, but it can be done. Tighten everything up or it will leak. See pic:
    Last edited by TwoManyPassats; 06-01-2006 at 04:35 PM.

21. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information