STOP Engine Oil Pressure
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

STOP Engine Oil Pressure

Please Help.... I have an 2003 Passat GLX 4 Motion. Its a 2.8L V6. I got the STOP Engine Oil Pressure message recently. I got this message after driving for about five minutes. I shut the car off immediately. The car was placed in neutral was pushed out of the middle of the street. When I checked the oil, you could barely see anything on the stick. I was surprised my oil was so low because my car had its last oil change at 31,400 miles. When I got the message it read 35,200. I knew it was time for an oil change but I figured I had a little time before I rushed right in.

I put 3 quarts of Synthetic oil 5W-40 like the book says. It started fine and I drove home. The next day (4/5) I took it to the dealer. They gave me the line about 1 quart per 1000 miles (now I know it was a line after searching the web). I asked them to check for leaks. Dealer says ok. I told them to go ahead and do the oil change.

The dealer also says there was a recent recall on my car for the fuel pump and that would be fixed as well. I didn't know about that b/c I didn't get a letter yet.

When I got my car back, dealer says no leaks and to check the oil frequently when I go and get gas. This seems crazy.

They also changed the fuel pump, (glad about that b/c I didn't know about that until I found this website; no charge, b/c car is under warranty.)

No explanation about STOP OIL Pressure sign except to keep checking oil.

I am concerned b/c of all the stuff I read here. Does it sound like my car may have a bigger engine problem. Help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by lcoffee
    Please Help.... I have an 2003 Passat GLX 4 Motion. Its a 2.8L V6. I got the STOP Engine Oil Pressure message recently. I got this message after driving for about five minutes. I shut the car off immediately. The car was placed in neutral was pushed out of the middle of the street. When I checked the oil, you could barely see anything on the stick. I was surprised my oil was so low because my car had its last oil change at 31,400 miles. When I got the message it read 35,200. I knew it was time for an oil change but I figured I had a little time before I rushed right in.

I put 3 quarts of Synthetic oil 5W-40 like the book says. It started fine and I drove home. The next day (4/5) I took it to the dealer. They gave me the line about 1 quart per 1000 miles (now I know it was a line after searching the web). I asked them to check for leaks. Dealer says ok. I told them to go ahead and do the oil change.

The dealer also says there was a recent recall on my car for the fuel pump and that would be fixed as well. I didn't know about that b/c I didn't get a letter yet.

When I got my car back, dealer says no leaks and to check the oil frequently when I go and get gas. This seems crazy.

They also changed the fuel pump, (glad about that b/c I didn't know about that until I found this website; no charge, b/c car is under warranty.)

No explanation about STOP OIL Pressure sign except to keep checking oil.

I am concerned b/c of all the stuff I read here. Does it sound like my car may have a bigger engine problem. Help.
    Keep a few quarts in your car and just watch it. If it repeats and the oil is not low, have it checked. Actually check it even if it is low. V6s are not sludge prone and you don't have too many miles on the car. Also, you don't need to be quite so literal about the STOP message. Ten seconds to get over to the shoulder would have been okay. These engines are built tight and hold oil for a while.

Neutral
    What type of oil should I put in the car. The dealer told me 5W-30, not synthetic. Thanks

2nd Gear
    Synthetic is ok, but your engine may consume it faster than regular oil. You should check it more often though. I use Castrol synthetic 0w-30 and it uses about .5 quarts in 5k miles.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by lcoffee
    What type of oil should I put in the car. The dealer told me 5W-30, not synthetic. Thanks
    You certainly MAY use synthetic in the V6, and MUST use synthetic in the 1.8T. If you are using too much 30-weight oil, try 10W-40 during warm weather or 0W-40/5W-40 (unfortunately only available in synthetic) if your winters are cold. Also, you may find that your engine consumes less 10W-30 oil than 5W-30, just because the 10W-30s tend to be a bit more robust and less likely to shear downward in viscosity as they age.

I have a 2001 1.8T and a 1996 12-valve V6, and neither engine consumes anywhere near 1 qt. per 1k mi / 1.5k km.

5th Gear
    30V V6's certainly are known for burning oil and 1 qt per 1000 miles is pretty much the industry standard, except for Mercedes. If you feel it's burning a qt per 100 or more, tell them you want an oil consumption test done. Basically, they're to change the oil,at your expense,document the level then have you return in 1000 miles to check it. If it's 1 qt/1000 miles or less, then you're within factory tolerences. If it's more, they have to correct it...

8. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information