Transmission problem? Car jumps when put in gear.
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Transmission problem? Car jumps when put in gear.

First off - Does this belong in the garage? I haven't been here in awhile.

I have a 2004 Passat Wagon. On cold days when I put the car into drive from park the car rocks forward violently. It feels like taking your foot off the clutch much too fast in a manual transmission. If I put the car into reverse for a second and then drive it doesn't seem to be as bad. Or if I wait 10 minutes for the car to warm up it isn't as bad.

At first I thought it was because I wasn't pressing hard enough on the brakes while shifting into gear, but that is not the case. I am fairly certain the problem is related to the trans but I guess it could be from the engine or brakes. The trans seems fine in most other conditions, except that it sometimes clunks if I accelerate and then abruptlly take foot off of gas before trans completes a shift.

I have 37K on the car so I guess I will be bringing it to the dealership but I am afraid they will say it is "Normal" or "could not be reproduced".

Any info / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have a tendency to put the car into neutral or park when I am waiting at a red light because the car has a vibration. (VW dealer told me vibration is "within manufacturer spec"). Maybe it is slipping because I am shifting into and out of gear more than usual? Any advice on the engine vibration would also be appreciated.
    Last edited by tuttlenj; 03-01-2006 at 01:32 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    it needs to be taken back to the VWoA daeler(waranty issue) and have them reprogram (reflash) the TCM (transmission control module)computer,thres also a (TSB) tech,serv.bulletin the dealers received on this problem on some model yeras.....there is a write up somewhere on the forumns about the hard engagement/shifting problems....does this do this when it comes off cold(fast)idle too or only when you shift into drive under (cold) high idle speed,not that it should do it in either condition,.......anyway a vechicle does not have to warm up that long,it does more harm overall.take it too the dealer (you might have to leave it all day or overnight to replicate it. good luck

4. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information