When my car idles it smells like burning oil
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    4th Gear

When my car idles it smells like burning oil

When my car idles it smells like burning oil. I had my oil changed about 400 miles ago, so I know it is not the possibility of the slow burning synthetic oil (that might have spilled to be causing this). Any ideas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    My car is the 1.8T and I've been getting the same smell for the last few weeks, and it's only at idle. I just had it in for the 45K service and the tech found a crack in one of the hoses. It's a t shaped hose just at the top rear of the engine near the firewall. They had to order it and I have an appointment to have it replaced early next week. Your car, being a V6, doesn't have the same plumbing, but both engines have systems to recirculate engine vapors, so that is one place to look to. I've also read posts on V6 engines that the cam seals can leak and give off that smell. The other logical place to look at on the V6 is the valve cover gaskets. I'm sure there can be other things as well, after all, it is a VW.

4th Gear
    Been there ... done that, with a 1.8T. In my case, the cause was a leaky cam chain adjuster gasket. A loose valve cover or a bad valve cover gasket can trigger the same odiferous symptoms. the human nose is very sensitive, and the exhaust manifold is near the fresh air inlet, so it doesn't take much of an oil leak to create quite an odor.

Neutral
    OK, I've had a burning smell as well for a number of months. Ignored it for a while until I actually started seeing drips of oil on my driveway. Took it in to get it worked on and they replaced the valve cover gasket, Cam gasket/seal and another seal/gasket on the transmission as they said all seemed to either have leaked or were leaking. After the work I still had a slight drip of oil but from about center of the car. I looked under the car and there was a whole mess of oil, so I went to the car wash and washed the under carriage and now there is no more leak. But after all this, the oil smell is stil there. It is definately not as bad as it was before, but it is still there. While I'm in the car I can smell it mostly at idle. When I shut the car off and then pop the hood and start sniffing around, it seems to be the strongest coming up from under the area around the air filter. Could this be a residual smell that I have left over from all my leaks (I did have alot of oil residue in the underside of the engine when I changed my oil two weeks ago)? Or could the smell be coming from somewhere else or maybe (dare I say it) another leak somewhere? Thanks for the help. Mark

2000/01 1.8T

2nd Gear
    MarkStahl,

Get some PurplePower or other kind of engine cleaner that you can later wash off. Spray it liberally all over the rear of the engine, and on the exhaust side of the head. Really get the engine clean and rinse it off. Repeat until the engine is really clean, and use a tooth brush if needed.

Then drive the car as usual and see if the smell comes back within a week or so. If not, it was just residual oil. If it does, you've located your leak. It'll show up quite clearly.

is a sweetheart
    Check your power steering fluid level. On previous generations of Audi's w/ the 2.8 V6, the high pressure hose going from the pump to the rack was prone to leaking and mine would drip power steering fluid onto the back of the engine and exhaust.

2nd Gear
    markstahl - Also check your PCV valves and plumbing. Had a cracked plastic piece (attached to the engine) and clogged valve that were causing the oil smell in the case of my '98.

One more time, and I'm outta here
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John_E
    In my case, the cause was a leaky cam chain adjuster gasket. A loose valve cover or a bad valve cover gasket can trigger the same odiferous symptoms.
    Great call. Before p-son's car died he had the same problem. Turned out to be the cam seals.

RIP mighty V6.

Neutral
    Thanks for the advice. Is there any resource to locate all the PCV hoses and valves? (Pictures would be helpful, How is the Haynes or Chiltons manual for this?) Also where is a good place to buy parts? Thanks

11. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information