Size Wrench Needed for O-2 Sensor Removal?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Size Wrench Needed for O-2 Sensor Removal?

What size wrench will I need to replace my O-2 sensor? I'm going to use the crows foot and want to make sure I buy the right size. IIRC - 21 or 22mm??

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    22mm

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Garpo
    What size wrench will I need to replace my O-2 sensor? I'm going to use the crows foot and want to make sure I buy the right size. IIRC - 21 or 22mm??
    do yourself a favor and by a O2 sensor socket. the size you need is 7/8" (22mm). with the socket you can set the torque correctly.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by modifiedA4
    do yourself a favor and by a O2 sensor socket. the size you need is 7/8" (22mm). with the socket you can set the torque correctly.

I would prefer the socket but it is around $30CDN compared to $10 for the crows foot. Does the socket have a slit in it to fit over the wire? I would prefer not to cut any wires. It looks like I can go with either a 7/8 or 22mm - will either size work?

4th Gear
    I would prefer the socket but it is around $30CDN compared to $10 for the crows foot. Does the socket have a slit in it to fit over the wire? I would prefer not to cut any wires. It looks like I can go with either a 7/8 or 22mm - will either size work?
    yeah the socket has the slit of the side for the wires. I guess you could buy a regular socket and modify it with a die grinder. simple enough.

7/8" is 22.22mm so yeah, either size should work. a crows foot is fine too

2nd Gear
    monkey Wrench......... sad part is I'm not kidding!!!

the deal finder!
    the socket with the slit makes it way easier to remove the o2 sensor.

1st Gear
    Thanks everyone. I managed to find the socket for much cheaper than I thought and bought it. I couldn't find the torque value in the Haynes - does anyone know what to torque it down to?

4th Gear
    According to the Bentley, the Front is 37 ft-lb, I can't find any torque for the rear. The Bentley does mention to use grease G 052 112 A3 to lube the sensor going in, and to not get the grease in the "slit" of the sensor.

SirWired

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by sirwired
    According to the Bentley, the Front is 37 ft-lb, I can't find any torque for the rear. The Bentley does mention to use grease G 052 112 A3 to lube the sensor going in, and to not get the grease in the "slit" of the sensor.

SirWired
    FYI, a high temp anti-seize paste can suffice for the special grease. I was very careful not to put too much on, and to only put it on the threads.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by modifiedA4
    FYI, a high temp anti-seize paste can suffice for the special grease. I was very careful not to put too much on, and to only put it on the threads.
    Apparently the sensor comes with a bit of anti-sieze on the threads already. Do you think I need to smear on some more? Also, is it easier to remove while the engine is warm or cold?

4th Gear
    Apparently the sensor comes with a bit of anti-sieze on the threads already. Do you think I need to smear on some more? Also, is it easier to remove while the engine is warm or cold?
    i honestly thought it came with some on there too...though i cant remember for sure, i have pics of the new sensor at home which i can post later.

i did mine with the cat warm, for no particular reason...

Neutral
    Do you need a VAG to do this, will putting on the new connector trigger any codes? Is it okay to spray some PB blaster on there before hand to help out any rust?

thanks

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by petery11
    Do you need a VAG to do this, will putting on the new connector trigger any codes? Is it okay to spray some PB blaster on there before hand to help out any rust?

thanks
    no vag needed, pb blaster would be fine, though its going to stink as it burns off the cat later on.

Neutral
    hey modified,

I just took a look at the 02 sensor, and it seems like its angled on the pipe, i have gotten the socket yet, is there going to be any clearance problems with a rachet hitting the air box? Ahh maybe I can use my swivel head extensions for the first time.

Also, I was following all the wire back to the connector, I assume it's with the group of 5 or so , (Brown, Black, Grey, Blue, Green) that I would get too after I pulled the coolant expansion tank forward right? Do you remember if the connector is going to be pushed upward when going in, or pushed downwards when going in. Also do you recall if this is one of the audi/vw, push/then pull deals like with the coilpacks

thanks alot

1st Gear
    I'm going to replace my (pre-cat) O-2 sensor tomorrow. Looks like the ratchet will work just fine with a long extension on it. FYI - on my car, the connector is the black one. You just have to trace the O-2 sensor lead and see where it ends up. My connector separates by pressing the tab down with my thumb and then pulling apart.

2nd Gear
    Just had my raer 02 sensor replaced yesterday. It seems the local rodant population likes to get warm on the exhaust AND chew on wires. A local B5er (Kraut-sled aka Randy) has a shop that did the work. Props to those guys at Autobahn Premier Service!

The Bosch came with grease on the threads and it was a bitch to get at that rear sensor on a 1.8t with tip! They had to cut a 22mm wrench so it would fit in there. Fortunately it came from Randy's cheaper tool set.

Defiantely better to wait till the exhaust cools too!

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by petery11
    hey modified,

I just took a look at the 02 sensor, and it seems like its angled on the pipe, i have gotten the socket yet, is there going to be any clearance problems with a rachet hitting the air box? Ahh maybe I can use my swivel head extensions for the first time.

Also, I was following all the wire back to the connector, I assume it's with the group of 5 or so , (Brown, Black, Grey, Blue, Green) that I would get too after I pulled the coolant expansion tank forward right? Do you remember if the connector is going to be pushed upward when going in, or pushed downwards when going in. Also do you recall if this is one of the audi/vw, push/then pull deals like with the coilpacks

thanks alot
    well i looked on my home computer and its seems i didnt take any pics of the O2 sensor install. So from memory, when i replaced the precat o2 sensor (on the ATW, precat only, there is a cheap VW $20 sensor which is completely compatible and costs about $100 less), i used a O2 sensor socket with a universal joint and a 3ft extension. The 3ft extension was purchased for the cat bolts, so a shorter one may work fine.

on the ATW the precat sensor plug goes under the coolant tank. I believe it was the second plug from the left. you can swivel out the whole plug from the firewall connector, which makes it easier to work on. I believe the plug was white or grey. anyway, if you trace the wires back, you'll get the right one. here's the only applicable pic i have, you can see the grouping of plugs under the coolant tank to the right of the pic:

the front sensor:

20. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information