Is it too early to change a tire worn to 5/32?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Is it too early to change a tire worn to 5/32?

My front tires (stock Michelin's) are now worn to 4/32 and back tires are at 5/32 (22K on them). Would it be too early to change those? Per CR test half-worn tires lose quite a bit of wet traction (-8%) as well as snow and ice traction (-15%). At the same time I realize that I can get at least additional 10K before these tires are officially worn. Anybody care to comment?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Founder of the STFA
    Quote Originally Posted by crow22
    My front tires (stock Michelin's) are now worn to 4/32 and back tires are at 5/32 (22K on them). Would it be too early to change those? Per CR test half-worn tires lose quite a bit of wet traction (-8%) as well as snow and ice traction (-15%). At the same time I realize that I can get at least additional 10K before these tires are officially worn. Anybody care to comment?
    I had tires with similar wear on my car when I slid backwards into a bridge abuttment on an interstate.

Whatever you do, don't just replace two.

Punches Dubs. True Story
    Blog Entries
    If you can find some cheap wheels for the winter, get yourself a good set of snow tires for now. You can pop the almost-worns back on in the spring and get your additional 10k miles out of them.

(Depending on how much you drive, they could last you the entire spring/summer and then some.)

PZ
    Redline
    Your tires are halfway to bald not half worn. The wear bars are at 3/32 (iirc),that is when the tires are worn out. You have gone thru 3/4 of the useful tread life. It is far safer to replace them all.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ
    Your tires are halfway to bald not half worn. The wear bars are at 3/32 (iirc),that is when the tires are worn out. You have gone thru 3/4 of the useful tread life. It is far safer to replace them all.

CR defined half-worn tires in their test as tires with 5/32 tread left, which may be not entirely correct, as you pointed out. I guess, they meant that it is a mid-point on a 10/32 tread tire (when new). I would not argue about the definitions, as I'm too inclined to change them now.

P.S. I did not know, that the wear bars are at 3/32, I assumed that they are at 2/32 (which is the legal limit of tread wear)

3rd Gear
    I would say those tires are pretty much gone, especially if you get any amount of snow or even just rain in your area. You could run them a little while longer, but I would put the tires with the most tread remaining on the front.

3rd Gear
    Safest option is to get new tires. There are some good, inexpensive ones at ~$50/tire.

I'd only use tires with a small amount of tread if it were on dry pavement.

9. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information