Where to buy G12 coolant?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2nd Gear

Where to buy G12 coolant?

Where can I buy G12 coolant?

I looked at Walmart, Autozone and Advanced auto and nobody had it. Is the dealership the only place to get it?

Walmart had Prestone Dura-???, some new formula, that said it was compatable with any type of antifreeze. Can I use that?

Can anybody help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Yes dealer is only place you can get the G12 but you CAN use other brand long as you have ALL the system flushed out. Just don't mix with other.

Neutral
    If you are still under warranty pickup G12 from the dealer,otherwise dexcool is a direct replacement. http://www.motor.com/MAGAZINE/Pdf/082004_04.pdf

2nd Gear
    ^Why is that? a G12 is only $20 better off not to take any risk
    just my little 2cents

Lefties have rights, too!
    Quote Originally Posted by MajinBuu^-^
    ^Why is that? a G12 is only $20 better off not to take any risk
    just my little 2cents
    I agree but it just sucks how much money the dealer gets for this stuff!

Neutral

factory fluids not with VW labels available (for most fluids)

Quote Originally Posted by shuPASSAT
    Yes dealer is only place you can get the G12 but you CAN use other brand long as you have ALL the system flushed out. Just don't mix with other.
    I'm looking at a bottle of Pentosin G001200 which is the same as G12 from the information I had when I bought it. I found the local parts house that supplies parts to VW, Volvo, MB, BMW and Jags. Don't remember the price. It wasn't cheap but was less than dealer's version. CLUBB5 discount given. Did the same with brake fluid and power steering fluid. Have not found the 75w90 manual gear oil and went with the dealer's at 20% off from a local dealer with the club discount Drew VW (near San Diego, Drewparts.com).
    Last edited by PGevanthor; 11-27-2005 at 06:57 AM. Reason: add title

Neutral
    Germanautoparts.com

1st Gear
    Yes dealer is only place you can get the G12...
    Wrong. $9.55@ECS Tuning

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by empire
    If you are still under warranty pickup G12 from the dealer,otherwise dexcool is a direct replacement. http://www.motor.com/MAGAZINE/Pdf/082004_04.pdf

Great article! Thanks!!

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWdriver
    Wrong. $9.55@ECS Tuning
    ECS sells pentosin and it's only 1.5L..................... I'm sure it's fine to use their's but he was asking for G12.

Lefties have rights, too!
    ECS sells pentosin and it's only 1.5L..................... I'm sure it's fine to use their's but he was asking for G12.
    IIRC Pentosin is who makes VWs coolant. So either should be fine.

2nd Gear
    Why cant they be mixed?

2nd Gear
    Pentosin is the factory fill G12. p/n ZVW 237 G12. We sell is for 12.89 for a 1.5 litre concentrate here at my shop.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by elton
    Why cant they be mixed?
    Jelly in your radiator is a bad idea!

4th Gear
    Not sure.................. is it safe to mix those two together though? If it is then my mistake. I just think it's quicker to just go to any VW/Audi dealer and pick on up for $20(1gal).

Overdrive
    G-12 and Pentosin fluids together are ok since they are formulated the same. G-12 and the majority of the green/orange stuff out there is a no-no.

You'll get funky colored jelly and that = bad!

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Klass
    G-12 and Pentosin fluids together are ok since they are formulated the same. G-12 and the majority of the green/orange stuff out there is a no-no.

You'll get funky colored jelly and that = bad!
    Klass what is the formulation of the orange stuff and what is the formulation of the pink stuff!

2nd Gear
    i have topped off mine with dex approved and not had a problem. I was told on this board it was ok. Look for the gallon jug with the orange top. Its practly the same color.

6th Gear
    I made a mistake of topping off with the non G12 coolant a few years ago, and it started to jell up inside the bottle.

I've since flushed out the G12, and replaced it with the New Prestone® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant. for less than half the G12 stuff, readily available at your local Wally. Plus no more worries about topping off with the wrong color coolant. Save your $, flush out the G12 and use the new Prestone coolant. With 2 blistering Houston summer heat, and over 35K miles running on this stuff with no problem.

New Prestone® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant is compatible with ANY antifreeze/ coolant – regardless of color – for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks. This patented formula provides a high degree of performance durability and carefully balanced protection against temperature extremes and rust corrosion of all cooling system metals, including aluminum.

2nd Gear
    how often do you really need to flush/ top off your coolant? it's not like an oil change that you have to do every 2 month. I bought my G12 last winter, and now still have a half bottle left. IMO go for the G12.

4th Gear
    I'm changing the serpentine-belts and doing a coolant flush on the W8 this weekend, and I purchased Pentosin's G12 (pink) coolant and some Redline Water Wetter.

No drama, no fuss, no goop in the radiator! :-)

Neutral
    i just buy it from the dealership... i figure why take the risk over 10 to 15 bucks

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by 1.8Psst
    i just buy it from the dealership... i figure why take the risk over 10 to 15 bucks
    I think its more the fact its one more "little" thing that the vw dealers and vw can rape us on.

1st Gear
    And one more fact would be that maybe, just maybe, if you have ever familiarized yourselves (though I think you haven't, much) with different alloys used in engine blocks, you would decide to use the 'manufacturers recommendation'. The reason is quite simple, what do you think happens, when you use a coolant that has say 50 percent less of rust preventing inhibitors there should be running with the fluid? Engine is quite sensitive to changes like this, and soon enough you might just see your engine block rusting from the inside out.

Cheers from Finland.

I'm just itching to be Banned NEWMAN'SOWN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimme View Post
    And one more fact would be that maybe, just maybe, if you have ever familiarized yourselves (though I think you haven't, much) with different alloys used in engine blocks, you would decide to use the 'manufacturers recommendation'. The reason is quite simple, what do you think happens, when you use a coolant that has say 50 percent less of rust preventing inhibitors there should be running with the fluid? Engine is quite sensitive to changes like this, and soon enough you might just see your engine block rusting from the inside out.

Cheers from Finland.
    Well said.

I cheated a little and just topped off my coolant reservoir with some prestone. It ended up causing my radiator hose to leak, causing me 300 in damage, and I was stuck on the side of the road. I consider myself luck to have gotten away so easily for my ignorance.

2nd Gear
    Wow...I can't believe it's been 3 1/2 years since I started this thread. Crazy how time flies

I'm just itching to be Banned NEWMAN'SOWN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glx4mo View Post
    Wow...I can't believe it's been 3 1/2 years since I started this thread. Crazy how time flies

3rd Gear
    you can get dealership parts else where, you just got to search for it

Neutral
    My coolant level is below MIN. Can I add some distilled water (at least to bring it up to MIN) before I can drive to the dealership ?

3rd Gear
    Should be fine topping off with distilled water for the drive, just be sure to balance at least even with G12 before freezing temps hit.

When my coolant flange was leaking (summertime) I used primarily distilled water to top off until I could swap the part.

Way to bump a 5 year old thread, btw.

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information