Getting Blank Key Cut
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Getting Blank Key Cut

So, I purchase a switch blade remote with a new blank on Ebay for 30 bucks then I call my local VW dealership and ask if they can cut my
    blank for me, They tell me that there wont be a problem and they even say they wont charge me for cutting either. So I go there give them
    the switch blade key and my original master key, they look at and slide it back to me and says sorry we cant cut this, I ask why and they give me some lame A@@ answer that unless I have another switch blade remote already cut they are not allowed to cut the blank for me and under the same breath he tells me that I can order the top part of the remote from VW and they will send me a cut key . Then they would be happy to cut the blank for me.
    On my way home I stop at a local locksmith, the kid inside tells me no problem and $15.00 later I'm driving home with my new key to Stuart Volkswagen in Florida

Thanks for letting me vent.... Darold

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Ya, dealers are hit or miss. Here especially cuase it isn't a standard, text book thing for them to do.

Although my local stealer is lame, there is one dude in the parts area who seems to be a VW Appreciater. Talk mods to him for a little bit, talk new VWs a little more, and then had him cut the key. No charge. Just the disclaimer that if he screwed it up then I couldn't cry. I agreed.

Ah at least at 45USD total you are still 100+ under the dealer price.

3rd Gear
    That's a lot better than what my dealership told me too. Just for shits I asked How much it would cost to replace my key and they said it would be just under $200 because they had to have them laser cut in Germany.

Do you think I could order one of those blanks and transfer the inside of my messed up key to that one? The stealership fucked up one of my keys and wouldn't admit to it.

3rd Gear
    City VW in San Diego cut mine - props to them! They were hesitant, saying that it was an aftermarket blank and they wouldn't guarantee it, but it works fine!

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree
    That's a lot better than what my dealership told me too. Just for shits I asked How much it would cost to replace my key and they said it would be just under $200 because they had to have them laser cut in Germany.

Do you think I could order one of those blanks and transfer the inside of my messed up key to that one? The stealership fucked up one of my keys and wouldn't admit to it.
    If you are talking about the metal key , yes you can simply add the new blank to the remote and vise-versa you can put the new remote with the old key, being a 2004 you will have to get it programed. If you need a new remote I have one that will work with your car it has the AM at the end of the serial # I mistakenly bought one on Ebay without knowing better. it's in like new shape I can send pic. if needed, I'll let it go for $25 shipped.
    Thats less than I payed for it, it will need a new blank thought it came with the old key on it...

Neutral
    If that previous poster doesn't buy it, send me a message, I am interested.

3rd Gear
    So how much would the stealership charge me to get it programmed? If I can have another good key for $50 or less I am down but if not I'll just stick with the one remote key I have.

digvid- I would be willing to take that key of your hands but the thing is the dealership screwed up the remote and the key so I need a whole new one. If you could point me in the right direction on where to get one it would be much appreciated.

Neutral
    I went today,2-16-2011 to ask about a new new and valet key. Main key $180 and $103 to program, valet key $55 , after market is $29.00 I think I will check and see if they will cut the after market key for me and prior to buying it.

2nd Gear
    Part of the problem is that the cheap Ebay blanks are made with steel. The OEM blades are brass. Trying to cut a steel blank on a machine made for brass can't be a good thing.

Neutral
    Lost my remote/key a while back ( 18 month old went through a phase where he was throwing everything he could get his hands on straight into the trash, I suspect it is buried in the landfill ).

Anyway, each time I've asked about a replacement key at the dealership, hoping the price may go down a little over the last 2 years, they quote $400.

This is for a 2002 Passat, switch blade style key. Is this what you guys are referring to here?

4th Gear
    Holy sh*t! Way to bump a 6 year old thread!

Neutral
    just noticed the original posting date... I don't think I did that, but hope it wasn't bad etiquette or anything!

2nd Gear
    hah i had a similar situation. in new jersey i went to the local VW dealership near where i am staying and asked them if they could cut the blank key and the parts guy says "we don't have a key cutter anymore because you need a PHD to run the damn thing." he then told me that for a killer deal (like $200) he could give me a key with the remote already cut if i gave him my vin. i said "yeah let me get my vin real quick" and proceeded down the road to the local audi dealership. the audi dealership cut my key for free in about 2 min. it has worked great since then.

Neutral
    Nothing wrong in my mind with resurecting an old thread if it still contains valid info, or pertains to the exact same subject, which yours does.
    I am in more or less the same position as you and was just about to post the same sort of question...I recently bought a key blank from ebay to use as an extra key for my wifes Passat. Called my my local dealer and they tell me that they do not cut keys anymore...instead they order them from Germany with the VIN, At least that is what they told me.
    So instead I found a good locksmith who will cut the blank, but can NOT program the transponder.
    Called another dealer and they said they would program the new key, but would need all 3 keys to program at the same time asnd charge me $100 to do it...
    Can anyone tell if if this is correct, do ALL of the keys need to be reprogrammend at the same time, or is this just another dealer line of BS to take my money??

TIA

2nd Gear
    Ehh, the key needs to be cut, the "bean" in the key moved to the new blade, and the remote needs to be programmed to the car.

Neutral
    they program them with a VAG scan tool. so the $100 charge is basically for an hour of labor. which would be the same if you just went to have your car scanned for a cel or something along those lines. if you can find someone is your area with a VAG scanner you can save yourself some money.

Neutral
    So just to see if I put all the peiced together before I hop on ebay. For my 04 if I buy new ebay key, blade and botton half. Take it to a local locksmith to get the blade cut, and then to my friendly local indy mech, that has the regular VAG scanner, I can get a new key for under $75 ?

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by mperew8 View Post
    So just to see if I put all the peiced together before I hop on ebay. For my 04 if I buy new ebay key, blade and botton half. Take it to a local locksmith to get the blade cut, and then to my friendly local indy mech, that has the regular VAG scanner, I can get a new key for under $75 ?
    Sort of.

If your indy has paid the $5k-10k for a certified VAG scan tool that connects to the "mothership" in Germany (GEKO server) and charges you nothing to program the immobilizer "key" portion (not the remote), yes.

The Ross-Tech website has a fairly lucid explanation of the system.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/immobilizer.html

Neutral
    Can anyone please tell me if I need to get all 3 keys reprogrammed at once, like the Santa Barbara VW dealership is telling me, or can I simply have ONLY the new key programmed ??

Again I much appreciate ALL of the info on this site...though I have only been a Passat TDI owner for less then 6 weeks, you guys have been very helpful !! TIA

Neutral
    He does have the actual vag scan tool but I don't know if its hooked up to vw germany or not. I have to bring the car to him this week to calibrate the steering angle sensor I just replaced. as far as neededing all 3 keys I never asked the qustion to the dealer but it seems kind of silly, that would mean if you lost a key your can never have a new one? Either or dealer is lazy, stupid, or the 2 of you were having 2 seprate conversations.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by mperew8 View Post
    as far as neededing all 3 keys I never asked the qustion to the dealer but it seems kind of silly, that would mean if you lost a key your can never have a new one? Either or dealer is lazy, stupid, or the 2 of you were having 2 seprate conversations.
    Well those are all possibilities I guess...I will keep checking into it, please let me know what your freind with the VAG can do.

The link to Ross-Tech is a VERY interesting read...alot of info on the different types of Immobilizers used in different generations and their various programming limitations. Of course, I am not sure which generation immobilizer my 2005 uses yet !!

Neutral
    Seafish, according to the Ross-tech site, you need all the keys you have, old and new. The procedure basically resets the ecu and you put each key in, one at a time, and the ecu recognizes and saves each one as a valid key. The physical key doesn't matter, the ecu is looking for the immobilizer "bean". Looks like you have Immo 2 or 3, probably 3. Mine is a 2001 B5.5, made in April 2001. I am waiting for a couple keys to come in the mail, my car came with ONLY the valet key, just bought it in January. I can get them cut at a local locksmith for $15, but depending on how much BS is involved, I may just permanently mount the bean in the column. Easier to do remote start that way anyway.....

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyP27 View Post
    Seafish, according to the Ross-tech site, you need all the keys you have, old and new. The procedure basically resets the ecu and you put each key in, one at a time, and the ecu recognizes and saves each one as a valid key. The physical key doesn't matter, the ecu is looking for the immobilizer "bean". Looks like you have Immo 2 or 3, probably 3. Mine is a 2001 B5.5, made in April 2001. I am waiting for a couple keys to come in the mail, my car came with ONLY the valet key, just bought it in January. I can get them cut at a local locksmith for $15, but depending on how much BS is involved, I may just permanently mount the bean in the column. Easier to do remote start that way anyway.....
    Danny, thanks for clarifying all that, just what I needed to know. Interesting idea about putting the transponder somewhere in the dash or column. Do you know if the bean in each key uses a battery or is more of an RFID chip ??

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by seafish View Post
    Danny, thanks for clarifying all that, just what I needed to know. Interesting idea about putting the transponder somewhere in the dash or column. Do you know if the bean in each key uses a battery or is more of an RFID chip ??
    Just a chip and has nothing to do with the battery in the remote. Remote battery can be dead and the car will detect the chip to start.

2nd Gear
    ok, the casing for my key (i only have one switch blade style and the valet) has cracked and has been held by tape for some time and lately the blade (broke?) from the casing but i was able to glue it back. only now it doesnt automatically flip out anymore....

anyway, i have a 2000 b5. do all keys have tis immobilizer bean you guys are talking about? or can it just get a blank key off ebay and get it cut? thanks!

Neutral
    I got a switchblade key for my 98 off ebay for $35 but no one in the Indianapolis area will cut it for less than $50, and the dealership won't even cut it. But they will sell me a new one for $65. So I think im going to bite the bullet and buy a new key.

Neutral
    I bought a key blank off of E-Bay and then got a old remote from a bucket of lost remotes from the dealer sales floor for free. The service department cut the blank E-Bay key and programed the immobilizer chip located in the key blank head with my car. I believe they charged me 60 bucks to cut and program the remote. I then used a 15% off dealer coupon on the service. This key and remote works way better then the original one dose.

Too bad all dealers don't help out the way mine has. Props to Thelen VW in Bay City Michigan, going the extra mile without the extra charges.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ras3382 View Post
    I got a switchblade key for my 98 off ebay for $35 but no one in the Indianapolis area will cut it for less than $50, and the dealership won't even cut it. But they will sell me a new one for $65. So I think im going to bite the bullet and buy a new key.
    I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. The newer remotes (cut and programmed) were around $300 when I looked into an extra a couple years ago. One dealer couldn't even cut the key on-site; they said they had to be special ordered from Germany already cut. lets just say, I try to avoid that dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by tdix2 View Post
    I bought a key blank off of E-Bay and then got a old remote from a bucket of lost remotes from the dealer sales floor for free. The service department cut the blank E-Bay key and programed the immobilizer chip located in the key blank head with my car. I believe they charged me 60 bucks to cut and program the remote. I then used a 15% off dealer coupon on the service. This key and remote works way better then the original one dose.

Too bad all dealers don't help out the way mine has. Props to Thelen VW in Bay City Michigan, going the extra mile without the extra charges.
    I ended up doing this, too. I found a used remote, a new keyend with immobilizer, and a valet key all on ebay. National VW in Jacksonville, NC cut and programmed both for me for $75.

30. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information