DIY changing Air Pump & Combi Valve
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    ems
    3rd Gear

DIY changing Air Pump & Combi Valve

I consider myself a half-assed mechanic has-been. How difficult is it to change out the air pump on a 2000 1.8T? Is it true that the only access is via removing the front bumper?
    Any suggestions on how to access drawings on-line?

Thanks. This website is OUTSTANDING for this kind of help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ems
    I consider myself a half-assed mechanic has-been. How difficult is it to change out the air pump on a 2000 1.8T? Is it true that the only access is via removing the front bumper?
    Any suggestions on how to access drawings on-line?

Thanks. This website is OUTSTANDING for this kind of help.
    the combi valve is a minor PITA. unbolt the hard pipes that run along the top side of the valve cover...secure a vac line pigtail to the new valve before installing it...then use a barbed union to connect it up.

as for the pump...on my A4 it looks pretty accessable from below, ive never taken it off so im not sure if it can be removed from below. it bolts to a bracket...

2nd Gear
    You won't need to remove your front bumper to get at the pump. I found that repacing the combi valve was a piece of cake.... the secondary air pump more of a challenge.

ems
    3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by modifiedA4
    the combi valve is a minor PITA. unbolt the hard pipes that run along the top side of the valve cover...secure a vac line pigtail to the new valve before installing it...then use a barbed union to connect it up.

as for the pump...on my A4 it looks pretty accessable from below, ive never taken it off so im not sure if it can be removed from below. it bolts to a bracket...
    By "vac line pigtail". are you referring to part #30 in the picture? What does the other line connect to?

In addition to the 2-gaskets on either side of the combi valve, what other consumable parts will I need? and/or what else might be prone to breaking when disassembling ( as I've been advised with par #19)??

Thanks again.

4th Gear
    By "vac line pigtail". are you referring to part #30 in the picture? What does the other line connect to?
    Yup...its much easier to cut #30 in half and union the two pieces together than to try to install a hose clamp while the combi valve is installed. the other end connects to a solenoid under the intake manifold.

In addition to the 2-gaskets on either side of the combi valve, what other consumable parts will I need? and/or what else might be prone to breaking when disassembling ( as I've been advised with par #19)??
    Thanks again.
    I dont see why number 19 would be prone to breaking, you dont need to remove that part to change the combi valve. The combi valve itself is made of soft aluminum and you can easily strip the threads out of it.

how do i know?

http://www.modifieda4.com/web/tech/thread-repair.html

i believe the torque spec on those bolts is really low...basically just past hand tight.

The only other thing i'd recommend is a magnetic pickup wand. this is almost a requirement....you will drop a gasket or bolt

ems
    3rd Gear
    Thanks, I should get the parts this week and plan on doing it next weekend.

What is part #31? Is that one of those consumable 1-time clamps?

Are you suggesting to splice part #30 and nt replace it? Isn't that one of those cheap lousy VW 3mm vacuum hoses that I hear everyone complaining about?

4th Gear
    Thanks, I should get the parts this week and plan on doing it next weekend.

What is part #31? Is that one of those consumable 1-time clamps?

Are you suggesting to splice part #30 and nt replace it? Isn't that one of those cheap lousy VW 3mm vacuum hoses that I hear everyone complaining about?
    Yup...cut #30 about midway and use a double ended barb to reconnect the two halves...and yes #31 is a clamp.

ems
    3rd Gear
    where would be a good place to get a double-ended barb and 3mm hose cloamps?

4th Gear
    where would be a good place to get a double-ended barb and 3mm hose cloamps?
    www.mcmaster.com

11. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information