Gas tank ...how big is it really?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Punches Dubs. True Story
    Blog Entries

Gas tank ...how big is it really?

Query:

The owner's manual states that the gas tank on my '05 Passat is 16.4 gallons. When I drive, I'll let the low fuel light come on, check my odo and refuel when the computer tells me I have about 20 miles left to empty.

If I'm getting 24 mpg and have 20 miles to go, I should have just about a gallon of gas left, right?

Why is it that I've never been able to stick more than 13 gallons in at one fill up? Don't get me wrong, I love getting more than 300 miles on 13 gallons of gas, but where's the extra 3.4 gallons of capacity hiding?

Anyone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    I think you have roughly 40 miles more after your computer reads 0 miles left. Don't quote me on that. From my experience I have gone about 10 miles more after my computer read 0 miles left. When I filled up then i could only squeeze 14 gallons in. I beleve that the capacity is 16.4 as stated, but you have at least 2 more gallons in the tank when the computer reads 0 miles left. At least that is what I have gathered from my experience.

Thad.

1st Gear
    I think it is 16.2 in a 99 1.8T

6th Gear
    16.4. You're running into the reserve fuel amount and the conservative nature of the fuel level system. It's just about what everyone is running into.

4th Gear

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by crash893
    LOL

Neutral
    I know that I've put at least 14.9 gallons in, I can't remember if I've done more than that.

Punches Dubs. True Story
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crash893
    That'd be so totally useful if Google would tell me why my system reads empty, but I can only fill up about 13 gallons. Unfortunately, Google has not yet evolved into the type of responsive system that I need ...

And that's why I asked the (mostly) intelligent people on the board for assistance. Don't get me wrong. Your advice to use the non-existent website "justfuckinggoogleit.com" was quite novel and awfully damned friendly of you, but it still failed to answer the question.

Thanks anyway.

2nd Gear
    Do all Passats tell you how many miles you have left in your tank of gas? Or just the new year models?

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by traubenberg

And that's why I asked the (mostly) intelligent people on the board for assistance. Don't get me wrong. Your advice to use the non-existent website "justfuckinggoogleit.com" was quite novel and awfully damned friendly of you, but it still failed to answer the question.

Thanks anyway.
    lol!

I have been running into the same problem because my 99 didn't have that "gas odometer" and I have been trying to milk it to find out how far I can really go before I get close to running out but have yet to put more than ~14.5 gallons in

1st Gear
    hey same here. in my '00 b5 whenever i just hit the ever so polite "please refuel" sign it inhales about 13 gallons or so. but when i am stretching the gas as far as i can i can get it to hit about 15 gallons ( im guessing thats stretching a little TOO far haha )

gas is too expensive in california!!!!!

its teetering under $3/ gal right now. im afraid.

5th Gear
    I've only hit 15 once and that was with the needle past "zero." Is there really a whole 'nother gallon hiding in reserve somewhere?

3rd Gear
    With my '99 1.8T, I filled up with 61 liters last week (16.11 Gallons). I really milk it

In the user manual for a 2001 Passat, it says that whe the fuel light comes on you have about 1.7 gallons in reserve I believe. I usually go more than 40 miles with the fuel light on.

Last week I hit my record miles on a tank of fuel . . . 522 miles (840 kilometers) with mostly highway!! I am very happy with the fuel economy of this car Since the weather has got warmer here in canada, I never get less than 490 miles per tank

By the way, I am running APR chipped with 91-octane fuel, stock adelaides with my Bridgestone Blizzak tires. I drive conservatively.

Regards,
    Bryan

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by bdonkersgoed
    With my '99 1.8T, I filled up with 61 liters last week (16.11 Gallons). I really milk it

In the user manual for a 2001 Passat, it says that whe the fuel light comes on you have about 1.7 gallons in reserve I believe. I usually go more than 40 miles with the fuel light on.

Last week I hit my record miles on a tank of fuel . . . 522 miles (840 kilometers) with mostly highway!! I am very happy with the fuel economy of this car Since the weather has got warmer here in canada, I never get less than 490 miles per tank

By the way, I am running APR chipped with 91-octane fuel, stock adelaides with my Bridgestone Blizzak tires. I drive conservatively.

Regards,
    Bryan
    That's pretty damned good. I tried calculating what I might expect to get. My manual says a 16.2 gallon tank, the MFA says I average about 27 MPG (that is running 87 octane, occasionally 89, and even less frequently 93). That comes to 437.4 miles if I run the tank dry. But my light usually comes on at about 350. WTF????? Problems maybe? And I find adding fuel additives doesn't really help.

3rd Gear
    I am chipped . . . I hear that it can increase the fuel economy. I have the toggle option to switch between stock and chipped, but I don't think I could stand going "unchipped" for a tank of fuel to test it out Hehehe

Lately, my fuel light comes on at about 450 miles or so, and then I try to push it to the limit

Regards,
    Bryan

Neutral
    In my '98 1.8T 5 speed, I figure I can conservatively go another 60 miles with the fuel light on, but if I wanted to, I could probably go 90-100 more miles, depending on the driving conditions. The most miles I've ever gotten out of tank was 503, and I filled the tank with 15.874 gallons (this was (faster) highway driving).

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by redputter
    In my '98 1.8T 5 speed, I figure I can conservatively go another 60 miles with the fuel light on, but if I wanted to, I could probably go 90-100 more miles, depending on the driving conditions. The most miles I've ever gotten out of tank was 503, and I filled the tank with 15.874 gallons (this was (faster) highway driving).
    I don't think you would go an extra 90-100 miles . . . 1.7 gallons of reserve at approximately 38mpg will get you about 65 miles. I usually go an extra 50 miles after the light to be safe . . . If you try to go 90-100 miles, I think you will get stranded somewhere

Regards,
    Bryan

1st Gear
    i drove my grandfathers 99 5psd passat from toledo(maumee) ohio all the way to boarder of north carolina. i dont know how the hell it worked but the needle was just staying on the white line. i was pretty inpressed

Neutral
    I don't think you would go an extra 90-100 miles . . . 1.7 gallons of reserve at approximately 38mpg will get you about 65 miles. I usually go an extra 50 miles after the light to be safe . . . If you try to go 90-100 miles, I think you will get stranded somewhere

Regards,
    Bryan
    I'm pretty sure my light comes on sooner than 1.7 gallons left in the tank. I seem to recall it's more like 2 to almost 3 gallons before dead empty. I always take into account what kind of driving I'm doing, though, as that will really affect how much farther I can go.

2nd Gear
    When mine comes on it will take about 13.7-14gal to fill her back up.

Founder of the STFA
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBondage
    I've only hit 15 once and that was with the needle past "zero." Is there really a whole 'nother gallon hiding in reserve somewhere?
    Welcome back! Posted a pic on my profile today and noticed your post on the thread didn't say "banned". Glad to see some moderation from the Moderators.

3rd Gear
    clearly if you're only putting 13 or so gallons in, and the manual says it'll hold 16.5, you have 3.5 or so gallons left. ours is the same way, and i consider it to be faulty but they're (nearly) all like that and the dealer won't do anything.

when the needle touches the pin (either analog or digitally, they should be in sync), i'd like the car to sputter, not drive for another hour...

a.s.

3rd Gear
    Are you guys sure that you are actually filling the tank up to the very top? Fill it up until the gas almost overflows, and then try your experiment again. The fuel nozzle has a tendenancy to stop filling much before the tank is actually full. It isn't really good for the car to be filled right up to the top (need expansion room), but just give it a try once.

Regards,
    Bryan

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by traubenberg
    That'd be so totally useful if Google would tell me why my system reads empty, but I can only fill up about 13 gallons. Unfortunately, Google has not yet evolved into the type of responsive system that I need ...

Thanks anyway.
    There is also a forum search on the forums

searching under gas capacity i found

this
    This
    and This

also for the less "evolved" who want to use google

typing in the words passat gas capacity yeilds 11,700 results

of that the first page alone has 4 pages that have the capacity of the tank right there.

yes its a newb question and yes ive asked newb questions and probably will ask them in the future BUT dont get all huffy and puffy becuase some one called you out on it.

4th Gear
    do a calculation man, the price of Total $$$ over the price of gas/gallon
    I found out that it's 13 gallon for my 2002 B5.5 1.8T

Founder of the STFA
    But what is the oil capacity on the 1.8T with the new bigger filter???

1st Gear
    wow I rarely get over 290 miles before a fillup. Its a good week if I get anything over 22.1mi/g

4th Gear
    i usually get about 375-400 per tank

( v6) i usualy do about 30 miles a day 15 city and 15 highway

the biggets jump in mpg ive gotten recently is when i found out if i peg the cruse at 55mph and roll home i got about 30mpg

tire pressure is the next biggest thing to affect mpg

rutinly i have about 4 gallons when the light goes on
    and i frequently have to put in about 14.5 to 15 gallons of gas when i feel its to great a risk to keep going.

1st Gear
    I can assure you the tank is 16.2 or .3. I just put 16.1 gallons in the other night! This was on a 98.

4th Gear

Regards,
    Bryan
    Damn....... that's some nice mileage right there. I can get about 400 miles and fill up about 13-14 gals. I don't wanna run my tank dry but I should give it a try next time.

Josh

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information