B5 and B5.5 Questions/Best year of Passat
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

B5 and B5.5 Questions/Best year of Passat

Hey Guys,

Tried searching but it's giving me some problems. I have a few friends looking at some Passats, and I thought I would find out some info. I know the B5 runs from 97-01.5 and the B5.5 runs 01.5-now right? What are the changes associated with each "version?" If you had to buy a passat now, what would be considered the "best year" to buy? I've seen a few people point at the 2002-2003 years for Passat since they have the lighted up A/c vent dials and a few more options that were discontinued. I know with the A4's B5 (97-01) 99.5's are the most sought out year. Since they have all the newer interior changes of the 00 and 01 models, but they are still n-dbw. But my questions are mainly whats the diff. between B5 and B5.5, and if you were buying used, what is the "best year" for the Passat? Thanks.

--Asif

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    with the only knowledge i have,, the B5.5s have chrome trim exterior, which is really nice to have, really... thats how i actually spot passats B5 and B5.5 by their chrome trim.. ^^ good LUCK!

3rd Gear
    I personally prefer the original B5. I think that given common Passsat problems, 2000 is a good year.

Neutral
    All of the changes such as improved relays, better brake pads, improved belt tensioners, and the most time run on the right oil and filter recommendations are in the '04/'05 cars. The '04 had less decontinting than the '05 when equiped the same.

3rd Gear
    Difference between the B5 and B5.5 (just the basic list here):
    The b5.5 was a facelift, and supposedly 23 items were changed. The B5.5 came w/ the projection headlamps, and the revised taillamps for both the wagon and sedan. Minor cosmetic changes on the hood and front end of the car. Chrome trims are abundant on the B5.5- none existent on the original B5s. Interior changes on the B5.5- added chrome rings around the gauges. Revised center/armrest console. The B5.5 is reported to be 15% stiffer than the previous B5 (But this is based on my recollection of the press release i read way back). Engines are however the same, except for some minor changes on parts for 2000 (B5) and later (particularly the 1.8t's TB tensioner)... the 2001-2002 may have seen a lot of the recall based on the coil pack failures(bad batch from manufacturer-- Audi suffered the same too)
    The B5- 97/98 may also have seen a lot of reports about turbo failure due to inadequate heat shielding - and VW supposed to have revised the heat shield for later cars.

We have both the 99 1.8t wagon (b5) and a 2001.5 GLX v6 sedan (B5.5) I like driving the GLX on long trips- comfy, big car feeling, and quiet. the Wagon, currently riding on sports suspension, are for quick runs, or spirited driving, and hauling stuff. (and yes, i have more squeaks and rattle on the b5 than the b5.5- but that's subjective to other owners)...

best year? i'm not sure if there's a "best year" for the Passat B5/B5.5 build.

E

4th Gear
    I have a late-production (end of 2000, model year 2001) B5 wagon with the AUG 1.8T. Since the AUG is mechanically identical to the current production but is chipped to 150 instead of 170hp, I could argue that it may well be the most reliable version of the 1.8T. I did need a cam seal transplant, and I would be interested in seeing a breakdown (so to speak) of sludge and cam seal problems (the two biggies) on 1.8Ts by model year or engine version.

Lefties have rights, too!
    We could proabaly go on forever about which year is the best. And everyone may be right. I guess I would ask "Is there a year to avoid?"

If not, just find one the has very low mileage, in showroom condition, has the options you want, and you can afford. Probably every year has many positives and negatives. I have a '99 and a '02. Both are excellent.

My $0.02.

Neutral
    Thanks guys, any other comments? Thanks.

--Asif

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information