Funky waxy residue on dipstick
NEWS
 
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    3rd Gear
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,428

    Funky waxy residue on dipstick and brown coolant resevior

    Have you ever noticed a yellowish-white residue on the end of the dipstick? I have a 1.8t and I run Mobil1 all the time and just recently noticed this funk on the dipstick. I wonder if this is a sign of water contamination in the oil? Any ideas guys??
    Last edited by B5point5; 01-28-2005 at 05:23 AM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Before Posting, Do a SEARCH
    Posts
    259
    coolant is leaking into your oil . . . . check the oil cooler or head gasket . . . . i would get this taken care of immediately

  4. #3
    3rd Gear
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,428
    wow, if the oil and coolant is mixing then i should be able to look in the radiatior or the coolant tank and see oil there. You seem to have experience with this. Did it happen to you?

  5. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Before Posting, Do a SEARCH
    Posts
    259
    actually no . . . . i just suspected it because my coolant was turning funky colors so i researched it quite a bit.

    You might not see it in your coolant tank yet and you're not necessarily looking for oil but perhaps a brown tinted G12 or small chunks of stuff depending on the severity. Once it starts coagulating, most of it will get stucki n the radiator and will necessitate a radiator replacement if the build up is bad.

    Powertrain warranty will handle this.

  6. #5
    3rd Gear
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,428
    i just checked my coolant, and yes it has a brown tint...didn't notice any oily film though. Unfortunately my powertrain warranty just ran out 350miles ago
    Has anyone had any luck gettin VWOA to cover repairs after the warranty expired??

  7. #6
    4th Gear
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Centreville VA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,715
    it could just be moisture in the oil

    do you have a short daily commute

    try driving it around for an hour and then see if its there the next day

  8. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Before Posting, Do a SEARCH
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by crash893
    it could just be moisture in the oil

    do you have a short daily commute

    try driving it around for an hour and then see if its there the next day
    how do you explain the brown coolant then? not to mention it would have to be a LOT of moisture to cause that on the dipstick . . .

  9. #8
    3rd Gear
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,428
    I would like to think its just moisture in my oil, but I have a 10 mile interstate commute twice a day. I think the oil could get up to tepmerature in that time.

  10. #9
    4th Gear
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Centreville VA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,715
    do you think or do you know

    does your temp thing get all the way up to 190 or whatever the top of it is
    also you might have to keep it at temp for like 30 min or so just to burn off any moisture in the oil.

    could it be a head gasket definetly
    but why not try the easiest fix first then take apart your engine?

  11. #10
    3rd Gear
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,428
    I know the water temp reaches 190F within the first 3 miles or so but I really have no idea if the oil ever reaches full temp because theres no oil temp gauge. I agree to try the simplest fix first. I took it to the local VW dealer this morning and they said there was no oil contamination in the coolant but they thought it had been mixed with non G12 coolant at some point. Its highly unlikely that the coolant was mixed, but they insist it is. The milky film on the dipstick is probably just moisture not coolant. The oil is nice and clear, so there is probably nothing to worry about. I may flush the coolant later just as a precaution.

  12. #11
    2nd Gear
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Va Beach, VA
    Posts
    648
    If you're only 350 miles out of Powertrain then I'd call VWoA ASAP to try to make a claim. THey may shoot you down, but it's at least worth a shot. Try negotiating with them and they may pay for 1/2 of the repair.

  13. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Before Posting, Do a SEARCH
    Posts
    259
    Aw crap . . . so my engine's been having a hard time starting up in the mornings and I partly attributed it to running 5w30 castrol oil during the rinse phase of Auto-RX. Well looking at it this morning, i pulled the dipstick out and there was some crusty yellow stuff on the end of the dipstick. The engine oil was also very dark considering i had only left it in there for 700 miles. Hopefully its just the result of storing my car for 6 weeks over winter break and the cold temperatures. I'm draining that 5w30 dino tomorrow and filling it up with some 5w40 shell synthetic.

  14. #13
    B5V
    B5V is offline
    2nd Gear
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    San Gabriel, CA
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by tidaldm
    Aw crap . . . so my engine's been having a hard time starting up in the mornings and I partly attributed it to running 5w30 castrol oil during the rinse phase of Auto-RX. Well looking at it this morning, i pulled the dipstick out and there was some crusty yellow stuff on the end of the dipstick. The engine oil was also very dark considering i had only left it in there for 700 miles. Hopefully its just the result of storing my car for 6 weeks over winter break and the cold temperatures. I'm draining that 5w30 dino tomorrow and filling it up with some 5w40 shell synthetic.
    tidal, do you know you could run the Rotella 5w40 for the A-Rx rinse. I have it in now..it's actually a dino/hydrocarbon(90-98%) based synthetic oil.

    Yeah, I know it's expensive for just a short term A-Rx oil fill. But I don't mind spending $5-6 more for Rotella if I get better protection/peace of mind...than risk using conventional dino for the hot running turbo in a sludge motor as the 1.8T w/ only 4qts tops.

  15. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Before Posting, Do a SEARCH
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by B5V
    tidal, do you know you could run the Rotella 5w40 for the A-Rx rinse. I have it in now..it's actually a dino/hydrocarbon(90-98%) based synthetic oil.

    Yeah, I know it's expensive for just a short term A-Rx oil fill. But I don't mind spending $5-6 more for Rotella if I get better protection/peace of mind...than risk using conventional dino for the hot running turbo in a sludge motor as the 1.8T w/ only 4qts tops.
    Luckily i have a V6 and a large filter which brings my capacity to between 6.5-6.7 quarts. No worries there. I might just go ahead and change the oil filter as well this weekend. Who knows. Good to hear about the Rotella. Running dino in the winter really is just a bad idea.

  16. #15
    B5V
    B5V is offline
    2nd Gear
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    San Gabriel, CA
    Posts
    605
    A V6..good for you, tidal!

    If I had a V6, I'd be solid for this oil...

    6 1/2 qts of hdeo with a large cap filter in there..yep, you got no worries.

  17. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Before Posting, Do a SEARCH
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by B5V
    A V6..good for you, tidal!

    If I had a V6, I'd be solid for this oil...

    6 1/2 qts of hdeo with a large cap filter in there..yep, you got no worries.
    Only downside is that it takes forever for the oil to get warm. My drives in ithaca aren't that far so unless i'm getting fast food, i can drive to my destination and back and the oil will still be cold.

  18. #17
    B5V
    B5V is offline
    2nd Gear
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    San Gabriel, CA
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by tidaldm
    Only downside is that it takes forever for the oil to get warm. My drives in ithaca aren't that far so unless i'm getting fast food, i can drive to my destination and back and the oil will still be cold.
    Hmmm...Were you using the same wt oil all along before Rotella? Getting the time it takes to reach to operating temp should be of no difference to other 5w40s.

    Well, you guys got the very frigid than normal spell there lately so that explains it.

    I'd say your v6 would be fine....The Rotellas' pour point of -40*C with a robust hdeo add pack is on your side.

  19. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Before Posting, Do a SEARCH
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by B5V
    Hmmm...Were you using the same wt oil all along before Rotella? Getting the time it takes to reach to operating temp should be of no difference to other 5w40s.

    Well, you guys got the very frigid than normal spell there lately so that explains it.

    I'd say your v6 would be fine....The Rotellas' pour point of -40*C with a robust hdeo add pack is on your side.
    Oh i meant the dino 5w30 . . . it doesn't seem to flow as well in the mornings / have the same start up lubrication. Also with the extra half quart in the system, it just makes for very long warm-ups.

    Next thing I'm putting in is Redline Water Wetter for the coolant.

    Dave

  20. #19
    B5V
    B5V is offline
    2nd Gear
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    San Gabriel, CA
    Posts
    605
    Dave, did you notice your engine is quieter with this oil. Compared to other 5w40 pcmo syn oils I've prev used in the 1.8T, this oil made mine dang quiet.

    p.s. This reminds me. I also have a bottle of Water Wett in storage....for a over year now.

  21. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Before Posting, Do a SEARCH
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by B5V
    Dave, did you notice your engine is quieter with this oil. Compared to other 5w40 pcmo syn oils I've prev used in the 1.8T, this oil made mine dang quiet.

    p.s. This reminds me. I also have a bottle of Water Wett in storage....for a over year now.
    Haven't really noticed any difference. Only oils i've ran were mobil 1 10w30, 0w40, 5w40 and shell 5w40. All synths with good protection. i think though on my dad's 03, i changed from 5w30 M1 to the shell and noticed less clatter sounds on startup.

    Dave

  22. #21
    3rd Gear
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,457
    As you guys may have seen, I'm going through a slightly similar problem right now.

    My Check Coolant light came on so I got it checked out. They said the Oil Cooler seals failed and oil was getting into the coolant system. Therefore, there was crud built up in the coolant resevoir and the radiator.

    tidaldm: So you think a new radiator is necessary? I can't just flush the radiator and coolant resevoir?

  23. #22
    4th Gear
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Centreville VA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,715
    the res might degrade with oil

    i dont know why you coudlnt re use the radator?

  24. #23
    1st Gear
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by B5point5
    I know the water temp reaches 190F within the first 3 miles or so but I really have no idea if the oil ever reaches full temp because theres no oil temp gauge. I agree to try the simplest fix first. I took it to the local VW dealer this morning and they said there was no oil contamination in the coolant but they thought it had been mixed with non G12 coolant at some point. Its highly unlikely that the coolant was mixed, but they insist it is. The milky film on the dipstick is probably just moisture not coolant. The oil is nice and clear, so there is probably nothing to worry about. I may flush the coolant later just as a precaution.
    From an earlier post a club member somehow measured the oil temperature during the first few minutes of driving. His findings were a gradual increase of oil temperature to a plateau at about 7-8 minutes after startup with moderate driving. If this data is correct, then your 10 mile trip would barely warm up the engine to full operating temp. For what it's worth.

  25. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Before Posting, Do a SEARCH
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by PassatRide
    From an earlier post a club member somehow measured the oil temperature during the first few minutes of driving. His findings were a gradual increase of oil temperature to a plateau at about 7-8 minutes after startup with moderate driving. If this data is correct, then your 10 mile trip would barely warm up the engine to full operating temp. For what it's worth.
    that's assuming the 10 miles were starting right off on the freeway at 60 mph . . . . His 10 mile drive probably takes between 15-20 minutes each day.

  26. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Before Posting, Do a SEARCH
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by furnace
    As you guys may have seen, I'm going through a slightly similar problem right now.

    My Check Coolant light came on so I got it checked out. They said the Oil Cooler seals failed and oil was getting into the coolant system. Therefore, there was crud built up in the coolant resevoir and the radiator.

    tidaldm: So you think a new radiator is necessary? I can't just flush the radiator and coolant resevoir?
    What are you going to flush it with and do you really think its going to get all of it out?

    The radiator is filled with nooks and crannies that gunk can easily lodge itself in. Its pretty impossible to get all of the gunk out. Then your next worry is that the gunk will dislodge itself and clog up one of the coolant passageways in the engine or kill the waterpump later down the line.

    Its more sensible to replace the resivoir and radiator for both longevity and time purposes.

  27. #26
    3rd Gear
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,428
    Quote Originally Posted by PassatRide
    From an earlier post a club member somehow measured the oil temperature during the first few minutes of driving. His findings were a gradual increase of oil temperature to a plateau at about 7-8 minutes after startup with moderate driving. If this data is correct, then your 10 mile trip would barely warm up the engine to full operating temp. For what it's worth.
    I took my car on a 450mi road trip this weekend by the end of the trip the moisture was gone. Nice clean oil on the dipstick at the end of the trip.
    It does take a while to get rid of all the moisture in the oil. I checked the oil after the first 20 miles, then 70, both time I noticed moisture in the oil. The oil really didn't get clean until I checked it at 175miles. The moisture was all gone by the time the trip was over. I wonder if I shuold cover up some of the openings to help it get to full operating temp faster. Or get a engine block heater.

  28. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements
     

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2