MAF problems on Passat
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

MAF problems on Passat

Hi - was wondering if some out there also experienced problems with the MAF Sensor (Mass Air Flow). I owe a 99 1.8T Passat with 105 000 km on the clock and the MAF Sensor is being replaced now for the 2nd time (3 sensor)...! Seems like a general problem on all high end VW's...

So please tell me if you need to spend R3,800 (about $600) every year and a half on this car...pretty expensive to maintain?!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Hi and welcome,

generally it is more problem if you are using "sport" air filter, type of K&N or simmilar, that requires oiling. That oil can go through filter and pop on heating element (hot wire) and destroy it. Otherwise, you should not be forced to change it that often.
    On my 99 V6 with 104 000 km (~62 000 miles) I change it once, on 95 000 km.

BTW, there is MAF from Golf 2.0 that is fitting some 1.8T engines and cost less than 100$, if I remember correctly. You can check it at www.ecstuning.com

1st Gear
    try taking it out and giving it a cleaning...worked on mine

4th Gear
    The MAF sensor is a very sensative device to some degree. It can be very tempermantal when you have an aftermarket air intake, whether a K&N Drop In or a full on cold air intake system.

The problem is not the intake system, but the oil that has to be placed on the filter when you take the filter out to clean it. See to much oil will clog your MAF sensor and then it will break, but to little of oil will just allow junk into your engine, and who knows what that can do? So the oil process is a slow a tricky process. To much cant hurt the car, and to little can also hurt the car.

Now if you dont have an aftermarket air filter then if could mean that you need to clean your MAF. There was a thread a few weeks/months ago that went though the process of cleaning the MAF, I dont remember where it was, hopefully another member can post that link up for you, but be careful when you clean it that you dont hurt the MAF.

Now I am not saying you have an itake problem, but what comes before the MAF? Thats right, the intake filter, so this is JUST a possibilty. Hope this helps.

Rich

1st Gear
    I followed the link to ECS and found OEM VW 2.0 Airflowmeter / MAF - VAG Part# 06A906461A which is only $46.95 and it says it fits 1.8T Passats.

Has anyone tried this?

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by glsvariant
    I followed the link to ECS and found OEM VW 2.0 Airflowmeter / MAF - VAG Part# 06A906461A which is only $46.95 and it says it fits 1.8T Passats.

Has anyone tried this?
    Yes. It runs fine on an ATW engine (GIAC chipped + K&N). You need to mount the sensor in the old housing.

Alex

1st Gear
    I just had the MAF sensor replace on my 01.5 1.8T with 36k--warranty covered it.

Neutral
    I had similar problems with my OE MAF, and started looking around inside the terminal that it plugs into. I noticed that the copper connectors had a light film of oxidation on it and also on the MAF itself. After cleaning the MAF connector with a pencil eraser and using a fine needle file to remove some of the oxidation on the housing connector. My MAF problems went away and haven't returned. Cheap fix and definitely worth a try versus replacing it for no reason. Just my 2 cents.

PassatWorld Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by wyaka
    I had similar problems with my OE MAF, and started looking around inside the terminal that it plugs into. I noticed that the copper connectors had a light film of oxidation on it and also on the MAF itself. After cleaning the MAF connector with a pencil eraser and using a fine needle file to remove some of the oxidation on the housing connector. My MAF problems went away and haven't returned. Cheap fix and definitely worth a try versus replacing it for no reason. Just my 2 cents.
    Good job! Way to think outside the box.

Neutral

Passat Maf - reapair, cleaning tutorial and pictures

Hello Guys! I have the same truble with Bosh MAF on my Passat. I have clean-it several times, and then change-it with a Pierburg one.
    I put a small good tutorial with pictures here:

http://2urbietorbi.wordpress.com/200...ir-flow-meter/

Also is a autopsy of my old Bosh MAF.
    Cheers.

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by glsvariant View Post

Has anyone tried this?
    I've heard the 2.0 MAF works.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by glsvariant View Post

Has anyone tried this?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexNYC View Post
    Yes. It runs fine on an ATW engine (GIAC chipped + K&N). You need to mount the sensor in the old housing.

Alex
    Does it work on AUG 1.8T motors as well? I think it is time to change mine out and I like the sounds of a $46.95 price better over $100.

Neutral

MAF dumb question

What are the symptons for MAF problem? My 99 has been hesitating badly. Recently got the following codes according to autozone (P1237 thru P1242). All related to fuel air metering. Seems MAF is posibility. Thoughts?

1st Gear
    i had a cone filter connected strait to the mas, and was going through mas like every 3 months. luckly i bought the first one from napa for 63 dollars, and its covered under a lifetime warrenty, i am on number 6 now, and never needed to pay for any of them. That and i put some piping inbetween the mas and the cone, that seemed to help aswell

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by avaly21 View Post
    Hello Guys! I have the same truble with Bosh MAF on my Passat. I have clean-it several times, and then change-it with a Pierburg one.
    I put a small good tutorial with pictures here:

http://2urbietorbi.wordpress.com/200...ir-flow-meter/

Also is a autopsy of my old Bosh MAF.
    Cheers.
    YOU sir are the man!

I've been looking all over for a writeup on this but couldn't find one. Thank You!

2nd Gear
    So noone knows which one will work for a 1.8T (AUG) Motor?

18. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information