what does a car with bad coil packs do? or bad starter
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    5th Gear

what does a car with bad coil packs do? or bad starter

car turns over sorta but wont start. sounds like i high pitch kind of straining noise but sometimes it starts up but goes right back off...is that the coil packs.....98 gls build 7/97 aeb 5 spd.....i have CEL with misfires only when i try to start car but i clear codes and i dont get any when it runs... read about car running badly with bad coilpacks but noone has said if it had problems starting...my car cranks sometimes and sometimes doesnt then when it starts it shudders then conks out and smells like gas then i get multiple misfires then it dies i clear codes.......but if i keep trying to start it the car will start and run with no problems at all no misfires or anything but has very hard start..would or could this be coilpacks....i might add i had 1 single fouled spark plug and when i replaced it car didnt do this for a bit but now has started again.plug is not fouled again.i still have not checked the flywheel so lets stay away from that for a sec and talk about the coil packs
    Last edited by guy022077; 03-06-2005 at 09:14 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    Bad coil packs will generally throw a CEL or CEL(s). You car would probably run but VERY poorly with lots of misfires, sputtering and sound like a diesel.

Sounds like it could be your starter motor of if it feels like the car doesn't have enough juice to turn over, could be the alternator. I only doubt it's the CPs 'cause you don't have a CEL. Those generally cause misfires.

You'll probably get some more insight too. Just my xperience.

5th Gear
    i should add it has like a grinding noise also....when i turn the key...could it be starter?

Neutral
    I had a Jetta that had the exact issues that you are having. It was the starter. There was no CEL, grinding, would not start at times and 5-10 minutes later it would fire up. I swapped it out and was back in business. Starter sounds like the problem. Good Luck!

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by AMANN
    I had a Jetta that had the exact issues that you are having. It was the starter. There was no CEL, grinding, would not start at times and 5-10 minutes later it would fire up. I swapped it out and was back in business. Starter sounds like the problem. Good Luck!

thats just what it did i just went out and it started right up....3 times so i guess its on its way out.....

1st Gear
    I had a coil pack go a few weeks ago (thankfully I was still under warranty) I got the flashing engine code, and it was sputtering much like TLJ20V was saying. I did not get a CEL, though I was 200 yrds from my yard when it happened, so the car did not run very long afterwards. When I restarted to load it on to the tow truck, I had no problem turning it over. The car was just dieseling with the flashing engine light. I hope this helped.

5th Gear
    i need a new starter so i am off to the junk yard and i need to know if the part number changed from 98 to now....i dont want to buy a starter as old as mine so if i can get a 03 or something would it work in my 98 b5?

2nd Gear
    Yeah. Bad news. You need PN# F5000-69692

You can only get it off an AEB engine (98-99) at least that's what the parts search is telling me and it's got to be a 1.8T. A V6 gave me a different number.

Yup just checked a few other vw's and they all have different starters depending engine code...maybe you'll luck out and find one in stock somewhere or a swapped MKII

Good luck. I'm still fighting with my rear brake pad change

5th Gear
    i guess its the starter so ill have to replace it thanks everyone....

6th Grade
    How bout that timing belt....

Though it is probably the starter...

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by TLJR20v
    Yeah. Bad news. You need PN# F5000-69692

You can only get it off an AEB engine (98-99) at least that's what the parts search is telling me and it's got to be a 1.8T. A V6 gave me a different number.

Yup just checked a few other vw's and they all have different starters depending engine code...maybe you'll luck out and find one in stock somewhere or a swapped MKII

Good luck. I'm still fighting with my rear brake pad change
    i went to order it and they asked me bosch or valeo did the aeb in 98 use 2 diff starters which part number is that..there is a guy selling one off of an aeb now what are the odds it wont work on my aeb build 7\97

3rd Gear
    i went to order it and they asked me bosch or valeo did the aeb in 98 use 2 diff starters which part number is that..there is a guy selling one off of an aeb now what are the odds it wont work on my aeb build 7\97
    Wow . . . you've been able to put up with this for over a month! Don't you need your car?! :???:

Good luck with your starter,
    Bryan

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by bdonkersgoed
    Wow . . . you've been able to put up with this for over a month! Don't you need your car?! :???:

Good luck with your starter,
    Bryan
    yes i do need my car but ill have to drive my s10 untill i get the b5 fixed

3rd Gear
    Cool, you've got another ride

A relative of mine has an S10, and the crazy guy put three 12" Alpine Type R subs and a 1500W Alpine amp in that thing all behind the seat. Holy cow it is LOUD! You can feel the air being displaced out of the windows :-P

Good luck with you car
    Bryan

5th Gear
    what else needs to come off of the starter to get it out. i got the bolts on back of it off 2 of them and the 2 holding the wires on and it doesnt even budge...do i need to take the wire bracket thing off also...please help i am doing this right now

5th Gear
    ta da i got it off finnallyyy...now to the junk yards with the right part number thanks evryone or to the guy in classifieds if its the right one

5th Gear
    need more input reread original

5th Gear
    ttt

20. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information