Replacing a Gear Shift Boot
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Replacing a Gear Shift Boot

The boot (Gray painted fabric) under the gear shift knob has peeled on my 99 B5.

Has anyone replaced theirs? How much is the part?

I assume it would be pretty simple to do myself. Any words of advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    fabric? do you mean the vinyl boot of a manual?

3rd Gear
    there are quite a few options on eBay.
    I asked santa monica VW how much a replacement would be, they quoted me $230.

i got mine from here:
    http://www.gottagetashiftboot.com/prod05.htm

and it fits/looks great!

2nd Gear
    I have the Redline leather boot on my Passat. Very nice product. Price is only $35 including shipping. Here is a recent thread: http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtop...cbc2569d366972

Neutral
    I also have the leather redline goods boot. In my 99' it required just a bit of stretching, but it is a great $35 improvement. I have the "black" interior and the and the Charcoal boot color is close to a perfect match. I coupled that with black thread and a carbon fiber Sparco shift knob -- looks cool and I am happy as hell with the improvement. PJP

Neutral

More Info please

Thanks for the posts. I need a bit more help.

The boot is for a 99 Manual Passat with a gray cloth interior. The boot is cloth with what may be a vinyl cover. It matches the gray interior and the shift knob is black.

First Question: Redline offers Black and Charcoal leather boots for $35. They don't offer Gray. Anyone know how either of these go with a Grey interior like mine? gottagetashiftboot.com has vinyl for $25 and permit you to specify color. Anyone order a good match for the gray interior?
    Other inputs welcome.

Second Question: Redline has install instructions that appear straightforward. Is it that simple?

Redline: http://www.redlinegoods.com/PassatB5product.shtm
    gottagetashiftboot: http://www.gottagetashiftboot.com/prod05.htm
    Instructions: http://www.redlinegoods.com/PassatB5install.shtm

Neutral

Re: More Info please

Quote Originally Posted by eDerzawiec
    Second Question: Redline has install instructions that appear straightforward. Is it that simple?
    I just installed the Redline leather boot on my '99 1.8T, and yes, it's pretty simple. There were a couple discrepencies in the directions on their website. They say that the boot is stapled on when in fact it is glued on...no big deal, just peel off the old boot and staple the new one on. There were a couple others, but nothing you wouldn't be able to figure out.

And, like a previous poster had said, it did require a bit of stretching to fit the leather over the plastic frame.

The end product looks great, though!!!

2nd Gear
    On my 2003, the boot was stapled to the bottom plastic piece.

I read the gottagetashiftboot directions and they seem pretty generic. I believe the Redline instructions are superior.

I think Chas bought the charcol Redline boot for his grey interior. You might want to PM him to see how well it matches.

3rd Gear
    on my '99, my stock boot was glued to the plastic snap ring thing. I just pulled the edges of the boot off the ring to separate the 2. My replacement boot (from gottagetashiftboot) had the cutouts for the snap-edges all in the right places, so i simply stretched the boot over the ring, aligned the holes with the snaps, and put the thing into the console. I was too lazy to re-glue the boot to the ring, but it's been holding fine ever since.

You could figure all this out even without any instructions. :wink:

At gottagetashiftboot.com, the leather ones only come in black. The black is not fully dark, so it's sort of like a REALLY dark grey. It matches my momo knob pretty well, and actually doesn't look bad, contrasting my beige interior. (in case anyone was wondering...... :-P )

Neutral
    Any of you have beige interiors? I want to replace beige boot with a beige leather one, but I can't find one that matches. Redline's looks a off and I tried Alan Gun and was very disappointed with him and his boot.

2nd Gear
    If Redline doesn't have a Beige that matches, you could just get the black one. Black matches everything!

Slider.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyme Greene
    Any of you have beige interiors? I want to replace beige boot with a beige leather one, but I can't find one that matches. Redline's looks a off and I tried Alan Gun and was very disappointed with him and his boot.
    um.... yes.

Quote Originally Posted by selurffoeg
    At gottagetashiftboot.com, the leather ones only come in black. The black is not fully dark, so it's sort of like a REALLY dark grey. It matches my momo knob pretty well, and actually doesn't look bad, contrasting my beige interior. (in case anyone was wondering...... :-P )
    a beige boot that matches right will be hard to find unless you shell out the $$ for an OE replacement.

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information