Add heated windshield washers to B5
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Add heated windshield washers to B5

Doesn't seem to matter how much washer fluid I add to the washer bottle, the fluid still seems to freeze in the nozzles in weather below freezing. It takes a while to thaw before I can wash the windshield.

Now I hear the later B5.5s have this fixed at last with a washer heating system . Has anyone managed to add this to the B5? Mine is a right hand drive 98 TDI auto wagon (187,000 miles and counting). I can't find any posts from anyone who has fitted the heating system. I have heated mirrors but not seats if this helps.

Thanks

Julian

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

RAH
    5th Gear
    I have heated seats and mirrors on mine but never heard of a heated washer system :???: . I want to know as well, so bump for your post

Redline
    it's part of the cold weather package. my 99 has heated washers. I don't know how easy the retrofit is since you have to run wiring for the washers.

Paul

2nd Gear
    Yep, our 2000 has them too (I know because I need to replace one of the nozzles - it was flopping around loose when I was looking at it last night and it had a hose and a wire that plugged into it.

6th Gear

Re: Add heated windshield washers to B5

Quote Originally Posted by sterling
    Doesn't seem to matter how much washer fluid I add to the washer bottle, the fluid still seems to freeze in the nozzles in weather below freezing. It takes a while to thaw before I can wash the windshield.

Now I hear the later B5.5s have this fixed at last with a washer heating system . Has anyone managed to add this to the B5? Mine is a right hand drive 98 TDI auto wagon (187,000 miles and counting). I can't find any posts from anyone who has fitted the heating system. I have heated mirrors but not seats if this helps.

Thanks

Julian
    Hey, Julian,
    Exactly how cold does it get in Oxford? I can't believe that your fluid is freezing. The generic washer fluid they sell here in the States is usually marked as good to -20 degrees F (that's almost -30 C), but in reality I've seen it start to crystalize somewhere just south of 0.

What's the temperature rating on the stuff they sell in the UK? Does it come pre-mixed or is it the stuff you have to dilute and mix yourself? Just curious!

7. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information