Performance chips (Upsolute-The Chip Tuning Company)
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2nd Gear

Performance chips (Upsolute-The Chip Tuning Company)

I've read numerous topics on performance chip in this forum and from the looks of things.....
    APR
    GIAC
    Wetterauer
    Neuspeed
    I checked out this website www.upsolute.com and there's alot of VW owners talking very high of this product. :???: In a few of the testimonials they're saying they left this product for upsolute and never been so happy or impressed with the performance of this chip compared to their previous one. I'M SOLD ON ONE OF THE CHIPS ABOVE!!! :shock: Has anyone heard of this VW chip tuning company called upsolute?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

6th Gear
    Yeah. They received a lot of hate on this forum for dishonesty.

Banned
    I came to the fold after all of the hate apparently - I have an Upsolute chip in my car and am happy with it. I've had it for about 14,000 miles now and its been great.

Apparently they had some issues in the past with performance claims but seem to have resolved the problems. At least one of the forum members is a rep for upsolute - scotty_passat - and can probably answer any questions you have.

2nd Gear
    Hey! :shock: I appreciate you stepping up to the plate 00paast! What made you go with upscale chip over the forums top pickings? I'm sure you have friends where you might have raced to compare differences with yall (shh don't call the grammar police)performance chips right?

I live in Minnesnowta and I'm still debating if I should drive to Chicago where I'm originally from ( get to the point) to have a performance chip installed. When I ran across this Upscale performance chip the data is equivalent to the other VW chippers. I have an authorized Upscale dealer like 1/2 hr from my door step. :bow: Hmmmmmmm! Should I visit family in Chicago( 4hr drive) and be with out a car for a day or drive 1/2hr north of me and then speed down to Chicago?

Scotty_passat enlighten me on your product. Did upscale make a come back or this is myth on what I'm hearing? :???:

4th Gear
    If you have a 1.8T or a W8 Passat we offer tuning . We don't offer tuning for the the US-spec 2.8V6-30V...dyno testing showed no gains so it was pulled off the market. :oops: (FWIW I have yet to see a dyno on any of the other 2.8l chips out there :roll: )

UPsolute had some teething pains when they first hit the US market (I followed their progress for a couple of years before becoming a rep.)....I'm confident this is all in the past.

Here's some shots of the new HQ/R&D facility in Austria:

In reality all of the chips nowadays will provide *very* similar performance...I'd like to think we stand out by offering competitive pricing, convenient while-you-wait installation/personalized service, and a satisfaction guarantee.

Here is the MN distributor:

Upsolute Minnesota
    Ed Budde
    St Michael MN
    USA phone (763) 497 7541
    cell. phone -
    e-mail minnesota@upsolute.com
    homepage http://www.upsolute.com

-Scott Ramsey

2nd Gear
    Scooty_passat thanks for you quick response......um I have the US-spec 2.8V6-30V :sad: Does anyone know of any other VW chip tuning shops/dealers in Minnesota?

1st- I move to Minnesnowta and now a rib shot with the US-spec 2.8V6-30V. I guess I'll be gassing up the 03' 4Motion Variant heading south for my VW X-Mas shopping. This forum is great! I don't have to subscribe to a magazine or hang out in bookstores all night!

Peace,
    vw4mot

1st Gear
    Scotty,
    What are your numbers (gains) for the W8? I have a 2003 (US Spec) with Tip. Can you completely remove the governor? The Autobahn would be a lot more fun going faster than 138 mph. Let me know if you can.
    Thanks

3rd Gear
    I've had an Up chip in my TDI New Beetle since 2000.
    No issues, performance is great..
    a bit of an error on Rene's part (my 98 has a different chipset then all others) but the right chip arrived - and was installed - on a Sunday.

4th Gear
    IIRC there is ~20hp to gain on the W8. Speed governor can be removed, mention it when getting chipped.

UPSOLUTE Germany
    1a Autoservice Uwe Erfurt
    Franz-Schubert-Str. 7
    03050 Cottbus
    Germany phone (+49)(0)355 523027
    fax (+49)(0)355 543908
    e-mail info@uweerfurt.de
    homepage http://upsolute.com

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by vw4mot
    Scooty_passat thanks for you quick response......um I have the US-spec 2.8V6-30V :sad: Does anyone know of any other VW chip tuning shops/dealers in Minnesota?

1st- I move to Minnesnowta and now a rib shot with the US-spec 2.8V6-30V. I guess I'll be gassing up the 03' 4Motion Variant heading south for my VW X-Mas shopping. This forum is great! I don't have to subscribe to a magazine or hang out in bookstores all night!

Peace,
    vw4mot
    Like Scotty said, there are no real gains for the 2.8v6-30v. Use the money elsewhere. I think GIAC has a chip for the 2.8 for a 10hp gain. IMHO the money is better used elsewhere. Then again you gotta do what makes you happy.

3rd Gear

Getting Upped!

I'm sold too. I've already spoken to Scotty and 00PSST - Ill be visting Scott shortly for my upgrade.

Don't know about you guys. But, Customer service, While you wait, and price have influenced me. I want more power. But, to take an 86K car and wring as much as you can out of it seems stupid. 42 more HP will be plenty.

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty_passat
    (FWIW I have yet to see a dyno on any of the other 2.8l chips out there :roll: )

UPsolute had some teething pains when they first hit the US market (I followed their progress for a couple of years before becoming a rep.)....I'm confident this is all in the past.
    there was a CT member with the GIAC that showed a gain in HP/TQ with the GIAC chip. Wett also provides a dyno for their V6 chip and there have been proven results of it on AW as well.

Dave

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by crew217
    (FWIW I have yet to see a dyno on any of the other 2.8l chips out there :roll: )

there was a CT member with the GIAC that showed a gain in HP/TQ with the GIAC chip. Wett also provides a dyno for their V6 chip and there have been proven results of it on AW as well.

Dave
    But how much? 10 hp at the flywheel for $500 doesn't seem worth it to me.

5th Gear
    its not $500 . . . . GIAC and Wett both offer programs for $300 for the 2.8L V6. What you're getting is improved fueling (V6 owners have reported mpg increases) and better response. HP / TQ ratings are peak measures anyways, they don't show how the powerband is increased in the lower areas. Either way, I'll be getting wett in my next car.

Dave

3rd Gear
    its not $500 . . . . GIAC and Wett both offer programs for $300 for the 2.8L V6. What you're getting is improved fueling (V6 owners have reported mpg increases) and better response. HP / TQ ratings are peak measures anyways, they don't show how the powerband is increased in the lower areas. Either way, I'll be getting wett in my next car.

Dave
    Good point. Like I said, to each his own. For 300 it might be worth it if you got at least the 10hp across the whole (or at least say ~90%) of the rpm range (as opposed to just 10 extra at peak). IMHO I don't think I would get it if I owned a V6.

Side note: Why does GIAC still show the V6 chip as being "under construction"?

1st Gear
    Check this out you may be happy you did!
    http://www.rocketchip.com/

4th Gear

Dave
    I haven't seen these, do you have some links? Were they stock cars or was intake/exhaust/etc. factored in? You *should* be able to get gains of 5-8% on a non-turbo car, we do it all day long on 2.0's, VR6, 4.2l, W8 etc. etc. just the Passat 2.8l never panned out.

4th Gear
    Guys let me give you a heads up about Upsolute.. 1.8T, V6, and W8 owners need to consider other alternatives. My old tuner, swore by Upsolute ECU upgrades for the VR6 but for the other offerings from VW/Audi would select GIAC, Wetterauer, or APR.

Upsolute also had a tendency to release ECU upgrades before doing full testing. A friend of mine had a terrible experience with Upsolute and his Anniversary Edition Golf to the point where he switched to APR's program and his car ran great. :shock:

Customer service is very important when selecting a tuner, and I'm certain that certain distributors provide excellent service but I would check the specs before making the investment.

PassatWorld Staff
    vw4mot,

I used to be the MN Upsolute rep. Got too busy with other things, and I didn't like having to babysit 5% of the clients (you chipped my car, and not I need control arms... is it the chips fault? :roll: ).

Upsolute has a get product line (as mentioned) for the 1.8T and Tdi (and apparently the W8).

The fact that they got someone in MSP again makes it a no-brainer... go with Upsolute.

There are no other chip-tuners in MSP as far as I know. If someone offers it, your ECU is still being mailed out. The fact that you have the Up-guy in town is worth it's weight in gold.

My fiancee has been Up'ed for over 40k in her 01 1.8T Jetta, and it's been rock solid.

5th Gear

Dave
    I haven't seen these, do you have some links? Were they stock cars or was intake/exhaust/etc. factored in? You *should* be able to get gains of 5-8% on a non-turbo car, we do it all day long on 2.0's, VR6, 4.2l, W8 etc. etc. just the Passat 2.8l never panned out.
    I would give them to you if i could search for them . . . . this happened two forum revisions ago.

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by pass-variant
    vw4mot,

I used to be the MN Upsolute rep. Got too busy with other things, and I didn't like having to babysit 5% of the clients (you chipped my car, and not I need control arms... is it the chips fault? :roll: ).

Upsolute has a get product line (as mentioned) for the 1.8T and Tdi (and apparently the W8).

The fact that they got someone in MSP again makes it a no-brainer... go with Upsolute.

There are no other chip-tuners in MSP as far as I know. If someone offers it, your ECU is still being mailed out. The fact that you have the Up-guy in town is worth it's weight in gold.

My fiancee has been Up'ed for over 40k in her 01 1.8T Jetta, and it's been rock solid.
    ERRR he has a 2.8L V6 . . . . as mentioned by scotty . . . UPsolute no longer sells this crappy program. But you're right about having a chiptuner close. That way you can bug the crap out of him if something's wrong.

swing and a miss . . .

Perhaps we should get Z28Driver on here to tell his horror story with UPsolute.

Dave :-P

PassatWorld Staff
    doh!!!! forgot... even with his name. I'm loosing it

1st Gear
    I am sure that 4 every Upsolute horror story, there is also a GiAC, a Wett, and an APR horror story to go along with it. There is no perfect chip tuner period. Anybody who has spent any time here can see this. Like any product there are pro's and con's to be considered with each. Do your homework and make the decision that makes the best sense for you.

6th Gear
    It wasn't the product that got to the most of us. It was the insistence of what was obviously false, to the point where it was a full blown flamewar. Wetterauer early on had quality control issues with soldering and whatnot, but they were courteous, and were quick to resolve issues w/ customers, at no additional cost to the customer. I can't speak for the dealers themselves, but Upsolute North America was downright negligent when dealing with the issues that sprung up here, and left quite a bad impression on the memberbase.

1st Gear
    Scotty
    Have you guys done any testing/installs on the 1.8t 4-motion? Just wondering.
    thanks.

Neutral
    I had Rene install my upsolute chip 3 years ago. 115,000 miles later, I am very happy with it. I dont doubt that all chiptuners have had problems, and Upsolute obviously had some growing pains. All that being said, I couldn't be happier with my chip.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by RicRod
    Scotty
    Have you guys done any testing/installs on the 1.8t 4-motion? Just wondering.
    thanks.
    yep.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1.8T
    I am sure that 4 every Upsolute horror story, there is also a GiAC, a Wett, and an APR horror story to go along with it. There is no perfect chip tuner period. Anybody who has spent any time here can see this. Like any product there are pro's and con's to be considered with each. Do your homework and make the decision that makes the best sense for you.
    Well, this may be one of those things where you just had to be there. 3-4 years ago, the cheif Upsolute douche-bag was bumping into every thread pushing product to anyone who would listen. John Newbie: "Oh, can anyone help me pick a swaybar?" Upsolute: " Sorry, can't help you there but check out our new chip!!!" That compounded with the constant insistance on claims that could not be backed up (coming to a head in the infamous "back to back V6 dyno test" thread) and continued flaming of members here who didn't capitulate, left a rather sour taste. Too bad the search sucks, those were some good threads. Decide for yourself about the psuedo-pyramid-scheme dealer network.

Oh, and, to date, the N.A. Upsolute distributor is the only person who has ever threatened to sue me personally for comments on this forum Now that's the way to serve your customer base.

2nd Gear
    Wow! I think I stirred the pot up! HUH? If there's anyone with the 30V 2.8L chipped out tell me what chip did you go with?

2nd Gear
    Here's the link to the dyno that showed the 2.8 chip LOST power when Rene of Upsolute kept insisting that there was NO WAY that would ever happen: V6 UPsolute Chip.... was chipped, but still inconclusive Unfortunately it's with the old forum software...

Mac - you're not the only one I heard that happening to. Rene is one heck of a peddler. They would have completely taken over the chip market in the U.S. if he wasn't such a jackass.

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information