DIY engine computer reset.
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3rd Gear

DIY engine computer reset.

There has been a lot of posts in the last fw months about codes and reseting the computers without paying VW $60 to do it. well for the DIY here is a home remedy, unfortunatley this does not allow you to read the codes but however it does allow you to reset teh computer to the same position as if the dealer would.

I learned this procedure from a very reliable source at VWOA. 8)

1) remove both the Positive and teh negative battery terminals from the battery.

2) Wait 15 seconds then touch the 2 removed battery leads together and hold for 10 seconds then seperate. (This immatated the same capicitor discharge that is involved with the Vagcom reset)

3) replace and reattach the terminals to the battery

4) stick key in ignition and turn to ignition on (DO NOT START THE CAR) and leave in this position for 30 seconds to allow the newely reset computer to re-learn the parts of your vehicle.

5) Enjoy not having a check engine light staring you in your face.

I have done this procedure countless times now during the rebuild, changing and modification process of my motor, trans and turbo and saved me a lot of time and headaches. :wink:

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Fred

If only people knew how smart you are! Amazing bro :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

for Fred. Thanks Fred this will help out next time I forget my gas cap :weirdo:

Rich

PassatWorld Staff
    This could be very handy, thanks!

4th Gear
    or you could buy a 80 dollar br-3 and never have to reset your radio again

2nd Gear
    Is it safe for guys like me running with APR DPP?

I normally just borrow my buddies VAG-COM, but that get's old.

1st Gear
    uhhh br-3? what is that?

1st Gear
    Some guy is selling what I would think is the same information on E-bay to reset the change oil warning on Audi's.

4th Gear
    would this reset codes u altered w/ a vag com? such as my Tiptronic sport mode? thanks.
    Cam

1st Gear
    We tried this procedure several times on my friends AEB 98 1.8t to reset his airbag light and check engine light. It didn't work for us. The check engine light eventually went off by itself during a long drive and the airbag light is still on to this day.

1st Gear
    A little-known extra step in this procedure is that the driver's door must be open during the "ignition on" step. Since the door usually remains open to make it easier to hop in and out of the car during this procedure, almost everyone manages to perform the procedure without having to consider that point.

But, if you've not been able to get this procedure to work, you might want to see if you been leaving the door open. VW wrote the code this way so resets wouldn't happen during normal operations with the door closed.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by gojimbo
    A little-known extra step in this procedure is that the driver's door must be open during the "ignition on" step. Since the door usually remains open to make it easier to hop in and out of the car during this procedure, almost everyone manages to perform the procedure without having to consider that point.

But, if you've not been able to get this procedure to work, you might want to see if you been leaving the door open. VW wrote the code this way so resets wouldn't happen during normal operations with the door closed.
    Thanks !

1st Gear
    Anybody with APR DPP try this yet?

1st Gear
    Does the radio need to be re-set afterwards?

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by gojimbo

if you have specific information from VW regarding that part of the procedure please share it. Otherwise, the whole door open thing is probably an urban legend. FWIW, I never once heard it mentioned on Audiworld.

In the "B5 garage" there is a recent discussion on throttle body alignment/adaption:

Throttle Body Adaptation - 1.8T 01.5

5th Gear
    Gonna give this a shot tongith as I have a CEL holding me back from smog.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by NUISANCE View Post
    Gonna give this a shot tongith as I have a CEL holding me back from smog.
    If CA scans for readiness, you will still fail since I doubt this can set the readiness bits to pass.

5th Gear
    I hope it does, it's a damn o2 sensor.

What time is Matlock on?
    Not doing this until someone else has the balls to try it with their DPP'd APR program but absolutely GREAT info....I need this to get rid of my SAIP CEL

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Meap View Post
    We tried this procedure several times on my friends AEB 98 1.8t to reset his airbag light and check engine light. It didn't work for us. The check engine light eventually went off by itself during a long drive and the airbag light is still on to this day.

I'm pretty sure you need a VAG-COM to reset the Airbag light.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Meap View Post
    I recently reset the check engine by accident when changing the battery as explained by the original poster. A local mechanic told me that if there is a real issue (in my case the secondary air pump is faulty), the check engine light will come back on after about 50-60 miles of use.

Neutral
    I recently reset the check engine by accident when changing the battery as explained by the original poster. The reason for the CEL was a faulty secondary air pump. Now that the CEL is off (temporarily I presume), will the state inspector catch the issue during a regular vehicle inspection?

Therefore, does the computer get purged of all historical CEL warnings? Or does it maintain a log of historical warnings? Can the state inspector force a system check that will catch the faulty secondary air pump?

Thanks for your input!

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Now that the CEL is off (temporarily I presume), will the state inspector catch the issue during a regular vehicle inspection?
    No history is stored, but you may have an issue at the inspector if they check for readiness codes. When you reset a check engine light, it basically sets the OBD-II system into a state that says "I've got no codes, but I haven't had a chance to run all of my self tests yet." Readiness codes can only be set through a couple of days of driving.

In some states, you will be told to come back in a couple of days because tey honor the readiness codes. I can tell you for a fact that in CT, they don't care.

2nd Gear
    The state inspector can't force a system check. Once the codes have been cleared there is no way to look in the pcm to find out what codes may have been stored previously. Your car may still fail emissions even though the cel is off. All cars(96 and newer MY) have a set of what we call readiness monitors, these are test results of various systems on the car such as o2 sensor, catalytic converter, evap system and so forth. Depending on a vehicles equipment some may have more readiness monitors than others. When you take your car through emissions you can have no more than 2 readiness monitors that have not completed and passed, at least in AZ and CA. Readiness monitors run at a predetermined time when certain criteria have been met. It is possible for a readiness monitor to take a week or more to run and complete according to your driving habits. So in your case with the secondary air injection fault the pcm is going to run it's test for 90 seconds when the vehicle is first started and after it has completed a cool down cycle. I believe this is a 2 trip monitor which means that this test has to have ran and failed 2 consecutive times in order to turn on the cel.

touche!!! i had this problem with my emissions... come to find out it was an evap pump. the mechanic that did my inspection asked if i had a cel. i said no and he slapped a new sticker on the car.

What time is Matlock on?
    Again, would this jack up the APR program?

4th Gear
    i would think so, but you can get re-flash for like $20.00 (if you have proof you bought the program)

What time is Matlock on?
    Quote Originally Posted by canosgmk View Post
    but you can get re-flash for like $20.00
    Nope...$45 at local APR dealer. I've prepped for the heat shield recall/reflash.

5th Gear
    i was expecting to see alot of pics on this thread.

Self inflicted facepalm
    The car will surely fail. I needed to drive nearly 400 miles to get everything back on line. It took several trips to the emmision station to finally get the PITA over with.

Be warned.

the deal finder!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenblasko View Post
    If CA scans for readiness, you will still fail since I doubt this can set the readiness bits to pass.
    i'm pretty sure that CA requires you to pass a certain number of them (but not all).

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information