Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

DIY engine computer reset.

415K views 67 replies 47 participants last post by  purcellsj.57 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
There has been a lot of posts in the last fw months about codes and reseting the computers without paying VW $60 to do it. well for the DIY here is a home remedy, unfortunatley this does not allow you to read the codes but however it does allow you to reset teh computer to the same position as if the dealer would.

I learned this procedure from a very reliable source at VWOA. 8)

1) remove both the Positive and teh negative battery terminals from the battery.

2) Wait 15 seconds then touch the 2 removed battery leads together and hold for 10 seconds then seperate. (This immatated the same capicitor discharge that is involved with the Vagcom reset)

3) replace and reattach the terminals to the battery

4) stick key in ignition and turn to ignition on (DO NOT START THE CAR) and leave in this position for 30 seconds to allow the newely reset computer to re-learn the parts of your vehicle.

5) Enjoy not having a check engine light staring you in your face.

I have done this procedure countless times now during the rebuild, changing and modification process of my motor, trans and turbo and saved me a lot of time and headaches. 😉

See less See more
#37 ·
If you have a smart phone, get the torque app for $5 and a $10-20 Bluetooth obdii reader. You can scan, clear and monitor a lot of stuff with it. I use it every day

#39 ·
Mine stays plugged in. Doesn't even get in the way of my clutch foot

#46 ·
Torque will not reset airbag codes. All "cheap" code readers and scanners only handle the OBD 2 section (engine emission controls). Some, a little more expensive, can handle other basic functions on ABS, Airbag etc. But it needs to be a specialized tool. VCDS or the lite version are the best/cheapest choice if you own a VW or audi.
Airbags will not deploy if the code is reset or checked.

#48 ·
Yeah, VCDS-lite's shareware version is a real gift to the VW community from Ross-Tech. It lets you do all sorts of things with a $15 eBay cable that would otherwise take a dedicated tool costing mega-bucks.

Sure, there are $20-ish dedicated code reader/clearing tools from Amazon that allegedly will clear Airbag, ABS, etc., if you are willing to risk that particular batch from China actually works. But VCDS-lite lets you do so much more, like all the real-time information it can collect; great for diagnosing problems that aren't actually raising a code.

#60 · (Edited)
THIS IS NOT MY WRITE UP JUST SHARING...
1. clearing TCU codes without vagcom
2. default tranny settings
3. throttle readaptation (critical when doing any tranny or engine work). The ecu and tcu works together on many things. clear ecu also for engine work.
the definitive answer. as follows...
1.key on (dont start, just turn the car on)
2.gas down to floor for 10 sec
3.while holding gas, turn key off
4.let go of gas
5.key on (again, on, dont start) for 5 min (for throttle readaptation). touch nothing.
6.then start while touching nothing.
7.drive and see what happens.
its not uncommon to have to do this over and over, because u make small changes and forget to reset yet again. i cant count the # of posts where people change 99 things and reset 99 times, only to make one last change, forget the final reset, then give up and shoot the car with a shotgun. so for those that missed it *always reset last!*

This method is not needed for the 3speed 010, as that has no tcu and yes, this reset can be done thru vagcom too!
final note. i have done this method so many times for all my auto 4speeds, and it works everytime! if it doesnt, there is another issue that needs solving. hence, begin solving all issues my reset (easy, free, 5min). then, if needed, go to vagcom. after changes, reset. and so on until everything works perfectly. refer to my other post about solenoids and other DIYs about valve body cleaning and other issues. dont give up folks!!! usually its simple stuff to fix it.

Additionally, this is intended to complement a TBA (throttle body adaptation) performed in vcds/vagcom, not replace it. In any car, this will reset the transmission relationship with the TB, not necessarily reset the TB itself. That can only be done electronically with vcds (usually group 60 in basic settings).

edit: Works on all vw 4/5/6 speed auto transmissions from 1988 with the 096 corrado to present. I haven't confirmed DSG, but I'm 99% positive it will work. i have confirmed this method works for the 5 and 6speed tiptronics also. i have (had) a mk5 jetta, b5 passat and a b5 and b7 a4, and it works on all of these cars! I do this every gas fill-up.

#61 ·
There has been a lot of posts in the last fw months about codes and reseting the computers without paying VW $60 to do it. well for the DIY here is a home remedy, unfortunatley this does not allow you to read the codes but however it does allow you to reset teh computer to the same position as if the dealer would.

1) remove both the Positive and teh negative battery terminals from the battery.

2) Wait 15 seconds then touch the 2 removed battery leads together and hold for 10 seconds then seperate. (This immatated the same capicitor discharge that is involved with the Vagcom reset)

4) stick key in ignition and turn to ignition on (DO NOT START THE CAR) and leave in this position for 30 seconds to allow the newely reset computer to re-learn the parts of your vehicle.

I have done this procedure countless times now during the rebuild, changing and modification process of my motor, trans and turbo and saved me a lot of time and headaches. 😉

I just did this to my daughters car and now the transition will not go out of first
gear. Every thing was changing smoothly untill after and so now it's jumps hard going into reverse and drive. When I drive down the road it stays in first gear. Have I gotten the programming for the transmission messed up? ☹

#64 ·

#65 ·