Child lock on, door shut, outside handle broke. Fixed!!!
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Child lock on, door shut, outside handle broke. Fixed!!!

Soooooo, I was attempting to repair my drivers side rear door outside handle. I took the door apart to the point where I would have had to removed the window from the door. At that point I figured that I should stop before I break either the window or motor trying to remove it.

So, My Stupid Self, put the door back together and shut the door to make sure that I everything works properly. Well the inside handle now does not open the door either. I took the panel off again and even by pulling on the cord that normally opens the door, this does not open it now. Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that I left the "child safety lock" on. This will not allow the door to be opened from the inside.

So, this is where I am stuck. Is there anyway to change the child safety lock engaged with the door panel removed, but not the door being able to be opened?

Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thank You.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    hop in the back seat and i would attempt to take off the panel ? that would be my best bet?

1st Gear
    I did that, but when you pull the cable to open the door it does not open. This is because you can't open the rear door from the inside w/ the Child safety lock engaged.

Banned
    :???:

1st Gear
    a bit of a combination of :???: :oops: :?

1st Gear
    So I just called the dealership, bodyshop.
    They said is what they do is pop the cover off of the door handle and drill a hole there. Then you can reach in and reconnect the cable that probably came off of the outside door handle. Then just cover up the hole with the cover/cap on the door handle again.

ARE YOU SERIOUS???
    Drill a hole in my door to fix a door handle?

Anybody, have another suggestion......please?????
    Thanks

4th Gear
    Since you removed the inside panel, can you try to 'unlock' the child lock? Even if you end up breaking the child lock screw, can't be as bad as a hole in your door..

1st Gear
    The problem is getting to that child lock....
    I can't get the metal part of the door off to reach the "guts" inside the door.

That metal panel can't be removed unless you take the window out of the door. You can't take the window out unless the door is open.

Grrrrr, frustrating.........
    Thanks for the suggestion though.

6th Grade
    Wow, you screwed up!

You're probably going to have to destroy the filler plug there on the non-hinged end of the outside door handle to gain access to the cable for the handle.

If you're very careful not to damage the handle itself or anything else but the plug, you should be ok, and it won't be too expensive a lesson.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharky
    Wow, you screwed up!
    Tell me about it.
    This is really the first thing I have ever done on my B5. Besides a couple of very slight cosmetic mods. Well, I guess I'm learning lots though.

Thanks for the info. I guess I will try that...or if I feel that I don't want to ruin anything else take the info you gave me to a body shop and see if they can do that for me.

Ya live and learn.....I sure am learning.

needs more cowbell
    maybe take the opposite door apart to see the inside. might give you some insight as to what you're doing.

1st Gear
    No thanks.

I now know a couple of ways to get to it and fix it....but I don't want to:
    #1 scratch the sh!t out of my door
    #2 break the window or Window motor trying to remove it.

I think I will be talking this to the body shop so they can fix it. I'll just leave it taken apart so it doesn't take quite as long to finish.

1st Gear
    how about using a coat hanger (or slim jim) to push/pull the child safety lock to the other position. probably a pain in the ass but should be possible.

2nd Gear
    The child safety lock on the passat is rotary so you can't just pull it up.

Is there anything left of the handle still attached to the release mechanism?

Could you drill a hole in the remaining part and then thread a long screw into that and then open by pulling on the screw? Possibly put a washer on the screw to give you a better grip.

I hope you get this fixed.

1st Gear
    Thank you all for your advice.
    Well, I took this to a body shop. I just didn't want to break anything any worse than it was.
    An hour and a half and only $44 later it is fixed and put back together. They ended up taking the door completly apart from the inside and then reaching in with a screw driver to pop the door open. Then they were able to reattach the cable that came unhooked from the outside door handle.

They guy that did the work was older than dirt but had been doing body work for 56 years. He really knew his stuff.

I went to Walser Body & Glass in Plymouth (Minneapolis) and they were very friendly and very helpful. I would suggestion them to anyone.

6th Grade
    Wow, good deal!

4th Gear

19. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information