Changing rear brake pads; Special tool 3272
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Changing rear brake pads; Special tool 3272

Folks,

I want to change my rear brake pads but the Bentley Service Manual says that I would need Special Tool 3272 to push in the piston. Any idea what that is? Would a C-clamp do the trick?

If anyone out there has changed their own brake pads, I need help!! :bow:

Nelson

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    You will need a tool to push in the piston .... check out ecstunining.com they have the tool available for $40 dollars (I think) and once you are done with it you can return it and they will reimburse $30. You definetly need a caliper tool since you will have to turn the piston clockwise and push in at the same time ... I dont think you can do that with a c clamp

3rd Gear
    You can buy your own tool for about $20 at harborfreight.com or you can borrow a tool from a local parts shop - usually for free. The harborfrieght kit is not fancy but it works great.

Here is a link to the kit http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40732 It is listed for $40 in this link, but it is regularly on sale for $20.

Carl III

the deal finder!
    you could use needle nose pliers, but it's so much easier with the retract tool. check with autozone, as they might have one where you just have to pay a deposit, which you'll get back when you return it.

3rd Gear
    i went to pepboys and "rented" the tool, i deposited $60 on credit card, if it was returned in 7 days they refuned 100% of my $. you can also pick up a caliper retraction tool from ecstuning.com cheap or from a couple other places cheap

the deal finder!
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffsu350
    i went to pepboys and "rented" the tool, i deposited $60 on credit card, if it was returned in 7 days they refuned 100% of my $. you can also pick up a caliper retraction tool from ecstuning.com cheap or from a couple other places cheap
    i think autozone told me 60 days when i rented the strut compressor. 7 days is a little short for my taste, since i'm lazy, and will wait a while before returning 8)

6th Gear
    Geeeeez, you guys don't need a whole SET of tools to do one set of identical calipers. Use pliers and grab the piston. Or if you're feelin' lazy, get the "box" caliper tool from Autozone. :-P

the deal finder!
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthx32
    Geeeeez, you guys don't need a whole SET of tools to do one set of identical calipers. Use pliers and grab the piston. Or if you're feelin' lazy, get the "box" caliper tool from Autozone. :-P
    yes, but the set works for other cars too 8)

4th Gear
    Or if you strong like an Ox get the universal cube for about $10.-

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    Or if you strong like an Ox get the universal cube for about $10.-
    This is what I did and it worked fine. Nothing wrong with the universal cube.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Psst
    You got lucky. Sometimes you have to apply much more force than is possible with the universal cube in order to get the caliper piston to engage the internal threads and start retracting. The solution is to get the retraction tool from Lisle (Snap-ON also sells one). I bought mine at Sears for about $35. It looks like this:

Neutral

Rent it

I "rented" the tool from Autozone for a $35 deposit that was returned to me when I returned the tool. I tried the little cube but could not get it to engage the threads so I used the proper tool and it took all of 1 minute to get the piston to retract.

2nd Gear
    I've heard of the needle nose plyers method, but if yours turn anywhere near as hard as mine did, that isn't gonna cut it. I have that tool pictured above. I purchased mine from Matco and it comes with several different adapters for other cars. I think I paid like $80 or $90 for the whole thing (yes I know, to much, but atleast I can make intrest free payments on all the stuff) and I use it to do my front brakes too, I just stick the old brake pad in the piston and turn the adapter on the tool around so the flat side pushes against the brake pad. Works great.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by DZeckhausen
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Psst
    You got lucky. Sometimes you have to apply much more force than is possible with the universal cube in order to get the caliper piston to engage the internal threads and start retracting. The solution is to get the retraction tool from Lisle (Snap-ON also sells one). I bought mine at Sears for about $35. It looks like this:

Oh o.... I went and bought the cube at a friend's recommendation. We'll see if I am strong as an ox. But I am determined to change my brake pads and this is the same guy who used to go to the dealership to get a light bulb changed.

Thanks for the feedback!

16. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information