Rear Door will not open - 04 Passat TDI
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    DBS
    Neutral

Rear Door will not open - 04 Passat TDI

Just got a '04 Passat Wagon Sat. and now I can not get the passanger side rear door open. It will not open from the inside or outside. It had worked earlier. Goes back to dealer Friday but I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    Hay, you aren't too far from me. Well maybe an hour.

I know when I was at the dealer getting my car serviced, a jetta came in with that problem. I know they had a hard time fixing it, but they did it. I forget what they did to get the door open though. :oops:

1st Gear
    It's easy, a crowbar and sledgehammer usually works.

3rd Gear
    Sorry I don't have advice on the door, but how do you like your diesel so far? Automatic or manual? Do you have any time behind the wheel of a 1.8t to give me a comparison? Cool car!

1st Gear
    This is a common delivery problem on the 04's according to several VW dealerships in ATL. There are actually two issues. First off from the factory on the 04's the cable controling the latch was too tight not allowing the rear door to open. On others it just fell off. VW had a tough time finding a happy median I guess. When I did my version of the PDI inspection on my wifes 04 sedan it had the same issue. VW fixed it under warrenty. The only problem I had is that they had to cut the door handle off to get access and they tried to pass off a chipped door handle as a replacement which I promptly made them re-think.

Ryan

DBS
    Neutral
    My cable must have fallen off as it worked fine up until yesterday afternoon. Second I got 32.2 MPG on the first tank of fuel in mixed driving. The 2004 Passat TDI's only come as an automatic. My 97 Passat TDI, which is a 5 speed and a different engine, normally gets around 42 to 44 MPG. Thanks for your help!

6th Gear
    Had the same door problem on my '03 variant. They tried to adjust the cable a couple of times and then finally replaced it. All has been well since. Outstanding mileage. Wished they had offered the TDI last model year, I'd have been all over it.

4th Gear
    I have a 2001.5 and never had this problem. Did they change the mechanism for '03's and 04's?

Confused
    I have a 2001.5 and have this problem on the same door. Just happened a few days ago. The car's outta warrany, so I may be outta luck since i know it's an exspensive fix. Any ideas?

1st Gear
    If you can open the door from the inside you should be able to fix/adjust it yourself. If you cannot open the door, well then I'm not knowledgable enough on how to properly fix that.

I have only seen this on the 04's but it was mentioned that some late 03's have the same issue. I can't comment on other model years.

Ryan

12. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information