Q: Which Switchblade for 98 B5 remote?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    2nd Gear

Q: Which Switchblade for 98 B5 remote?

Well, the stupid little banjo remote on my 98 B5 is finally giving out, so I thought I would take this opportunity to upgrade to a switchblade remote. My question is, which switchblade model do I need?

My remote:
    CANADA:2694 102 338F
    FCC ID: NB6 730956 T
    HELLA:5FA 007 785-00.

Switchblade options:
    HLO 1J0 959 753 F
    FCC ID: NBG 8137 T
    HELLA 5FA 008 137-30.

HLO 1J0 959 753 AM
    FCC ID: NBG 735 868 T
    Canada: 26941032187

Others?

TIA,
    David

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    Who is going to cut the blank for you? because I know most Dealer are going to order the switchblade aka the folding key if you VIN number comes up as a bango key. If you know a lock smith that cuts these sidewinder keys that you can buy a switch blade off of ebay with and uncut blank and have him cut it for you. Then you can program the key as per the instructions in the owners manual.

I have a 99 built 3/99 and the switchblade it uses is

HLO 1JO 959 753F (dont quote me on this but I think 2001 and up used a different key so this is the one you probably want.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom GLI
    Who is going to cut the blank for you? because I know most Dealer are going to order the switchblade aka the folding key if you VIN number comes up as a bango key. If you know a lock smith that cuts these sidewinder keys that you can buy a switch blade off of ebay with and uncut blank and have him cut it for you. Then you can program the key as per the instructions in the owners manual.

I have a 99 built 3/99 and the switchblade it uses is

HLO 1JO 959 753F (dont quote me on this but I think 2001 and up used a different key so this is the one you probably want.
    Well, I can get an uncut switchblade on Ebay, and I have a dealer who will cut it for regular charge. I just need to know if the remote part will work with my 98 which currently uses the banjo remote I listed above.

3rd Gear
    Yes it will work, I am just saying some dealers are anal and some of the guy in parts departments are cool. Scuba 2001 has converted his key to a switchblade but he cut down his banjo key. You can find this in the information forum.

Neutral
    You have a switchblade on your 98? Weird, I dont. My remote is really going out to, and the dealership is giving ME hell about it.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Projekt1JZ
    You have a switchblade on your 98? Weird, I dont. My remote is really going out to, and the dealership is giving ME hell about it.
    I don't have a switchblade, I have the banjo remote. I want to replace the banjo remote for my 98 with a switchblade. Can ANYONE tell me which model switchblade I need?

1st Gear
    I have a 99 and the switchblade I am using is:

HLO 1J0 959 753 F
    FCC ID: NBG 8137 T
    HELLA 5FA 008 137-30

Ray
    2nd Gear
    Where can you find the number in the blade itself?

Banned
    The blade itself doesnt have a part number. Usually, the dealer will order the whole half of the key and replace that.

David, the one that you want is the 753 F part. Ive used two of these parts when I covnerted to the switchblade on my '98 and I havent had a single issue with either one of them.

HTH,
    Steve

1st Gear
    dac2800

I have a 99 that had the banjo style remote. I ordered my new switchblade remote from Scott Volkswagen in East Providence RI (www.scottvw.com).
    They know what they are doing, they make keys and send them all around the country. I had mine made October 2002. The parts numbers on my receipt were,
    107-837-246-D-CUT & 1J0-959-753-F. The directions for programming this style of remote is different. I found the instruction on vwvortex or clubb5 and printed a copy of those instructions to add to my owners manual. In 2002 the cost was $145.87.

Tom

2nd Gear
    Yeah, I have a 98 and bought the Hella switchblade off eBay. The one that ends in 753f is the one you want. Good luck!

3rd Gear
    Can't you just buy a switchblade remote on ebay, and put your existing key onto it?

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information