I HATE WHEEL LOCKS! Any know how to remove without the key?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Redline

I HATE WHEEL LOCKS! Any know how to remove without the key?

I went to put my new to my RH 18's on today so I could sell my stockers and when I popped off the covers I saw the wheel locks and then remembered I had the key in the jack kit. No sweat, I have the key. When I got the car used it had to jack kits, but only one key. I go into the trunk AND THERE'S ONLY ONE JACK KIT AND IT WASN'T THE ONE WITH THE KEY IN IT!!!!! So now I'm stuck with 18's in my living room (still) and I can't get my stock wheels off. Any know how to get them off that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg??? :???: :???: :???:

Paul

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    You are probably going to weld (spelling?) something onto it. I had to take mine to a shop because my antitheft bolts were stripped.

good luck

Redline
    Oh HELL NO!!!!!!! There's no way ANYONE's getting near my NEW paint with a welder. Maybe I'll find 4 cheap ass sockets and hammer them in.

Anyone else???

Paul

3rd Gear
    you could try hot glue or super glue. I also heard that shops can chisel (sp?) them out. probably just as dangerous for your paint, but if you show them u just had ur car painted and make sure they know if they mess it up, they will pay to repaint it, im sure they will be careful. you could also get them to sign something saying there are no scratches whatso ever and if u find one, they will repaint the entire car. Good luck

Neutral
    I like the socket idea

3rd Gear
    I was in a similar situation before...

My car had a flat, and on my 2001 GLX, the car came with a nifty little black plastic roll-up tool holder that had an almost secret-like pouch that hid the wheel lock from plain view.

Needless to say, when my sister took it to a local garage, they easily overlooked this pouch and concluded there was no wheel lock. According to my sister (I was at work, and was not able to point out the location of the wheel lock), she said that the mechanic simply took a wheel lock of similar pattern, and "beat it in." I really couldn't be too angry becuase the mechanic did ask for my sister's permission, and my dear dear sister paid dearly for her mistake.... with her life. :suspicio: Juss' kiddin'.

I realize this is not the most effective way, but desperate situations call for desperate measures.

HTH,
    alex

1st Gear
    I don't get it. Why does everyone want to beat the crap out of perfectly good wheell locks :???: I'd bet nearest VW dealer will have right socket for them as well as 4 new bolts (if you not gonna put them back on).

1st Gear
    Maybe find a nice B5er who will let you borrow his/her key?

Neutral
    hey from what i understand the key is for your vin#.. but a few weeks ago i got my rims in from tirerack and tryed to take my tires off myself. not good if you have a few beers in ya! well needless to say i striped three of the locks! i took my car to discount tire and they charged me $25 and took them off and put on my new rims. alls they did was beat on a socket! too easy if you have the tools. even easyer if you have discount tire in your town! good luck, but the socket will work!

3rd Gear

try the dealership!

Quote Originally Posted by syndicate327
    Maybe find a nice B5er who will let you borrow his/her key?
    not as easy as that... there are a number of different combos for our wheel locks...

the best bet would be to go back to your dealership or just the service guys and ask them to unlock the wheel locks... they have a master set.

3rd Gear
    The new wheel lock bolt is 65 dollars from any VW dealership... just go there, or better yet, ask them to take it off for you, it would be more like 20 . The guy your selling your rims to will want the lock no doubt.

Redline
    I can't see why he'd want the lock for my stock 15" 7-spokes. I just think wheel locks in general are a huge pain in the the ass. I have an appt on Tuesday to fix my door lock anyway so maybe I'll see about having them take the locks off. $65 for a key is a rip-off since you can get an entire SET of locks with a new key for less. Thanks for all the suggestions!!! You guys rock! :bow:

Paul

3rd Gear
    try the dealer. the keys dont go by vin, they have a bunch of different shape keys and they sometimes will have some spares to try for this type of problem, even if its a close match you can sometimes break the lock loose with another one, or maybe they have the same one. otherwise, mac tools and snap on tools both sell a great wheel lock removal kit, mac tools is the better set.

4th Gear
    Volkswagen only has a few patterns for their stock wheel locks and most dealerships have the keys to remove them. Just visit a dealership and they will be able to remove the VW Wheel Locks.

I'm in a real bind because the dealership who performed my service lost my McGuard Wheel Locks. I always place both my McGuards and VW Wheel Locks in a small plastic bag so the technician doesn't lose them. Now the dealership will have to eat about 2 hours of labor and pay for a new set of McGuards.

Neutral
    Someone said that the bolt was 65$ and that's wrong, its actually about 20$. I had my wheel lock key in my car and took it in for service, afterwards the key was gone. Hmmm, interesting. In the end I had to buy a new bolt and key (it comes as a set) for about 20$.

the deal finder!
    Quote Originally Posted by quality_sound
    I can't see why he'd want the lock for my stock 15" 7-spokes.

Paul
    yeah, no kidding. i'm not real sure why they'd do that. i didn't have any on my adelaides. good thing too since it made it real easy to take off when i had a flat 8)

5th Gear
    I've removed them with an impact socket... Find what size is just snug around the lock and hammer it on... Or any good tire shop worth it's name should have a wheel lock removal kit. I had one when I ran my Goodyear outlet. They're available thru Snap-On and guys like that....

Redline
    The biggest problem with using a socket is there's nothing to grab onto since the lock is smooth on the outside like a Gorilla lock. I think I'll try the dealer when I go on Tuesday. If it's reasonable I may just keep the locks, but they're such a pain. We'll see. Thanks for all of the info!!!

Paul

1st Gear
    I know couple of guys in the Bronx that can take care of that in seconds ... let me know if you are interested ....

Neutral
    You can try to use a gator socket to get in there and grab it. I dont know how big the holes on your rims are, but its a twenty dollar tool that is commonly used to steal rims. Also most wheel lock companys give you a card with the lock number on them so if you lose the key you can order a new one. Or you can use a tig and weld a bolt to it. That is what they will do at a wheel shop.

HTH

Neutral
    Now i had this problem with my 318ti. .. if yoru worried about your paint then you might want to skip this but what you can do, if they are like the bmw ones is use a screw driver to wdge in there and then use a mallet to pound them around if you pm me i actually have pictures as i did a write up on DTM back in the day.

Redline
    OppJonez and jerzyb5, these options won't work since the locks on my wheels are completely smooth on the outside and the teeth are on the inside, like a Torx bit. I didn't any info about the locks since they were already on the car when I bought it.

Paul

24. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information