How many starts to reset the check engine light.............
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    4th Gear

How many starts to reset the check engine light.............

Well I did a search and was not really satisfied on how many starts it will take to reset the "check engine light". Last night my light came on I drove home. I have experienced this light many times (being nothing of great importance) I remember the other day I got gas being on empty I got the gas receipt for only 6 gallons added to the car. My thought was very suspesious until I saw my fuel gage only being just above the half mark. So, my first thought when I got home was to check the gas cap. Ahh, it was not even screwed on, but hanging. (Oregon has gas attendants pump gas) BAM! Answered my question on why my "check engine light" came on. So, I have forgotten how many starts you have to achieve to make that light go off(reset)? If I rememeber it was something like 10 starts? Am I correct? TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    Should be 5-7. I have discovered that it is not precise, but that is what people are usually seeing with resolved/repaired issues and no manual ECU reset.

And it is not just start and shut it off 7 times, it requires a few hours in between duty cycles.

If the ECU has an error it thinks has gone away, it will shut off the MIL, but you will still have a code logged.

HTH,
    Mark

2nd Gear
    Agree with Mark. I had the same issue. Cleared after 5 starts. Ran fine even with the light on.

5th Gear
    Same here...took 5 starts to clear the one cel i got in 25k miles.

4th Gear
    Well I have found that is not the problem!!! I was sure it was because of the loose gas cap. I went and got the code checked and it is PO442 "Catalyst threshold bank #1. Or if you read the code out of the Haynes manual it says: " evaporative emission control system, small leak detected". Now I have to tear some items apart and see if I can find anything as far as a cracked hose or a disconnected hose. One will see. Thanks guys.

5th Gear
    to continue with the original post question, i had the CEL come on Sat. morning in an aborted-attempt at starting my car after a night of zero degree weather (didn't want to ride the starter for too long). after that the light was on, i got the car started the next try and i think after 4 or 5 cycles the light went away (thankfully)

4th Gear
    Seems that cold weather can implement the engine lights also? From my experience in the past. Glad to hear it went away :-)

9. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information