Internal cracks in K03 turbine housing - problem?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Internal cracks in K03 turbine housing - problem?

While disassembling a '99 Passat to replace the head due to a failed TB tensioner, I found that the turbine/wastegate port intersection has a crack in it. The crack is completely internal to the turbo exhaust housing. I am wondering if I should replace the turbo or not, as this could be something that happens within a short amount of use anyway and causes no other problems.

BTW, the turbo has 77k miles on it, and it is from an early B5 (AEB engine code). Also, the wastegate rod (that passes throught the turbo, not the actuator rod) has some play within it's bore. Is this normal, or should I replace this thing?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    i had the same exact problem. (cracks inner housing) my mech said it will be o.k. for a while but will eventually break. as for the wastegate rod, it could cause poor performance, but shouldn't leave you stranded. mine was 98 aeb also. probably had something to do with the heatshield recall. i replaced mine with a k04. good time to upgrade!!

Neutral
    Thanks for the info. I'm not really interested in upgrading, as I don't really use the car for anything but commuting, and it's a tiptronic anyway. I have a sports car for the fun stuff. I'll likely purchase one of the used/new K03's various members of the forum have available.

I think the heat shield issue was to resolve the problem of coking in the oil supply line to the turbo, due to it's close close proximity to the engine. The coking eventually caused turbo failure. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

PassatWorld Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by TimS2
    The coking eventually caused turbo failure...
    Although the primary cause of turbo failure from coking would be the bearing(s) seizing - before they seize, they generate too much heat. Too much heat can cause (1) wastegate failure (2) turbo cracking.

2nd Gear
    its time to buy a BIGGER TURBO!!!

7. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information