How to change a fog light (bulb only) on a Passat 2002 ?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

How to change a fog light (bulb only) on a Passat 2002 ?

Hi,
    I need to change a fog light. Does anyone know how to do this ?

My dealership tells me it has to be done from under the car and charge me .5 hour of labor.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    well I don't know if its the same, but on my '98. all you have to do is pop open the hood and find the rubber covers(it should be the the small cover). those things slide right off. underneath them, you will find a casing with wires running to it. it is clamped in, with a side clamp. simply pull off that clip, and remove the casing, which holds the bul;b on the other sidereplace the bulb, and do everything else I've told you in reverse order. it took me like 5 minutes. Again, this was on my B5, so if you open it up and don't see the rubber covers, this might not work for you. just tryin to help. Phantom

MDG
    2nd Gear
    The fog light on the '02 is a can like unit with a replaceable bulb. To replace either, first pull the side piece of the under side grille unit off, it just snaps out. Now you can see the fog light and it unscrews and disconnects from the power line. Depending on what you need to do, you can either open and replace a bulb or replace the entire unit. I cracked my lens last year and paid something like $100 for a replacement unit I installed myself. It is not hard to do. If they are quoting you that for a bulb replacement, you can probably do it yourself faster, unless you are working outside on a cold Montreal day.

Good luck.

Neutral
    yeah, listen to him!! LOL he sounds like he knows more about the '02! just disregard everything I said. I guess they did change it between the years!

Phantom

MDG
    2nd Gear
    I know that after I paid for a replacement unit, I invested in the X-pel covers!

3rd Gear
    Check out ClubB5's Information forum. Along with lots of other technical and how-to articles, you'd find this article, complete with photos, written by Rich P.

MDG
    2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by DCdave
    Check out ClubB5's Information forum. Along with lots of other technical and how-to articles, you'd find this article, complete with photos, written by Rich P.
    Listen to Dave. I should have referenced this article, I think that's where I found the directions to do it.

RobertK with these directions you can't go wrong!

Mil
    1st Gear
    Hello,

To boost your confidence. I've changed fog bulbs myself on my b5.5

Its to easy.. here's the url to take you to fog lamp replacement posted in tech help.. _ mil

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtop...asc&highlight=

Neutral
    THanks a lot everyone !

I was not expecting that much info...

6th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by robertk
    THanks a lot everyone !

I was not expecting that much info...
    Ask & you shall receive is the moto in this forum :wink:

Neutral
    any guides that work now?

thanks

3rd Gear

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by MDG
    The fog light on the '02 is a can like unit with a replaceable bulb. To replace either, first pull the side piece of the under side grille unit off, it just snaps out. Now you can see the fog light and it unscrews and disconnects from the power line. Depending on what you need to do, you can either open and replace a bulb or replace the entire unit. I cracked my lens last year and paid something like $100 for a replacement unit I installed myself. It is not hard to do. If they are quoting you that for a bulb replacement, you can probably do it yourself faster, unless you are working outside on a cold Montreal day.

Good luck.
    This is correct. I've got an '02 and recently upgraded my bulbs. 3 screws and the unit comes out, put in new bulb.

Neutral
    I did this man is it a pain.
    The krauts did a good job on the key but lousy on the fog lights

3rd Gear
    How was it a pain? What part did you feel was the most difficult? Anything that we can do to update the Info forum post to make it easier is helpful to the next person.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurft
    How was it a pain? What part did you feel was the most difficult? Anything that we can do to update the Info forum post to make it easier is helpful to the next person.

Adding the pics back would be great.

Neutral
    Well i was just saying that without a book (owners manual) or any guide it was a pain. Not to mention you have you physically remove the fog light. I have never had a car where you had to do that.
    Then get the damn thing apart Sheesh! I can never get those childproof lids open.

3rd Gear

3rd Gear

Neutral
    ((((( Replacing fog light bulbs for the VW Passat model year 2001.5 – 2003 ))))))

Excellent description from "peppy" Rich P. along with Pic's that will lead you through the entire DIY job from start to finish. I would like to add...

To all you wrench turners... If you cannot describe a DIY job in this fashion, please save your Bla Bla Bla along with pointing us to URL's that don't exist! Test your links from PassatWorld! If in error, remove your bogus post immediately. Take a lesson on what and how to post on this site from "peppy". Describe the job in your post or keep your comments to yourself. Don't waist our valuable time. Nobody cares!

Here is "peppy's" link to accomplish this task. You're the Man Rich!
    http://home.comcast.net/~slashpub/fo...lightBulbs.pdf

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GMSChicagoBears View Post
    ((((( Replacing fog light bulbs for the VW Passat model year 2001.5 – 2003 ))))))

Excellent description from "peppy" Rich P. along with Pic's that will lead you through the entire DIY job from start to finish. I would like to add...

To all you wrench turners... If you cannot describe a DIY job in this fashion, please save your Bla Bla Bla along with pointing us to URL's that don't exist! Test your links from PassatWorld! If in error, remove your bogus post immediately. Take a lesson on what and how to post on this site from "peppy". Describe the job in your post or keep your comments to yourself. Don't waist our valuable time. Nobody cares!

Here is "peppy's" link to accomplish this task. You're the Man Rich!
    http://home.comcast.net/~slashpub/foglights/ReplacingFoglightBulbs.pdf
    you haven't been here long enough to understand what happened. complaining about missing information on this site only happens because you don't know the history here.

the site was originally called clubB5.com. the owner decided to make people host pix on another picture server (like photobucket), rather than hosting them here. people take down pix they don't need in their own accounts when space gets tight...

make sense now?

23. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information