how to clear error codes? check engine light on
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

how to clear error codes? check engine light on

2001.5 2.8L

I had the CEL light come on solid for the 2nd time tonight. The last time it happened was about a year ago. I really freaked out the first time it happened, but am much more calm now as I see it's not at all uncommon.

I was told that after a certain number of successful (ie error-free) starts (I believe the number is 7), the error will clear. Of course any failures and the light stays on. I was also informed that the starts had to be spaced out over time (ie you couldn't just sit there and continously start, stop, and restart the engine in a short period of time to clear the error).

Can anyone verify this, and does anyone know the exact numbers, both number of error free starts, and the time interval between each restart?

The first time I got the dreaded CEL, it was the following day after I filled up my tank from near empty at night, and it was cold, near freezing. Well this time, it's the same exact scenario. So I'm leaning towards the fuel cap. The first time, the error cleared itself in about 1.5-2 days, which coincided with about 7 spaced out starts. I did make an appointment with VW to check the error code, but of course that was scheduled for days later and needless to say I never made it there, so I never got to verify the exact error code. I'm only assuming it was the fuel cap, as there were no noticeable problems.

I might take it to AZ tomorrow as it's near my work.

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Buy a PDA and ProDiag.
    Many months ago was sold in a GB.
    Link:
    www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49030

1st Gear
    Or, you can just disconnect your battery for about 15-30 minutes to clear the CEL.

Neutral
    If you have an AutoZone store nearby, they have the scan tool to both read and clear the error... and they provide this as a FREE service to you. They'd prefer you bought the parts to fix the reported problem, but if you have a store nearby you could get it both checked and cleared...

-Greg

NVL
    1st Gear
    Ditto on AutoZone.
    Got the CEL two days ago, when we got hit with some serious cold. I was a little nervous after reading the CEL posts on this site - MAF, temp sensor, etc., they all sounded expensive.
    Took the Passat to AutoZone, they checked and cleared the code: P441, evaporative emissions (i.e. gas tank). The guy at the store explained that this could be triggered on a cold day if there is any moisture near the gas cap, which freezes and then the cap won't vent properly, causing a CEL.
    Anyway, he cleared it (all free!) and the light hasn't come back.
    Nik

1st Gear
    The Autozone here won't clear the code for me, because they said it's the law, only the dealer can clear it for me. And I checked like 5 different one around the valley, and I got the same answer. :roll:

Loose female member
    Quote Originally Posted by dxiao
    Or, you can just disconnect your battery for about 15-30 minutes to clear the CEL.
    This is bad advice, don't do it !!! it won't clear the code and will more than likely produce more faults.

No one has mentioned VAG-COM yet, i suppose it's assumed we all know about them.

Go here www.ross-tech.com

It will be the best $200 you have ever spent on your car.

Neutral

P0491/P0492 - Secondary Air Injection System Bank 1/2

Just got back from AutoZone.

The error codes are:

P0491 - Secondary Air Injection System Bank 1
    P0492 - Secondary Air Injection System Bank 2

I called a couple of dealers so far; one is telling me that they can't diagnose or provide any information over the phone, you need to bring in the car so they can take your money. The other said don't worry about it, it will probably clear.

Anyone have more info on this problem? How to correct it, anything to be concerned about?

This was all I could find on the web: http://www.automotiveforums.com/t89284.html

"The secondary air injection pump is an emissions control device. It is the round part near the passanger side of the car with a hose connected to it from the front of the car. It pumps air into the exhaust manifold. It has a filter piece on the top of it. Maybe it's clogged."

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by dxiao
    The Autozone here won't clear the code for me, because they said it's the law, only the dealer can clear it for me. And I checked like 5 different one around the valley, and I got the same answer. :roll:
    but with your location I am sure that there are plenty of people close by you with a Vag-Com like CRD99 for example, I am sure he has one.

Also I would love to see that law in writing, probably just a state ordinance.

Pete

11. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information