radio continues playing after keys removed
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

radio continues playing after keys removed

Hi, everyone. I have a 2000 GLS and it started having a strange problem this weekend. When I started the car, I noticed the radio was off--and I knew I hadn't turned it off. When I reached my destination, I turned off the car and removed the keys from the ignition. The radio kept playing, and I had to turn it off manually.

Has anyone ever had/heard of this problem? If so, is it just an inconvenience or is it indicative of a larger problem brewing in the ignition or electrical systems?

(This is my first post here, but I've had great success in researching things through the archives--this is a great resource!)

Thanks a lot,
    Susan

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    It should stay on until you open the door. Try that. Sometimes it might take you by surprise if you hadn't noticed it before.

This is my first post too. I'm glad to be here.

6th Gear
    Hi Susan and welcome. You're experiencing normal operation. The radio will turn itself off after a prescribed period of time in order to preserve the battery. I can't recall exactly HOW much time. Depending upon your point of view, its either a convenience or an example of some engineer having too much time on their hands.

Regards,

Kenny

Banned
    I think you can change the behavior with the VAG-COM. With my B5, the stereo turns off when I pull the key out of the ignition. Is this how yours behaved before? I'm not sure how it could have changed by itself. But then again, this is VW we're talking about.

Neutral
    >>With my B5, the stereo turns off when I pull the key out of the ignition. Is this how yours behaved before?

Yes, that's what it's done for the almost four years I've had it, which is why it freaked me out when it stayed on. (Look at keys in hand, look at radio, realize radio is still playing--what the heck!)

I've racked my brain trying to remember if I (or the car) did anything differently on Friday. The only thing I can think of is that I was bragging on the car last week, which usually does me in.

I haven't tried opening the door to see if that makes it stop, but I'll try it and see.

Thanks for the help so far!
    Susan

Arj
    4th Gear
    Mine turns off when I pull the keys out of the ignition too. But, as long as I don't open the door (well, ~20 minute grace period, if I recall the manual correctly), I can turn it back on. I guess it is either configurable or maybe depends on the model year/radio type. I have a 2001.5 and single DIN Monsoon.

1st Gear
    Seems weird that the radio didn't turn on when you started the car if that is the way you left it. I have a 2002 single DIN Monsoon like Arj and it operates the same. However, my old beater VW had a similar problem which got so bad the radio would turn and off while I was driving. Turned out to be just a loose connection. You may want to check them out. BTW, welcome to the club.

2nd Gear
    No I think it should turn off when the key is removed. And if you trun it On manualy after the key is removed it will work for 20 mins or 1 hr. (I forget which one). Then if you turn if off, the next time you start the car it will not come ON unless you power it On. But is should power off when the key is removed.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by sameero
    No I think it should turn off when the key is removed. And if you trun it On manualy after the key is removed it will work for 20 mins or 1 hr. (I forget which one). Then if you turn if off, the next time you start the car it will not come ON unless you power it On. But is should power off when the key is removed.
    It's an hour. It should turn off when the engine is shut off, whether you leave the key in or not. If it is off when the ignition is turned off, it will stay off next time you start the car, even if you turned it on w/o the key. If you have the radio on, it will stay on when the car is started.

The windows can also be activated after the car is shut off, but that feature is not available after you open the door, but the radio is.

Neutral
    Thanks to everyone for the info. I've tried opening the door, etc., but it just keeps on playing. As it's been over a week since this started and nothing adverse has happened, I'm just turning the radio on and off manually. I'm almost due for an oil change, so I'll just have the mechanic look at it then. But in the meantime, I've learned some new stuff. Thanks again!

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by smiskell74
    Thanks to everyone for the info. I've tried opening the door, etc., but it just keeps on playing. As it's been over a week since this started and nothing adverse has happened, I'm just turning the radio on and off manually. I'm almost due for an oil change, so I'll just have the mechanic look at it then. But in the meantime, I've learned some new stuff. Thanks again!
    It sounds like your comfort/convenience system is not shutting down when you remove the key. This wil in fact drain the battery even if you turn the radio off (trust me, I made the mistake of leaving key in ignition overnight).

1st Gear
    On my 2000GLS, the radio turns off when you take the key out... but you can turn it back on without the key! It might just be a bad switch...

3rd Gear
    I had this happen because there is a piece in the ignition that closes when the key is removed. If I took the key out too slowly the radio would stay on. The next drive with the radio on when you stop be sure to pull the key out quickly and see if it still happens.

Neutral
    About 2 weeks ago, the same thing happened to me when I pulled the key out. :???: This happened once. About a week ago, my drivers side headlight burned out. Is there a connection? You tell me.

2nd Gear
    On my '99 GLS - the owner's manual said that the radio would work up to an hour after the keys were removed - and the electric windows for ten minutes.

I guess if you forget to close your windows - then you do not have to start the car to close them.

I never really gave it much thought - as I always turn the radio off before exiting the car.

Neutral
    An update on my radio: I left it off all last week because I was tired of the turn on/turn off thing and made an appointment at the dealership to have it evaluated. (Nothing else strange ever happened.) When I tried it again on Sunday, it was working normally and has ever since, so I guess it's righted itself. I told the tech at the dealership about it, and they didn't run any special tests since the problem wasn't still occurring (and I had neither the extra time nor money for them to find nothing wrong), but they did do a general check of all the systems.

So...we're fine for now, and I hope it stays that way! Thanks to everyone for the advice!

18. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information