Does your headlight pattern look like this?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Does your headlight pattern look like this?

'00 GLS 1.8T

On a dark road the beam pattern shows a distinct "cutoff" where it hits the road surface. Good for oncoming traffic, I suppose but feels like the headlights are pointed the the passenger side of the car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Yep, HIDs are even more pronounced.

1st Gear

Re: Does your headlight pattern look like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Airboy

On a dark road the beam pattern shows a distinct "cutoff" where it hits the road surface. Good for oncoming traffic, I suppose but feels like the headlights are pointed the the passenger side of the car.
    Headlights are supposed to point slightly toward the passenger side, or at least the driver's side light should, just a bit anyway. That cut off is a common lighting pattern for "city lights" in europe, or so I have come to understand.

My 99 1.8T has exactly the same pattern.

2nd Gear

the headlights are pointed the the passenger side of the car.
    That's right. It's so the lights illuminate the signs on the side of the road.

3rd Gear

'00 GLS 1.8T

This is what my headlight pattern looks like (I was comparing 2 different bulbs) Your beams appear to be slanted... I don't know if that is normal or not. I think I need to adjust mine slightly, my right side headlight points a little higher than my left side.

6th Gear
    Looks a little slanted to the right :suspicio: , but with the projector type of head light on our B5.5, that is the exact same pattern that I have on my car. Just happened to change out my bulbs last night. :wink:

Neutral
    Is there an easy way to adjust the headlights? Mine are a little off and I couldn't find anything in the owners manual...

3rd Gear
    I believe it is as simple as twisting the little plastic screws on top of the headlight casing. I have never done it myself, so I don't know what tools you need. I believe it is just a torx wrench...

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by cranch
    Is there an easy way to adjust the headlights? Mine are a little off and I couldn't find anything in the owners manual...
    On my '99 all you need is a good sized philips screwdriver. Above the headlamp units are two small holes which allow access to the adjuster screws. They are allen head sockets with philips slots inside so you can use either(if I recall correctly...I don't think they were torx. I used a philips anyway, that much I know for sure).

The passenger lowbeam should be a bit higher than the driver's side...that's the way all factory lamps are set up. Highbeams should both be about the same height though.

6th Gear
    Adjusting the low beam for the B5.5 is fairly simple. Look for the two white plastic screws above the head light housing, but recessed under the plastic cover. Take care not to over adjust and blind on coming driver.

FOG LIGHT ADJUSTMENT

"For the fog lights, if you remove the plastic grill surrounding them, you will see a large hex screw at the base of the fog lamp housing. This will adjust the aim up/down."

LOW BEAM ADJUSTMENT

"For adjusting the low beams, there are 2 white plastic 6mm hex nuts above each headlight assemble. The inner nut next to the grill adjusts up and down....counter clockwise adjusts up /clockwise adjusts down.....the outer nut next to the fender adjusts left and right."

1st Gear

These lights look like HID's to me (color and pattern).

13. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information