I am tired of replacing headlights...any long lasting bulbs?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

I am tired of replacing headlights...any long lasting bulbs?

I replace a burntout headlight bulb about 1 time/3months...a real pain. Are there any long duration bulbs that you'd recommend for high beams or low for that matter. Also, should I disconnect the DRLs??? I like them on during the day but I DO NOT like the changing. Also, is it hard to change these myself...I've read the threads but not actually done it yet. I am not sure what I do to get the high beam bulb out once I get my fingers on it ...how do I remove the old one and get it out? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    A quick fix for the DRl's is to disconnect relay 173 from inside the fuse-box. Do a search for "DRL", it should show you instructions in the information forum. You could always upgrade to Xenon's if you don't like changing bulbs often... :wink: Seriously though, I haven't had to replace a bulb once yet (knock on fake wood office desk), maybe there's a problem with the wiring? Are you getting your hand all over the bulb when you install it? If so, you might want to take a clean rag and wipe any excess oil off the bulb surface. Good luck!

Lisa Simpson
    Phillips VisionPlus have done well by us.

4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
    Check this thread there is something there about VW long life.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1030114

3rd Gear
    wipe the bulbs with an alcohol pad before installation

3rd Gear
    Slight segue question...on topic but down a different road:

I mean this completely sincerely; I really do want to know...how common is it to have headlight bulb failures in any car? How often is this happening to members here, and did it ever happen to you on another non-VW vehicle? I ask, because I have never had a headlight go out on any car I've ever owned. In fact, I've never had a factory installed light go out, be it turn signal, taillight, foglight, interior light, etc.

I've had Alfa Romeo, Cadillac, Pontiac, VW, Saab, Volvo, Mitsubishi, Honda, and Hyundai. Some for many years...the Hyundai went 5 years and over 100,000 miles. The Mitsu went 6 years and over 130,000 miles.

In fact, the only light that have ever gone out in any car I've owned was on the Hyundai, when I installed the Bosch foglights from the Saab under the bumper (the Saab was first my stepfathers, and I had the Hyundai for college...he replaced the front fascia when it got damaged, and had already taken the foglights out, but when the shop fixed up the car, they replaced the fogs, leaving us with an extra set, which I installed on the Hyundai..making it the brightest Hyundai on the road!)...one of those fogs burned out, and I had to replace the bulb (which a friendly Jaguar dealer in New Orleans did for free, since Jags used the same Bosch fogs).

I see posts pop up about burned out headlights here, and on other automobile forums, and I just can't believe I have managed to go through 11 cars from 5 countries and 9 manufacturers over 18 years without ever having one go!

Have I really been that lucky, or could the headlight problem like this one be related to an electrical problem or installation problem?

Thanks.

4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
    I have had lamps/bulbs go on a lot of the GMs I have owned but most were lamps .. not bulbs. Some Halogens when they first came out. have an 03 Passat .. 8,000 miles and 6 months onthe stock no burn outs and then I went to EuroLite ( lows) and Phillips Vision+ ( Hi) and no burn outs .. now at 16,000 miles

3rd Gear
    I replaced my bulbs at about 2 years of use (one went out) then I disabled the DRL's and I'm on over 3 years on the current bulbs. Think about it, with DRL's they're on all the time!

-Mark

1st Gear
    If you are burning bulbs very quickly then one possibilty is a faulty voltage regulator. It's worth checking out. I don't know where it is on the passat, but you just need a volt/olm meter to check it out.

Neutral
    Philips

Osram Sylvania :thumbdow:

Neutral
    i heard PIAA bulbs are pretty reliable as well.. altho they can get really pricy

3rd Gear
    Phillips Vision Plus for me :wink: I may go to cool blues for my fogs. Next time I change out my lights I am going to put in either Phillips Blue Vision Eurolites (www.eurolights.com) I haven't heard much from euro lights as far as how long they last and such, so probably the phillips

GH
    1st Gear
    DRLs can shorten bulb life. It is better to run full voltage on a halogen light than reduced voltage since at lower temperatures the tungsten is not redeposited on the filament. If they are frequently run without having full voltage applied, then life will be reduced.

Since you did not replace the bulbs, you don't know that they were clean, but you can find out when you remove them. If they have fingerprints on them that is the reason for failure.

Do you drive at night infrequently? If so the DRLs are probably the issue, and they should be modified to full power or disabled.

Otherwise I think you may have another issue that is manifesting itself through the short headlight life, and you should get the electrical system checked.

15. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information