Low Fuel Warning light question....
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3rd Gear
    Train as you fight, fight as your train...

Low Fuel Warning light question....

I have a question about the Low Fuel Warning light...after it comes on, will it start flashing as the fuel level runs lower?

I ask this because I was out this AM and had the light come on...about 5-6 miles later, the engine felt as though it was missing and sputering, I was on my way to fill up, and as I pulled into the station, the car died.......I thought, although I cannot find it in the owners manual, that the light would start flashing as you drove...

anywho..thanks, Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

5th Gear
    Don't think so. The light comes on with a couple of gallons left in the tank, maybe less, and that's it. I've heard of that feature on other cars, but I don't think we've got it...

Andy

3rd Gear
    That figures...my wife's $13,000 Prizm has it and my $26,000 German made car does not....I can get a temp warning with a cute snowflake, but when the low fuel warning comes on, I better get my ass to the gas station...

I was doing a full on, full tank to empty, mileage check since I got the fuel filter on....

On the side note-My MPG is up...I drive in the city , stop-n-go, 95% the time, and I'm getting 23.7 MPG....not bad I would think for city driving...

2nd Gear
    If you drive the car farther down to empty you will notice better gas milage. You are progressivly reducing the sprung weight of the car after all.

MDG
    2nd Gear
    I question why you ran dry only 5-6 miles after the light first came on. I recall other threads re what's left when that light comes on and the consensus is several gallons. I have personally run 50+ interstate miles with it on (once, as a test...). Wonder if you have some other issues there...

Good luck.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by MDG
    I question why you ran dry only 5-6 miles after the light first came on. I recall other threads re what's left when that light comes on and the consensus is several gallons. I have personally run 50+ interstate miles with it on (once, as a test...). Wonder if you have some other issues there...
    The light comes on at 1/8th of a tank (2-gal reserve excluded, comes to a little less than 4gal at an indicated 1/8th). If I fill up immediately after my light goes off, I can get in 12.0gal or less. Certainly no problem with driving to work and back (~20mi now) and being very low (filled up ~12.8 gal the other day in that instance, so I still had 3.6gal until I was dry).

Certainly sounds like something's wrong if the light goes off and you can't get very far before dying..... :???:

Neutral
    I tend to tempt fate between fill-ups but whenever the low fuel warning indicator comes on I set the trip computer to "distance to empty" mode (a small gas pump appears I believe). In any case, it always indicates about 30-40 miles until empty. Sounds about right as my avg mpg is right around 30 (02 GLS 1.8T 5spd suburban driving). I think the manual says how much is left when the light comes on, around a gallon or so.

3rd Gear
    My manual says a 2.2 gal reserve...I certainly thought I had longer than the 5-6 miles too.....I figured that at a minimum of 16 miles a gallon, I still would have 32 miles before I ran out.... :suspicio:

I never have, since I got the car, let the fuel get low enough to kick the light on...this is the first time, only because I wanted to get a accurate MPG after the fuel filter replacement....

6th Gear
    Dan,

How much fuel did the tank take when you did fill it? Maybe the warning light came on late? I'll agree with whoever said that the tank will take about 12 gallons when the light first comes on.

3rd Gear
    Looking at the reciept..it says that the tank took 15.95 gallons....our tanks hold 16.4....

Neutral

Gas

Also the manuel states not to let it get to the very end!!! Supposidly supposed to be bad for it!!! WHATEVER!!!! :weirdo:

1st Gear
    There should be at least 40-50 miles left when the light initially comes on (around 2 gallons). Are you sure that was the first time that the light came on? Or did it come on earlier. You'll hear a very audible BEEP when the warning light is triggered. Perhaps someone else was driving your car and didn't tell you

How many gallons of gas did you put in when you filled up? Compare this to your tank size and you can see if you were really empty. If not, perhaps your gas down in the bottom of the tank was dirty or something... HTH.

Just re-read the thread - your light should have come on earlier if you only had 0.5 gallons left. Sound to me like the last 0.5 gallon was dirty and not really of the best quality - maybe that caused the sputtering and rough idling. If you are sure that the light never came on earlier, I would also check your fuel senders to make sure that they are operating properly.

3rd Gear
    I know when it came on....I had just dropped the boy off at pre-school...it came on just as I had pulled away from the school...

2nd Gear
    Very odd..
    On my V6 4 Motion (03) it will give me a low fuel light when i have about 45 less miles left on the tank (or as it says on the little computer on the gauge), which is not all that bad.. And ususal when i fill up when that happens, i only fill up to max ~15gal of gas.. Never, seen it get as far 16 for me and i have been trouble places where there is NO GAS STATION for a while with the light on.. but i was able to get to one just as it said i had less then 5 miles to go but no problem.

What i do notice is if you have the low fuel light and turn off your car and start up again, it does take a while before it gives you the light but i dont think that is the problem in this case.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by MeinPassat
    Looking at the reciept..it says that the tank took 15.95 gallons....our tanks hold 16.4....
    Something's definitely up with your fuel sensor or something, it should be alerting you well before then. I've filled up on E before (days after the light came on) and only been able to get <14 in.... (Again, usually 12-13gal, and I usually don't fill up immediately after the light, usually ~20mi later.)

3rd Gear
    I thought I read somewhere back on this forum that one can adjust when that fuel light comes on using a vag-com. There's a discrepancy between how much people fill up after the light comes on - anywhere from 12 gallons to almost 16 gallons like yourself.

Neutral

Re: Gas

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1.8TPASSAT
    Also the manuel states not to let it get to the very end!!! Supposidly supposed to be bad for it!!! WHATEVER!!!! :weirdo:
    Yeah, it is very bad to let a fuel injected car go to empty...from what I have heard it can cause a lot of problems... But that is all that I have heard. Nothing about what happens or why it happens. So, go to empty at your own risk, you may be shortening the life of your vehicle.

3rd Gear
    I too am confused/concerned....I thought, from reading posts here in the past, that I should have had at least 50+ miles worth of driving left when the light comes on...

I guess I will, when I can, get over the dealer and have them see if the sensor is off or what....thanks to all for the comments...

3rd Gear
    Hmm, I dunno, you should get an alert before that though. Even so, you had .45 gallons of gas left, lets say half of that is unusable, you should still have a little left, maybe you were on an incline. I fill up when I get to a quarter of a tank. I have only seen the low fuel light once. Thats like major panic mode for me. I hate low fuel. In fact I constantly moniter distance till empty once I hit 1/3 a tank

3rd Gear
    dude, i'm as cheap as they come and there has been many of times when i've "pulled a kramer" and i've gotten that needle pretty low (like it doesn't move up when you start the car) and i've never ran out of gas, you burried the wrong needle! after hearing this i'll probably keep some more gas in my car. the manual says it's bad for the cat to drive with low gas anyways.

6th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by MeinPassat
    I too am confused/concerned....I thought, from reading posts here in the past, that I should have had at least 50+ miles worth of driving left when the light comes on...

I guess I will, when I can, get over the dealer and have them see if the sensor is off or what....thanks to all for the comments...
    Yes, you're absolutely correct. I've never been able to put in more than 12 to 12.5 gallons when the light first lit. You put in 15.9? Yow-zaa!

On a similar note, I was driving home from Canada over the weekend - everyone in the car is asleep but me. The gas chime alarm sounds and woke everyone up instantly! Even though I was expecting it to sound, I still jumped when it went off. Can Vag-com lower the volume of the alarms on the B5.5?

5th Gear
    On both my 2001 GLX and my 03 W8, the light/beep happens just as the needle pases the 1/4 tank line. A few weeks ago I kept driving and it actually warned me again about 15 minutes later... Maybe it's an '03 or W8 thing ??

Neutral
    My 2001 GLX will beep more than once for low gas, once when you start and once later on while driving.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by emay
    My 2001 GLX will beep more than once for low gas, once when you start and once later on while driving.
    What happens, at least on my 2002, is that it beeps when you start the car, and then every X amount of time afterwards (like every 5 or 10 minutes while driving, or something like that), in order to remind you that you're still "low" on gas.

Neutral
    Once my gas light comes on, my '03 GLX will beep every time I turn on the car, but not after that while driving. I've actually driven a few miles beyond the point where it tells me I have zero miles left to fillup. When I filled up then, I still only put in less than 14 gallons on a 16.4 tank.

6th Gear
    Having just come off a long trip and pushing the edge of the envelope on miles on the tank, I can say that the only time I've gotten repeat beeps (assuming that the car is not turned off after receiving the first beep) is when the light has first come on and I've ascended and descented steep hills (the light has actually gone off and then back on, due to fuel sloshing). On flat roads, once it beeps, that's it. The only reminder you have is the little warning light on the MFA. This is on a 2003 variant with a 06/02 build date - Emden.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetgirl
    Once my gas light comes on, my '03 GLX will beep every time I turn on the car, but not after that while driving. I've actually driven a few miles beyond the point where it tells me I have zero miles left to fillup. When I filled up then, I still only put in less than 14 gallons on a 16.4 tank.
    That's strange, when my gas light comes on ('03 GLX 4mo) I have 20 miles indicated on the distance to empty - and that is no B.S. Tested it once, got down to zero miles to empty and then put in 16 gallons at the pump. :suspicio:

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by harman
    That's strange, when my gas light comes on ('03 GLX 4mo) I have 20 miles indicated on the distance to empty - and that is no B.S. Tested it once, got down to zero miles to empty and then put in 16 gallons at the pump. :suspicio:
    When my light initially comes on, it indicates I have about 35 miles to fillup, but my experience so far has been that when the light comes on I still about 4 gallons left in my tank, which is a lot more than 35 miles, even getting only 20MPG. :weirdo:

3rd Gear
    This mileage to fill-up display, is that a 5.5 thing or does all the B5's have that? I have a '98....GLS

Banned
    From my own experience, and from other members through different threads, the warning light comes on when you have 2 gallons and 2 gallons reserve, or 4 gallons.

Also on my ride, I get an initial warning beep and message, and after awhile (haven't measured/calculated when exactly), another beep and message pops up.

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information