Side mirror assembly is loose how do you tighten it
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Side mirror assembly is loose how do you tighten it

2000 passat

My driver side mirror assembly is very loose and shakes in the wind, not sure how it got this way as there are no marks on the assembly which suggest it got hit.

There are no ovbious fasteners on the outside. How do you tighten it?

I'm guessing you take off the speaker that is on the other side and there is a nut on that side which can be tightened?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    Take it to your dealer if you still have the b2b warranty. It'll save you time and effort.

Banned
    Alpharetta, but not in another insane subdivision, GA USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Go 'Canes
    Take it to your dealer if you still have the b2b warranty. It'll save you time and effort.
    DIY, that's what this site is about, right?

It's about a 5 minute job per door if you're at all mechanical. Well worth your time to not drive to and deal with the dealer.

Remove front door panel screws, prying the panel just enough to slide out the front tweeter panel, which has no mechanical fasteners, just a snug fit. The door pull doesn't need to come off for this.

Tighten the the torx bolt which is behind the foam filler panel that slides out as well. I forget the torx size but it's BIG. The first time I saw it I didn't have the right size so I grabbed it with needle nose vise grips to tighten, that worked fine and didn't damage such a big bolt.

Scott Schwartz
    Roxy 2001.5 1.8T Variant
    dzb5.com

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by D ZIGNER
    Roxy 2001.5 1.8T Variant
    dzb5.com
    Whatever, dude!

Banned
    Alpharetta, but not in another insane subdivision, GA USA
    Quote Originally Posted by D ZIGNER
    Roxy 2001.5 1.8T Variant
    dzb5.com
    Whatever, dude!
    Was that attitude? I can't tell.

Why not DIY? If we all just sent our cars out like some exotic car owners do for everything from detailing to oil changes to brakes, what would be the point of sharing the information we do in this site?

2nd Gear
    You have a point, but keep in mind that not everybody in this site has the same mechanical abilities that you might have, and end up breaking or ruining parts instead of fixing them.

How many threads have you seen where members have called themselves names because they have really screwed up fixing something or installing something.

Adjusting the mirror housing might not be too complicated for some people, but hey, if something breaks I really can't blame anyone but myself. BTW, I really do not consider visiting the dealership a bad experience, specially if I have warranty in the car and I know that it is going to be covered by it, and that I am going to get a free car wash from them; and not even mentioning stopping by the parts dept. to get a look of some accesories.

Good luck with the mirror housing in getting it fixed. No joking aside.

4th Gear
    ...and that I am going to get a free car wash from them...
    hehe, obviously you've never been to a dealership over here. :-P

I don't think I ever got a free car wash from the dealership, but it did take them 3 days to do my oil change when I was under warranty...

Sorry for the hijack...

1st Gear
    ive never had a problem with the dealers in the Dc area. They are just uysually busy.

anyways my car is out of warantee, as i only had the 2 year warantee(had to believe i've had it for 3 years as of last week!) so i will be doing it myself. I like working on my car and this sounds simple. I actually have to open up my doors anyways as my speakers haven't worked right since my car got hit several months ago.

1st Gear
    There is another fixing on the mirror on the hinge. Its a star washer that has a spring under it. The star washer can move slightly up yhe post or the srring can weaken. To fix this problem (mirror wobbly after torx bolt has been tightened from inside car) remove the mirror casing and use a piece of copper tube over the spring washer then tap down with hammer. Cannot remember if there are any screws holding on the mirror casing , but there are only two screws on the underside anyway.

Banned
    Yeah Zinger, your right, that is the easiest way to tighten back up. You don't even have to remove the door panel, just roll the top of the door panel back. The torex bit is a T45. Its pretty easy to do. Also, if you want to strengthen your mirror support, there is a plastic peg that comes through the door frame also to make sure the mirror lines up correctly on installation. You can buy some small screws and washers and drill them into that peg. I did that with my M3 mirrors just for a little added support. Pretty easy to do, Profbooty, if you need a hand hit me up with a PM, I'm in Manassas.

12. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information