wiper motor installation?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

wiper motor installation?

I did a keyword search and didn't find a thread on this, so here goes.

I learned today that my '99 1.8T needs a new wiper motor--complete with labor to cost 350.00. Before I schedule the work, I thought I'd indulge my ego and see if this could be a job for an aspiring shade-tree mechanic.

Do any of the B5 pundits have a take? thanks --pw

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

5th Gear
    $350!?!?!?! What a rip off. I just did this when I part Norah out. Reassembling the wipers is a breeze. The whole thing is held in palce by about 3 bolts. The actual motor is helt in place by 3 smaller bolts. You will need to remove the whole thing to access the motor. The most important thing to remember is where everything is sitting (all the swing arms, hinges, etc.) when the wipers are seated (not on). If you need to, take a picture to make sure.

You will also need to remove the rainguard from the windshield. Start from one side & carefully pull towards you. DO NOT use a screw driver... you'll crack your windshiekd. All you need is a good grip & some elbow greas to remove that peice. The wipers themselves are held in place by a nut. Remmove the cover (plastic peice) & just use a socket to remove the wiper stalk.

Take the bolts off the linkage. Pull it towards you. Unbolt the motor. And you're golden. If you can wait, I'm doing this process this weekend to another Passat. I can take step by step pics for you.

$350?!? Thats . If you were any closer, I'd do it for you for a couple of slices of pizza & a beer.

Edit: If you need any linkage parts, let me know. I have a bunch brand new. I dont have the motor though.

Neutral
    Thanks, B. :bow: --'course you could come-down for the Fall Keeneland meet!

--pw

5th Gear
    Ok... here it goes. I worked on redoing meph (Jack's) wiper assembly this weekend. Please forgive me, as I am reciting this from memory and may have left a step out... just ask & I'm sure I'll remember... but here goes nothing.
    Starting point:

1. Pry off the caps the wiper arms.
    2. Remove nut using a 10mm (I think socket). Then jiggle the wiper till it comes off. Be patient, yet jiggle with authority.

3. Remove hinge caps on the corners of the hood (where the hinge is located). You will need a torx to remove these.

4. Remove plastic pollen filter cover. You will need to inscrew it from the tab thats holding it in place with the windshielf faring (the black plastic peice that runs the lower edge of your windshield; the wiper arm goes through the hole of this piece.

5. Carefully pry the plastic windshield faring. Start from one end & work your way to the other. DO NOT use a flat head. Just use your fingers. Pill down & out.
    6. Once removed, remember how the linkages are lined up. Notice how the arms are parllel . Perfectly horizontal. After you replace the motor. This is how it should look like when you reassemble it.

7. Remove the 3 "big" bolts holding the master linkage down. I think its still a 10mm socket.
    Bolt #1:

Bolt #2:

Bolt #3:

8. Once removed, you will have to negotiate it to have a clear access to the three bolts holding down the motor to the linkage. Remove these three bolts. You may need to "move" linkage arm (this will take some force) to access the 3rd bolt, which you cant see in this pic since the swining part of the linkage is covering it.

9. Once the motor has been unmounted from the linkage, take the linkage out. The motor may not come off easily. Be patient and yet forceful.

10. Replace motor.

11. HERE'S A TIP: Once you have the linkage & motor back on, DO NOT PUT THE SWING ARMS PORTION OF THE LINKAGE BACK ON RIGHT AWAY. Get in the car. Turn the wiper on & off. This will ensure that the motor is in the "rest position".

12. Reassmble in the reverse order. MAKE SURE THAT YOU MAINTAIN THE PARALLEL-ness OF THE ENTIRE LINKAGE, AS IN THE PICTURE:

13. When putting wipers back on, measure precisely.
    14. Test it all out.
    15. HAve a beer.

HERE'S A TIP: Once you have the linkage & motor back on, DO NOT PUT THE WIPER ARMS BACK ON RIGHT AWAY. Get in the car. Turn the wiper on & off. This will ensure that the motor is in the "rest position".

Hope this helps... That'll be $350.

2nd Gear
    Boy my car is filthy.

Neutral
    wow! Thanks for the intructions and photo-documentation. I hope the mods transfer your little seminar over to the information forum.

--as for the $350; what happened to the pizza and beer?

5th Gear
    No problem. My pleasure. Ok... forget the $350... this one is a freebie

Just be careful when prying off the faring. You dont wanna bust your windshield. Start from one end & move across. Its easy...

5th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by meph
    Boy my car is filthy.
    At least it smells nice now. :-P

Neutral
    Sorry for digging up this ancient thread, but I guess it just proves again the value of the thread!

BoeserBlick or anyone else - could you post the photos again please?

use this. AudiWorld Tech Articles

I used it to do the motor on my A4 and the passat is almost exactly the same. I'm sure it helps for more access, but I did not remove the plastic fairing. A trick with removing the wiper arms. Lift up away from the glass to remove tension. you should just be able to wiggle them off from there.

Neutral
    Thank you VAGguy - by plastic fairing you mean the plastic at the bottom of the windshielf that runs across, and it's possible to remove the motor without taking this bit off? I will attempt access to the motor tomorrow , any more tips appreciated

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by gaoanyu View Post
    Thank you VAGguy - by plastic fairing you mean the plastic at the bottom of the windshielf that runs across, and it's possible to remove the motor without taking this bit off? I will attempt access to the motor tomorrow , any more tips appreciated
    Yeah, if I remember right, I didn't figure out how to unclip the centre clip for the plastic fairing when I pulled my wiper linkage/motor out and ended up busting the centre clip, so study it closely if you do decide to pull the fairing.

JOhn

Neutral
    Thank you Petra Passat. I will definitely take away the fairing first.

I failed at the first stage - I could not remove the wipers. The wipers are screwed hard and tight and I do not believe this is removable without a special tool.. any ideas anyone? What tool should I use?

You shouldn't need a special tool. Once you remove the nut holding them on, lift the wiper arm to it's upright position (like you are changing blades) and wiggle it off.

And yes, take the fairing off. IIRC it's easier on the passat.

PZ
    Redline
    You can try using a puller on the wiper arms. I've seen them stuck pretty good.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Petra Passat View Post
    Yeah, if I remember right, I didn't figure out how to unclip the centre clip for the plastic fairing when I pulled my wiper linkage/motor out and ended up busting the centre clip, so study it closely if you do decide to pull the fairing.

JOhn

Does a centre clip look like the above? Could anyone share how to unclip this, can I use any conventional tool, like a pincer?

Neutral
    Thanks VAGguy and PZ, I did not lift wiper arms upright so will try that first, failing that I will get myself a jaw puller

One question about position of the motor mechanism vs. wiper arms

At the moment, my wipers will only work at high speed and does not park at the right position (i.e. bottom of the windsheild) when I switch it off. This means my motor mechanism is not parked at the right poistion either when I switch off. If my solution is to replace old motor mechanism with a new one, how can I ensure new motor mechanism is aligned with wipers which did not change so they don't operate out of synch?

PZ
    Redline
    I don't have time to look for it, but there was a thread in the last month about the wipers parking in the wrong spot and how they were fixed.

For the circlip, a pair of snap ring pliers works much better. Buy a set of reversible ones and you can use them for other snap rings.

Neutral
    An update:
    I replaced the motor successfully in the end and the wipers started to function normally. I did this last year but thought it'd be useful to update here for others to see too... I bought a 3 leg puller, which was proven useful to take the wipers out. It was tricky to stablise the puller, so a 2 leg one may be better.

I took off the plastic shield to have full access to the motor itself

21. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information