Timing belt change
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Timing belt change

I took my 2000 Passat GLX V6 to a authorized VW dealer for my 60K, and they told me that they weren't sure went to swap out the timing belt... WHAT THE HELL!? I know this retard "mechanic" should know, but does anyone out there have any advice? :???: Thanks so much

-- Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

PassatWorld Staff
    Hi Mike. Seems like there should be an easy answer, right? Wrong. The available documentation is contradictory and, if you've ever owned a VW, counter-intuitive. Your mechanic may in fact have been confused, rather than ignorant.

The short answer is this: If you're not currently under warranty, get it changed at 60K.

You'll sleep better. So will I. I hate reading about grenaded engines.

Welcome to Club B5.

Kenny

3rd Gear

Re: Timing belt change

FWIW, my 99 V6 has two intervals: the owner's manual says 90k miles, the sticker on the radiator support says 75k miles. I chose to be conservative and go with 75k, even though the powertrain is under warranty until 100k. Whenever you do get around to it, it's wise to do the tensioner and idler along with the water pump and thermostat. I'll be posting a writeup of the V6 process to go along with MattDaddy's 1.8T writeup. Just gotta make some time to do it...

2nd Gear
    The "official" Passat maintenance card, which is a laminted 8 1/2 x 11 that VW customer service sent me when I complained about inconsistent recommendations for service, for a 2000 V6 lists no replacement interval for the timing belt. It does say "Timing Belt - check condition" and "Timing Belt - Tensioner" at 40K and 80K. FYI, for 98 they said replace the timing belt and tensioner at 90K, for 98-2001 they say to check the timing belt at 40K and 80K, and for 2001 they say to replace the timing belt and tensioner at 105K.

Ain't consistency a great thing?

Btw, if you tell people where you are I'm sure you can get a recommedation for a good, reasonable mechanic. I strongly recommend you NOT get the timing belt done at the dealer, in my case (98 1.8t), I paid ~$450 including parts (did all belts and the water pump), whereas the dealers ran $1,000 - $1,500.

Neutral
    You guys rock... Thanks so much. I REALLY appreciate your help. You are damn good Americans. Thanks again for the warm welcoming.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by dac2800
    Btw, if you tell people where you are I'm sure you can get a recommedation for a good, reasonable mechanic. I strongly recommend you NOT get the timing belt done at the dealer, in my case (98 1.8t), I paid ~$450 including parts (did all belts and the water pump), whereas the dealers ran $1,000 - $1,500.
    Having done the job myself, I would say that $450 for all belts and the w/p is at least a good price even for th 1.8t. The V6 engine should cost a little more, because there is a little time and work involved (perhaps another 30-60 minutes).

8. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information