Anybody use those trunk mounted bike racks on their Passat?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    2nd Gear

Anybody use those trunk mounted bike racks on their Passat?

Got a Passat B5.5.......... need to get the bikes in there, but don't want to buy roof racks.

I used to use the trunk bike racks on an old Jetta I had....... the trunk bike racks today look pretty good. Anyone use these?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    I have before, but you have to be careful as some tend to rest on the rear bumber, and on our cars that bumber is just plastic. On my Thule and Roadgears I could only really load one bike (and mine is a lighweight racing frame). The Saris Bones rack works well with the passat though.

I used to work at a bike shop.

4th Gear
    I bought one from BJ's a year ago. holds 3 bikes. perfect fit. I could even open the trunk while the bikes are on.

I'll get the brand and model later. gotta play golf now

Lefties have rights, too!
    I still have the rack I bought for my '77 Rabbit and it fits fine on the trunk lid. The problem is that the foam cushions that sit on the lid over time left marks on the finish of the paint. Thus I no longer use this setup and got roof racks. Since I ski and have a canoe the rack has multiple uses for me.

1st Gear
    I have had the shits of roof racks, the last one actually put dimples in the roof of my GTI. The best rear mounted rack that I have tried was called an Enflight or Enflite, I cant remember for sure. But it hooked under the front edge of the trunk and had straps that went under the bumper to hold down the rear. It mounted two bicycles with a quick release on the fordward part of the rack and the back tire resting on the rear bar. This set up was secure and did not damage the car in a couple of years use. I have not tried it on a Passat, but now that this post has remained me, I think I will. I have been just carrying the bike in the trunk with the seat down, but that won't do for mountain biking.

Banned
    Thanks to jerks like JulianFang, quality_sound, stealth32x, the moderator pass-variant, i am uncontributing
    since they say i have 200posts and say i don't contribute,

this will be my last post in this website ever,
    I got too many of the "older" members with high posts disliking me for pointing out the obvious, like a For Sale thread in the discussion forum (for which the mod told me to shut up and left the thread opened) and to point out a rigged contest ran by Image Dynamics, stuff like that ticked these guys off, well i must be wrong b/c i'm being lynched for pointing out what i think is obvious, well more like jerks defending other jerks when one of them is wrong

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtop...=895441#895441
    The contest thread was deleted, but this latest episode hasn't been yet
    there's many threads that i just keep on getting rude comments from them, i won't bother posting all the past, just this last episode

If they're going to make this website into a totally censored forum,
    http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtop...=895441#895441 - the least you could do is let ppl voice their opinion on this thread, i for one hate that msg and the idea of this "bylaw"

i'm sure many of the jerks will be happy i'm gone,
    it's been fun little boys, but i got better things to do then to enter engage in flaming discussion with old people

4th Gear
    I use a Rhode Gear on my Passat. Have to be careful of the straps rubbing too much though. I usually only have 1 bike on it, but on occasion I get 3 on it. the straps begin to rub the trunk lid.

Pretty good quality rack that I picked up for $40 on sale 1/2 off at Oshmans sporting goods store 6 months ago.

Definitely wouldn't go for the Target one. JMO

Neutral
    Buy a good one, preferably a roof rack. I spent the better part of 10 years working in the bicycle industry and 15 years road and mountian bike reacing. It always amazed me that someone would spend $25,000 on a car $3,000 on a bike but buy a POS rack for $30. The result was typically damaged car and bike. The best mount for a car is a roof rack. If the car was damaged the rack was installed incorrectly. Thule and Yakima are both very good. I like Yakima the best because they use a round bar. Thule uses are square bar. Because of this sifference the Yak will fit a vehicle better because the tower and mounts and rotate independently of each other. Thule and other square bar mounts can not.

If you really want a trunk mount buy a Rhode Gear Cycle shuttle. Rhode Gear has been updating that model for about 20 years now and it is very good. Just make sure you read the directions and the bars that hold the bike are more or less parrel to the gound. I've seen more cars where the bars stick straight up in the air. This results in the bike resting on the trunk and both the bike and car being damaged.

Things to watch out for. With a LOWERED car, most of this forum, the bike wheels will be lower to the ground. As you go over dips, steep curbs, etc, you run the risk of dragging the bike wheels on the ground as the suspension compresses. Again I've seen many bikes and car damaged becuase of this "hidden" feature. Also, watch where the exhaust comes out in relation to the tire. The hot exhaust can burn through the tire.

An option to prevent this is to buy are receiver hitch rack. These hold the bikes up higher and solve the problem. But buy the time install the hitch and buy the rack you might as well buy a Yakima rook rack.

Good Luck,

Pete

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Carrera
    It always amazed me that someone would spend $25,000 on a car $3,000 on a bike but buy a POS rack for $30.
    My bike only cost $120 and it's used. My b5.5 only cost $20k also. :-P
    For the moment, i'm just gonna take the wheel off and put the bike inside the car. Thanks for the advice though.

4th Gear
    I wonder how many times people have scratched their cars trying to lift a bike to the roof rack.
    Sure, if you have a $1000 bike that only weights ten pound, then it's easy.
    You gotta understand also. Most people who have Passats have small kids with small bikes. I've yet to see one on the roof.

For me it's like this. I only take the bikes on short trips to that park so the kids can go ridin'. If I was gonna go long trip with it then I would consider other means or just rent bikes at that location.

My $30 rack from BJ served me well (although I only use it occassionally).

You may be correct on the lowered cars. Mine's not lowered yet but I could potentially see the mtn bike hitting the ground

1st Gear
    The roof rack on my GTI was a Thule and it was installed correctly according to the manufactures instructions. It put dimples in my roof and scratches where the feet touched the car finish, even though I was very careful about cleanliness of the pad and car when I installed the rack.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Parish
    I still have the rack I bought for my '77 Rabbit and it fits fine on the trunk lid. The problem is that the foam cushions that sit on the lid over time left marks on the finish of the paint. Thus I no longer use this setup and got roof racks. Since I ski and have a canoe the rack has multiple uses for me.
    I have one myself and I have to be really careful with it on so it doesn't leave marks on the paint.

Neutral
    Massachusetts, the less liberal Western part.
    Best rack I've seen for any car that you want to carry any size bike and save the car's finish is to install a receiver hitch (forget wiring unless you have a trailer) and then attach a receiver rack to it. Costly, but no more so than a name brand roof system. Careful placement of the bikes keep them totally off the car and with the pull of a pin, the rack removes easily.

Other receiver type cargo mounts exist as well. Not real pretty, but highly functional and easy to remove for all those times you don't need it.

Neutral

Good bike carrier for the B5

A few years ago we bought a Rhode Gear bike carrier- Super Cycle Shuttle model. Used it on our old Maxima and never gave it much thought. But 2 weeks ago we decided to take our mountain bikes with us to N.Carolina. This was going to be a two day trip from S.Florida to Asheville,NC. After carefully fitting the straps to the Passat we went for a trial run down the old I-95, keeping a nervous look on the bikes, going 70. All went well and so we started the big trip and completed it, thank God, without any problems. The key is making absolutely sure that the strapping is applied securely to all anchoring points. At the top the clips are inserted over the trunk lid. We had no paint damage at all because we put soft hand towels underneath the top foam protected bar which rests on the top of the trunk lid. The secondary foam bar we rested on the car where the trunk lid ends and the bumper starts. This allows the bikes, we had 2, total weight 55 lbs plus rack, to be supported by a very strong section. Side straps kept the bikes from swaying on the turns, and we used extra bungie cords to really hold down the bike frames to the carrier posts. Additionally for extra security we ran extra long bungie cords from the bottom of the car to the bottom bike carrier frame. On the right rear side we used the tow hook as an anchor point. On the left side we used the rear bumper shock absorber as an anchor. No dented bumpers and the trunk lid did not go out of allignment at all-tested by trying out the remote trunk opening. Something we were sweating before turned out to be very doable. The carrier is also affordable, approx $40, hope they still make this model. Good luck and let us know how it goes. You do not need a hitch set up.
    B5lvr

4th Gear
    Sorry for the delay in giving the model but here are some pics of the bike rack I got from BJs

hope it helps

Zim
    1st Gear
    Over the weekend I got a Saris Bones 2 trunk bike rack for my B5.5.

With a garage at home, and having had a parking deck at work, a roof rack was out of the question, despite the many plusses it would have.

Since the bumper is not metal, I angled the bumper support in against the license plate area (which is metal).

I've only got 1 hr of driving time so far with it, but it seems ok. Will be doing a 5-hr trip (each way) this weekend that will give me more info.

Here's a pic... (the bike arms are rotated down in the pic)

Mike

1st Gear
    I used a trunk mounted Rhode Gear one time, and although it was a perfectly good unit and seemed to fit well, I was disappointed that the rubber pieces that sit on the trunk lid rubbed enough to remove some paint. Not a happy situation. I am much more satisfied with the roof mounted Thule.

JC

Neutral
    I got a Saris Bones 2 before my move from Raleigh back up to York, PA. It made the ~6hr trip with not problems. The straps stayed tight and the rack itself never moved. I especially like the frame straps on the arms of the rack, you can lock the bike in pretty tight with them. The one caveat I have for anybody with this rack is; put something soft (foam or terrycloth) between the support feet and your paint. They are made of a rubbery plastic that can rub your finish off. I used an old piece of terrycloth towel on mine, and am looking to get some neoprene or something similar to act as a cushion.

3rd Gear
    If you use a trunk rack, damage to your trunk lid is inevitable.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by RechtsFahren
    If you use a trunk rack, damage to your trunk lid is inevitable.
    That is my concern with the Saris Bones Rack, and other trunk racks. Very clearly, on the box and in the instructions, it states "NOT BE BE USED ON TRUNK ONLY", and something like "MUST MOUNT ON BUMPER".

My guess is that ALL of the weight of the bike(s) ends up on the trunk alignment hingles, which is probably not good.

My earlier Jetta, I had it supporting near the license plate also, but that portion on that car is not the trunk, but is the body. That kinda displaces the forces 50/50% from the trunk to body.

On the good side, the Saris has alot of fans. One guy is a bicycle cop who had his work bike tied to the back of his police cruiser. He got into a chase (with the bike on the back) at over 100mph. Said the bike didn't move.

Let us know how your Saris works. I bought one, but havent used it (was gonna return it after I read the instructions).

4th Gear
    it sure seems like the hitch/receiver thing is the best overall. nothing to touch your car's paint. nothing heavy to lift over the car. and no roof racks that are left on the car when the bike move is over.

Zim
    1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by linux-works
    it sure seems like the hitch/receiver thing is the best overall. nothing to touch your car's paint. nothing heavy to lift over the car. and no roof racks that are left on the car when the bike move is over.
    Without a doubt... alas it also doubles/triples the cost (assuming you don't already have a hitch) (I got my Bones for $85 from a LBS)

I think the only "rub point" I will have is the "foot" on the top of the trunk.
    The ones that hit the license plate area actually rest on the edges of the plate.

One caveat on hitches from a buddy of mine (BMW), his seems to put a lot of torque to his spare wheel well area (where it mounts from underneath). The bike seems to add movement that one would not expect from more of a towing situation (where it might swing a little side to side, but not as much up and down causing a rotational torque along the long axis). He actually found he needed to add a strap from the top of his rack to his trunk to stabilize it. So be sure to get a good hitch, and one that has stabilization on the front-to-back axis of the car, as well as side-to-side.

Cheers,
    Mike

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim
    Without a doubt... alas it also doubles/triples the cost (assuming you don't already have a hitch) (I got my Bones for $85 from a LBS)
    like the other post said, the cost of the car and even the cost of depreciation if you slip and ding your car or rub the paint too much under the foam bushings, its not worth it to me in the long run. $300 or whatever it is for the hitch and stuff will pay for itself if it keeps my car touchless when it comes to bikes.

3rd Gear
    like the other post said, the cost of the car and even the cost of depreciation if you slip and ding your car or rub the paint too much under the foam bushings, its not worth it to me in the long run. $300 or whatever it is for the hitch and stuff will pay for itself if it keeps my car touchless when it comes to bikes.
    And it also gives you the ability to tow something so it's not like you are wasting your money. You can find trailers cheap or even free from people who have no where to put them. Who knows, maybe you'll end up buying a Waverunner or Quad in the future and you'll be all set to tow it home.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm
    Who knows, maybe you'll end up buying a Waverunner or Quad in the future and you'll be all set to tow it home.
    are those home speakers?

for really big speakers, yeah, I guess I'd need a trailer to get them home..

[big grin] ;-)

27. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information