How to remove panel inside door?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

How to remove panel inside door?

I have a bad rattle in my 98 Passat's driver's door (somewhere near the lock mechanism I would say) but when I take the trim panel off the door to take a look I can't get any further into the door because of this large metal panel (see pic below).

I have removed all the surrounding bolts from it but it won't come out (I am beginning to think it is being held in by the window glass somehow). Withough getting past this panel I don't think I can get to the door internals. Does anyone know how to proceed?

Thanks in advance for any advice. The car is a 98 TDI wagon with auto tranny by the way. It is right-hand-drive for the UK - the photo shows the driver's door therefore.

Julian

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    First, you must remove the armature cover on the window motor. It's the silver cylindrical part with the barcode sticker on it. It has four Torx screws holding it on. With it removed, you can now lower the window by hand until the regulator bolts can be seen through the two large service ports. The ports have round rubber plugs that pop out to access the bolts. One of your's appears to be removed already. Now, loosen those two bolts that clamp the glass in place and have a helper carefully raise the glass up to the fully shut position and tape it in place. Just tape the glass to the door with wide masking tape. Now, remove all those 10mm bolts that hold the carrier assembly in place. This is the large metal plate you're referring to. If you're carefull, you can pull it out enough to access the insides of the door without removing the lock assembly and get whatever is rattling inside the door. Be careful working with tools inside the door, however, because one slip and you've dented your door from the inside out! If this were a rear door, same instructions apply except in place of bolts holding the regulator to the glass, I belive there are plastic pins which have to be popped out to free the glass from the regulator. Good luck! :wink:

Neutral
    Thanks for this good advice - I tried it today and by unbolting and taping up the window glass I got much further into the door. I still couldn't remove the carrier assembly from the door though and I worked out it was held in by the door catch assembly too, so bought a spline tool and unbolted that from the door with the 2 bolts.

The carrier panel still won't come out though! :sad: Now it seems to be being held into the door by the outside door handle! This one I really can't see how to tackle, but I know I can't really get a good look inside the door without removing the metal carrier panel, so what must I do now to remove it?

Thanks to anyone who can get further advice. This is the most difficult door I have ever had to dismantle by far.

Julian

Neutral
    I believe your next step should be to pry out a little cover cap concealing a Torx fastener on the door closest to the edge on the side where you removed the two for the locking mechanism. Hold the outer door handle open as you turn the torx bolt. Back it out only until it hits a stop--it won't come all the way out. Now the lock cylinder where you'd insert the key into the door handle should come out. Next unfasten the clip that connects the door handle to the inner locking mechanism. This will be revealed after you get the lock cylinder out of the way. I believe you should finally be able to remove the carrier assembly now. Could they have made this more complicated? :???: Take solice in the fact that you aren't paying a dealership 200 pounds/hour (or whatever it costs over there) to do this! :wink:

1st Gear
    Thanks Photonz! This question has been asked a few times here, but no answer has been this detailed. I too have tried to take this panel out, thinking that the 4-5 bolts would do the trick. I don't think too many people have had the nerve or a good reason to take this thing off. If you ever have, you'll understand why it is so expensive to replace a side window. Thanks again for the instructions.

1st Gear
    I know this might sound kind of silly, but have you taken the car for a drive since removing the trim? I also own a 98 Passat that had some nasty rattles coming from the door. After removing the door trim I took the car for a drive and there were no noises, which indicated the problem was with the trim! If your car has the same issue, this simple test will save you heaps of time and effort.

Neutral
    Many thanks Photonz for the further info. I see the plastic cap and the torx fastner beneath it. Since I reassembled the door though, I have lost the noise (as TUR-80 predicted). I really am not sure what I did. There was nothing obvious.

For the moment it is back together though (and seems OK). If it starts making the noise again I will pull it apart completely (but I will check it isn't the door panel first).

I am quite sure I could not have gotten this far without help - many thanks

Julian

1st Gear

rear door lock problem

OK, so I took off the door panel, only to discover another metal panel behind it. Do I need to take this panel off as well to find the source of my door lock problem? I have a stinkin suspicion that I might, seeing as how I don't see anything that would be the cause of the rear, passenger side door lock to not work (it works manually, but not with the auto locks). I tried removing the 5 or 6 screws holding that panel in, but it wouldn't budge, and I don't feel comfortable removing the window to fix this thing.

Does anyone have any pics or tips on replacing the door lock actuator, as after doing searches, it appears as though that's the problem?

thanks!

3rd Gear
    jcopley....I am in your shoes also...my window or lock on the rear driverside doesnt work...I found one link if you do the search. It helps but doesnt solve it. If you include the words "window regulator lock" in the general discussion.

11. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information