Back window won't go up/down! (rain is coming!)
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Back window won't go up/down! (rain is coming!)

My driver's side rear window decided to stop working. It will go up/down about 2" but won't go any farther. I can't close it. I can hear the inside motor running and it sounds normal. I almost want to push it down while holding the switch, but decided against it.

Any help from my fellow B-5ers before the rain gets here?

Oh, my car is a 1999 Passat GLX.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    These cars are notorious for this happening. Try to have an assistant gently pull up on the glass while you pull the switch up. What has most likely happened is the "spreader pins" as VW calls them have popped out of the glass/regulator. There is a plastic cylindrical pin with as steel spreader pin inside it that slides into a hole in the bottom of the glass. Then the whole assembly simply pops into the regulator. This ridiculous snap-fit system also snaps apart quite easily! You have to take off the door panel, take the cover off of the motor, turn the motor by hand to make the regulator assembly line up with the service holes in the assembly carrier, find the pins-they usually have fallen down into the door, push the glass back down to the regulator, put the pins back in place--this time with some windshield sealant on them for insurance, and pop the glass with the pins back in, into the regulator. More detailed instructions I believe are available on the help info forum on this site. Anyone can do this-its's a pain, but the dealer will probably screw you to the tune of around $200-300 to fix this. If all else fails slide the window up and tape it in place with some paint-friendly tape to buy some time. Good luck!

3rd Gear
    Hmm, my Passat is a little different then. The glass doesn't have any holes in the bottom. The regulator has two plastic pieces that slide in tracks up and down. The plastic pieces are attached to U-channel shaped metal brackets that sandwich down on the bottom of the glass. My car doesn't have any holes in the bottom of the door glass. I haven't looked at the rear but the driver's side front is that way.

Can you hear the motor running longer than the window moves? Does it sound like the motor and window are disconnected?

I do have an extra power window motor if you find you need one.

2nd Gear
    By any chance does anyone know if Passat Windows (old ones maybe) are the same as the VW Jetta/Golf setup.. back when i was a Jetta owner (MKIV, 2002 VR6 Jetta) we had a recall about our Windows just "falling" in to the door.. Might want to look in to that...

Neutral
    I can hear the motor running and it sounds fine -just like the other windows. The glass will only move maybe 2" or less near the "closed" position. I think it has become disconected.

Assuming that I can't get it to click back into the plastic bracket, can you give me some DIY tips to get the door apart without screwing it up?
    I'll check the info forum too.

Thanks.

1st Gear
    I had the same problem... fix required a $1.25 cent broken plastic round piece and 30 minutes of labor. Getting the door back on without smashing all the plastic clips is one hell of a job though.

3rd Gear
    To remove the rear door first remove the center piece of the grab handle. Do this with a small sharp screwdriver. Start prying at the lower front corner of the cover, you probably will end up gouging it a little but you can't see that part of the handle so well. The cover is in there pretty tight but once you have part of it out just pull on it and it will pop out. Once you have the cover off you'll see how the lower left corner is already notched.

Use a phillips screwdriver and remove the two screws inside the handle. Remove the Torx screw (T20) at the bottom of the door panel. Pull out on the panel around the sides and bottom to pop it off the door. Now push up on the panel to remove it from the top channel. Don't forget to unplug the harness for the speaker and window switch, also the door handle needs to be disconnected.

There are two plastic covers in the regulator panel, remove these and you should be able to see inside the door.

4th Gear
    i would suggest buying extra door clips when you do the job, its not really if u break any, its how many.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Photonz
    ...This ridiculous snap-fit system also snaps apart quite easily! You have to take off the door panel, take the cover off of the motor, turn the motor by hand to make the regulator assembly line up with the service holes in the assembly carrier, find the pins-they usually have fallen down into the door, push the glass back down to the regulator, put the pins back in place--this time with some windshield sealant on them for insurance, and pop the glass with the pins back in, into the regulator.... )
    Great description! I have a similar problem. My window is completely shut, the motor works, but the window doesn't go down.

Do I follow the same procedure to fix this? I assume that your precedure requires you to take out the metal "carrier" plate that holds the speaker and regulator and stuff. Is that right?

Also, the Bentley's Manual state that the motor should be replaced if you "turn the motor by hand" during the procedure. Is this necessary as well?

11. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information