How to remove the Tiptronic shift knob???
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Banned

How to remove the Tiptronic shift knob???

Hey all.....I can't get to my Bentley manual right now but I need to take the Tiptronic shift knob off of the A6 (assuming it comes off the same way as my Passat's does) so I can remove the chrome cover that goes over the shifter as it is scratched and I want to replace it.

I could probably figure it out, but I'd rather *know* how to do it so I don't break anything. Too bad it's not 5-speed or it would just unscrew. :-P

Anyone wanna help a brotha out? :???:

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    I just did it, and was an idiot about it, so I can give you some idiot-proofing:

Put it into 3rd, pull the chrome sleeve down (it pops right off, and slides down the shaft).

Pull the button out until it clicks. It comes out far enough that you can almost see the inside edge of it (the edge that is hidden in the knob). The knob should just lift right off at this point with very little effort.

If it won't come off, try pulling harder on the button while pulling it. You should be holding the button out while lifting up.

3rd Gear
    You should be able to put it in third gear. Pull out the chrome lock button, it'll be tough, but it will come out. Carefull, there's a spring attached that you need, just pull the button out far enough to clear the knob and use a screw or something to hold it there. The knob should just pull strait up and off.

I'm typing this by memory, YMMV

3rd Gear
    Mine was much easier than that. It was really really simple. The idiot move I made was not pulling down the shaft. This acts as a lock to keep it on.

2nd Gear
    So with the knob removed you can remove the chrome trim plate around the shifter? This would be great because I've wanted to do this for a while to clean it up. A bit of coffee spilled into on to the black moving panels underneath and it makes funny sticking/clicking noise in Tip mode.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bfalchuk
    I just did it, and was an idiot about it, so I can give you some idiot-proofing:

Put it into 3rd, pull the chrome sleeve down (it pops right off, and slides down the shaft).

Pull the button out until it clicks. It comes out far enough that you can almost see the inside edge of it (the edge that is hidden in the knob). The knob should just lift right off at this point with very little effort.

If it won't come off, try pulling harder on the button while pulling it. You should be holding the button out while lifting up.
    Perfect instructions...........thanks!

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonthron
    So with the knob removed you can remove the chrome trim plate around the shifter?
    Nope, that's a whole different ball-o-wax. You'll need to remove the lower part of the console for this.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by bulliboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonthron
    So with the knob removed you can remove the chrome trim plate around the shifter?
    Nope, that's a whole different ball-o-wax. You'll need to remove the lower part of the console for this.
    That's what I thought... my Bentley's manual also says I'll need to remove the lower portion of the console. I was just hoping it was wrong like it has been about other things.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by SDPassatT

Perfect instructions...........thanks!
    Except that if your A6 shifter is like the A4 one I just picked up, this is not necessary. All you do is pull the button out as far as it'll go (all the chrome will be visible, with a space also visible behind the button). The knob will come up. Not sure what happens if you pull really hard on the button on this knob, but it may just break off....

The A4 knob I've got is so much better-designed than the Passat one where you have to take the chrome cap off and then pull the black part behind it completely out.

3rd Gear
    I don't mean you pull TOO hard, just be sure to be pulling. The A4 knob sounds like the exact same process as the Passat.

I would say that, while the A4 knob is better than ours, the TT knob blows everything else away. It's small, fits beautifully in the hand, and gives you the usability of a round Momo knob without having to resort to one of those awkward tip shift adapters where you pull up.

3rd Gear
    Actually, it's different. With the A4 knob you just pull the button until it stops; it's one smooth, easy action. With the Passat knob, you have to take the button completely out, and it's already "fully-extended"; you have to pull the chrome cap off and then pull the button behind it out with some pliers or something.

Lot less of a chance of screwing things up with the A4 knob. (Ask me how I know. )

3rd Gear
    Actually, idale, that's not true at all. I think it depends on the year, but my Bentley's was WAY off. I just pull my button out until it stops, and that's it. Same as the Audi. I'm in a late 2002.

Perhaps it used to be that way, but I have a friend with a B5 (1999), and it's the same thing with him.

3rd Gear
    Hmm, well this was with my 2002. With the button in, the knob wouldn't come off (until I made it come off ), but once I decided to try to get the button out farther, the button popped out. Had to use a pair of pliers to get the grip on it, but it just popped all the way out. No nice "extra" extension, it was either "in" or "off".

But maybe my knob was just defective. *shrug*

3rd Gear
    Possibly.

It's weird, my chrome cover came off, whereas my friend's B5 can't come off (or at least, it seems like it can't come off).

What you had happen is what the Bentley's describes, but I have yet to see this happen in person. Bentley says to pull it out further than mine came out, then a little thing drops down. At this point, with the sleeve pushed down off the knob, you can pull it off. To reseat it, they say to use a small screw driver and put the little thing that dropped down back up into the button once you reseat it, then put the button back in, raise the shaft, and ensure it operates correctly.

All of this should be in 3rd gear.

3rd Gear
    That's weird. Mine maybe was able to be pulled all of 0.5mm farther out than the "normal" position. My chrome cover does come off, and when I pulled on the black thing that was underneath (with pliers -- my fingers couldn't get a good enough grip to pull with enough force), that assembly popped out. The resetting the metal bar is probably right, though, since now the (now-useless) button on my stock knob is kinda noisy (spring).

Do they have about 15 different places making these knobs or something?

3rd Gear
    Leave it to VW to have running changes on running changes.

Yeah, they have a company called PITA making their parts for them.

1st Gear

Re: How to remove the Tiptronic shift knob???

Quote Originally Posted by SDPassatT
    Hey all.....I can't get to my Bentley manual right now but I need to take the Tiptronic shift knob off of the A6 (assuming it comes off the same way as my Passat's does) so I can remove the chrome cover that goes over the shifter as it is scratched and I want to replace it.
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Audi/VW/Porsche do not sell a replacement chrome cover for the tiptronic. you need to buy the whole unit at $700+

3rd Gear
    Are you sure about that? I just bought a satin aluminum one separately from the knob for the TT. And what is this $700? The shifter retails for under $200.

1st Gear
    As far as I know (a few of us, have been checking this on and off since 1999), the tiptronic chrome cover (the visible part) is not available as a standalone. Not sure about the TT's .
    We were trying to get the audi brushed cover to replace the passat's chrome.
    The $700 refer to the entire tiptronic unit (minus the knob).

3rd Gear
    I think we're talking about different parts here. We're talking about the sleeve that goes on the shaft of the shifter. It sounds like you're talking about that chrome piece that surrounds the shift gate. That is really expensive.

Now that I think about it, I wonder what SDPassat was talking about. He could have meant either! If he wants the whole shift gate cover, he'll have to take off the console, not just the knob.

1st Gear
    I think we're talking about different parts here. We're talking about the sleeve that goes on the shaft of the shifter. It sounds like you're talking about that chrome piece that surrounds the shift gate. That is really expensive.
    Now that I think about it, I wonder what SDPassat was talking about. He could have meant either! If he wants the whole shift gate cover, he'll have to take off the console, not just the knob.
    Yes, sorry about the confusion. I was talking about the shift gate. The sleeve is fairly inexpensive.

1st Gear
    Bryan - looks like you've become the resident expert on removing the tip shift knob.

3rd Gear
    haha...hardly, Bret. I just checked the Bentley a lot after having my bought of stupidity, and read your great write up.

I think it's hard to get it off successfully, and not be pretty good at doing it. It's just that easy.

3rd Gear
    Just make sure that you don't screw up, or have a CD copy of the Bentley (or know someone who does), because if you break the selector lever, the print version of the Bentley doesn't tell you how to replace it. Luckily, I've got a few pages of the CD version in my inbox, so I know what to do. Just sucks that I can't take the book out there and have that available. Expressed my interest in a supplement to the manual that includes all those procedures that were omitted for the print version (but that made it into the CD version), but I'm not holding my breath for anything like that seeing the light of day. (But if anyone else would be interested, might be worth shooting them an email!)

Quote Originally Posted by bfalchuk View Post

I know this is an old write up....

I just did this today in my B5..... my chrome cover did come off ...I used tape to help with that....The thing that i wanted to ad was...when using the pliers to pull the rest of the button out -which has a spring holding it inplace...do not pull too hard! I had did that and shot the spring across the yard....after about 5 minutes of searching I found that it was destroyed ..... I canibalized the old Stock shift nobs spring which I had to cut apart just to get to it.... I am not sure if you could get this spring from anywhere but anyhow all in all it went smooth after that...

Neutral
    I just spent a very frustrating hour attempting to remove the shift knob from my 98 GLX. NEVER GOT THE KNOB TO EVEN WIGGLE!
    Chrome sleeve would only move down about an 1/8 of an inch. I pulled the chrome button all the way out and now have a broken shifter. I now need to purchase a new shift knob and will probably end up cutting this old one in half to remove it. Anyone know where I can get a shift knob and that venerable chrome sleeve?

28. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information