Ticking sound ,(Engine Noise is to LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Ticking sound ,(Engine Noise is to LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!

I've purchased My passat 98 V6 about 6 months ago and when I had it for about 3 months it was fine but then I started hearing the engine getting louder and louder. It doesn't run like a Diesel , so its not the bad. But its more like a ticking noise at all kinds of speed , well at least below 4000 RPM because than you can hear the engine performance and it sound nice. You can also hear it the most at IDLE which is really pissing me off. You can hear it preety loud insde of the car also. my car has 92,000 miles on it , if it will help.
    IF you guys have any ideas or know what is it, HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!

Thanx

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear

Re: Ticking sound ,(Engine Noise is to LOUD!!!!!!!!!!! (MeanB5)

i am having the same problem with my V6. it's kinda hard to explain but it's coming from the firewall near the passenger side. it is super annoying. i only hear it at idle. it seems to be getting louder every week. it doesn't sound like it's in trouble or anything but you never know...i'd also like to know if anyone has a solution for this.

Neutral
    Mine makes the same noise as blakwag's.
    I've got 69,000 miles on the clock.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy
    Mine makes the same noise as blakwag's.
    I've got 69,000 miles on the clock.
    Just a guess: Timing belt tensioner?

You might wanna ask a mechanic to take a quick listen to it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1023
    i am having the same problem with my V6. it's kinda hard to explain but it's coming from the firewall near the passenger side. it is super annoying. i only hear it at idle. it seems to be getting louder every week. it doesn't sound like it's in trouble or anything but you never know...i'd also like to know if anyone has a solution for this.
    I'm not too sure about the V6 since the 2.8 in my A4 never made this sound, and so far neither does the A6, but on the 1.8T at idle there is a fairly loud clicking noise from the N-80 valve I believe...which is part of the emissions system. It's a little cylidrical piece that is about 1" long, with a diameter of about 1". :?:

You COULD start the car up, open the hood, and listen for the tick though. That's how I found mine.

2nd Gear

Quote Originally Posted by SDPassatT
    Quote Originally Posted by 1023
    I'm not too sure about the V6 since the 2.8 in my A4 never made this sound, and so far neither does the A6, but on the 1.8T at idle there is a fairly loud clicking noise from the N-80 valve I believe...which is part of the emissions system. It's a little cylidrical piece that is about 1" long, with a diameter of about 1". :?:

You COULD start the car up, open the hood, and listen for the tick though. That's how I found mine.
    I noticed the same sound in the morning. It comes from (if facing the front of the car) the front left part of the engine. Is that where the N-80 valve is located? Is there a remedy?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by diab0lus
    I noticed the same sound in the morning. It comes from (if facing the front of the car) the front left part of the engine. Is that where the N-80 valve is located? Is there a remedy?
    As far as I know, there is no remedy.....it's just how that thing works.

I have a much worse click that only comes up under boost if I haven't boosted for a while (i.e. coming off the freeway, cold starts, etc.) that has been boggling my mind and VW tech's minds for over a year.

Banned

Re: Ticking sound ,(Engine Noise is to LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 7521
    I've purchased My passat 98 V6 about 6 months ago and when I had it for about 3 months it was fine but then I started hearing the engine getting louder and louder. It doesn't run like a Diesel , so its not the bad. But its more like a ticking noise at all kinds of speed , well at least below 4000 RPM because than you can hear the engine performance and it sound nice. You can also hear it the most at IDLE which is really pissing me off. You can hear it preety loud insde of the car also. my car has 92,000 miles on it , if it will help.
    IF you guys have any ideas or know what is it, HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!

Thanx

What kind of sound is it? Can you describe it better? Does it sound like a tapping or more like an "air escaping" sound?

Did it come on suddenly or gradually?

Could be an exhaust leak of some sort; you may want to have the system leak-checked.

1st Gear

When my 99 1.8t was making that noise it was coming from the drive belt area.

I simply took a long stick and touched each component. And listened at the other end.....it was water pump. Covered under 100k warranty.

3rd Gear

I got the same problem, coming on the driver's side. And I haven't really bothered taking care of it although I don't know why is it "clicking".
    I searched the Volkswagen Technical Literature Ordering Center, and found a service bulletin named "ENGINE-METALLIC CLICKING NOISE" assuming it is in regards to it and just ordered it. If you can bear with me for a few days till I get it, I'll give you guys a book report after I read it.

2nd Gear

Re: Ticking sound ,(Engine Noise is to LOUD!!!!!!!!!!! (Mean

Quote Originally Posted by SDPassatT
    Quote Originally Posted by diab0lus
    As far as I know, there is no remedy.....it's just how that thing works.

I have a much worse click that only comes up under boost if I haven't boosted for a while (i.e. coming off the freeway, cold starts, etc.) that has been boggling my mind and VW tech's minds for over a year.
    The sound I am talking about resembles air escaping with a bit of a click at the end of it. It is a really short sound. It was clicking twice per second yesterday and once per second with an occassional twice-a-second click today.

It has only happened during cold starts for me. Whenever I start my car and the RPMs idle at 1100, I wait for them to back down to 800 rpms (about 75 seconds) before I drive. After that I don't hear the sound.

Neutral
    Mine sounds just like a lifter tick. But you can not hear it outside the car. I've been after it with a stethoscope and no luck.
    The only time you can hear it is at idle and just off idle, after that the engine make too much noise to hear it or, it goes away.

Neutral
    I had the same problem last year and it was the exhaust manifold gasket. Sounded like lifters tapping. Was worse when it was cold, ie: first thing in the morning. But always noticed it. They replaced the EMG and I had no further problems of that sort.

Ray

15. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information