Sunroof problems
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Sunroof problems

Help!!

My 98 Passat's sunroof is starting to act up. Lately it has begun to pop and crack when I open/close it. Most of the noise comes right before it closes in either function (tilt open or slide open). I have been finding small plastic fragments in the track. There is no visable wear to the paint around the roof opening. The back corner of the side that seems to be the problem is starting to drop slightly when completely closed. A visit to the dealer produced these deductions; they know squat, the sunroof is not a "servicable part", cost to replace is $700 for the parts alone, sunroof is not adjustable.

Can anyone give me some suggestions or thoughts?

Has anyone had similar sunroof problems?

Thanks B5'rs

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    This just happened to our 98 Passat too. The plastic pieces are from the lift arms. They have plastic guides that seem to get brittle or lose all lubrication and break. The sunroofs are servicable to some extent. At least that's what the Bentley manual shows.

You might try an independent mechanic. If you are going to replace it you might try a used unit. Try searching on http://www.car-part.com

I haven't tried to take ours apart yet except for popping a cover off that let me see where the plastic came from.

I did read on Audiworld that the "lifters" are replaceable too.

Let me know what you find out.

Banned

Re: Sunroof problems

I guess this is where I got your email from? IM GUESSING?

Neutral
    Yes.

Neutral
    rwagen,
    Thanks for the 411. I plan to take it apart and do the work myself. Dealer keeps telling me that he can't sell any of the small bit as they don't have part no.s. I did find several used roofs for around $200 shipped. That an option if I can't fix it.

1st Gear
    I think there might actually be a different cause than what is listed above. I don't have direct experience with a 98, though, since mine is a 01.5.

There are plastic covers on mine that cover the lift arms. I've had them replaced 3 (count'em, three) separate times after I heard exactly the noise you are describing. The service manager at my dealership said that the plastic covers deform easily and he's seen several people's cars with the same problem. So I had mine replaced three times --- you can tell they're using a low quality or poorly designed part.

Those covers should be significantly less expensive than what you're talking about. Maybe that's something to check out. I'd definitely find another dealership for a 2nd opinion.

murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat mrgreek2002's Avatar
    My dealer told me and I'm very sure that there are 4 slides/glides that make the sunroof shade go back and forth. These are the plastic peices that break on our B5's (all MY's) and they are very inexpensive to replace. I think there around $5 CAN. each. It should also not take longer than an hour of labour to replace all four of them.

I have an original VW technical document outlining the same sounds you were experiencing and the small cut up peices you found. It also shows the part numbers and some pics of how to install them.

Hope I helped you out.

Banned
    Well I think that once I get to the point or replacing things I want to start with all new, or slightly new parts to insure that the job is done right. I dont want to have to pull the think apart more then once. Also, those plastic peices wont be going back on my car as they are horrible to have on there in the first place. Just use some sythetic grease/lube and I think that I will be fine. But thanks for the heads up.

Neutral
    No, it's not the covers. I can get those off just find. There's some plastic on the sunroof guide where a pin slides. That grey plastic breaks off.

I just took the sunroof glass out tonight and tried to clean out all the little plastic pieces. I think I got them all but the sunroof still opens a little roughly when sliding back (using the manual crank). Anyone know how easily the sunroof should slide.

Also, I went to remove the sunroof motor so I could set it back to it's zero position. One of the bolts just spins without coming out. The nut is actually a plastic sleave that fits inside of a plastic cover. Good design VW. The locktight is so tight that the sleeve is spinning instead of loosening the nut.

Neutral
    Ok, now I've got several questions for you guys;

1) 1 hour service work...is there a way to service the carraige unit without dropping the headliner, 2) can you remove the glass, again, w/o removing the headliner, 3) does anyone have the part numbers for lifts, lift covers, and/or other parts involved, 4) any schematics?

I have talked to three dealers in two different cities and get the same non serviceable part story, so the part numbers would help...or please give me the phone number of where you guys had the work done/bought the parts.

The broken pieces I am finding are black. I suspect that the driver side lift arms are failing as that sunroof is starting to sag on that side. My roof is now at the point where if I try to use it, it binds up and won't close and reverses direction (I have to crank it shut). The driver side is also where I am finding the small, thin, black pieces of brken plastic.

Thanks in advance for the....HELP!!!!!!

Banned
    Talk to Blownaway (aka Tim) ir B5bel as they both work at VW dealers. They can pull up some details for you as for parts, and possible fixes.

As for the parts that are failing, there is no way to get back in the rack without removing the HL. The rack falls all the way to almost the rear window and when removing the glass you can only access a small area of the rails. Denfam, be happy that you can even crank it shut. I couldnt even do that. Who knows, if and when I get the guts to tear this apart, we may just be able to remove the rails and clean the cables, guides, and lifters. I will keep you all posted though.

Neutral
    Finally got a chance to disassemble my sunroof and found the problem. I now see what rwagon was talking about. There are some thin grey plastic "bushings" that fit into the tilt guide rail that the guide pin slides on. These are pressed in to the metal guide rail. As they are very thin they will eventually start to break apart as mine have (driver side only). I suspect that the sunroof will eventually lock up as these plastic fragments begin to get lodged between the guide pin and rail. I had to use pliers and lots of force to remove the fragments from mine. A little synthetic grease and my roof slides nicely again. By the way, I did not have to remove the roof for this operation. Simply open roof via tilt mode, pull off the plastic covers (the first one snaps at the front then slides forward at the back to be removed - the cover behind it just snaps in place) to reveal the guides and glass panel screws. Thanks - hope this helps others. PS - I do dnot plan to replace the bushings but just keep the guide rails well greased.

Neutral
    UPDATE

Just keeping everything greased didn't work. Metal to metal contact makes for a noisy and annoying ride. Found a mechanic at the local VW dealship who knew a thing or two and he pointed out the parts that need replaced and even worked with the parts guy to get them ordered. Seems the drawings on the films that VW supplies to the parts counter are somewhat generic (as are the descriptions) and identifying the correct part(s) can be a challenge. Having an experienced VW mechanic work with the parts counter proved to be the way to go. I am replacing all the guide parts (which are available seperatly) and also using the VW listed guide grease (per the mechanic suggestion and explanation). Replacement should be easy as 6 screws remove the glass panel out the top of the car and expose all the parts that I need to service. One hour job (hopefully). The mechanic further stated that it's the cables that are most commonly problematic and that you have to buy the entire carriage unit as the cables aren't available seperatly. Also be advised that earlier B5's used an outside supplier (name escapes me) for the sunroofs then later switched to a unit designed/manufactured inhouse. Again the drawing for parts is the same for both while the internal mechanisms are quite different. I would be happy to get more specific if you needs part no.s/descriptions. PM me.

Most common B5 (and other VWs?) sunroof failures:

1) Cables strip out
    2) Guide bushings wear out (my case)
    3) Fabic roof panel guides wear out (I need to check these)

Hope this helps others

15. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information