Maximum hp for 1.8T
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    3rd Gear

Maximum hp for 1.8T

Does anyone know what the max hp is that we can get out of our 1.8T. I'm talking about after doing all the significant mods posibble(chip,exhaust,turbo,etc..) I was thinking it was somewhere around 300hp. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear

Re: Maximum hp for 1.8T (mbogosia)

shoot, if we all had the funds, we can probably push 400+
    I mean were talkin' extreme modifications, nitrous, HUGE turbo or "turbos"

1st Gear

APR stage 3+ i belive makes something crazy like 340hp.. i don't think its 100% complete yet, but the stage 3 is and its 310...

GO APR

3rd Gear

Re: Maximum hp for 1.8T (mr_brent)

My brother is buying a subaru wrx on Monday and he is starting out with 227hp. I want to try to keep up with him, or at least stay somewhat close.

<![CDATA[ My brother is buying a subaru wrx on Monday and he is starting out with 227hp. I want to try to keep up with him, or at least stay somewhat close.

[Modified by mbogosia, 2:03 PM 2/23/2003]

Overdrive

Limit of the stock internals for any significant length of reliable service is probably around 350hp. There've been a few blown APR StgIII+ cars on Audiworld (they have a StgIV that includes some new lower end bits), not to mention 1.Billy.T's monster that finally gave up the ghost. For 0-60 performance you might benefit just as well from a LSD and some sticky tires. "Power is nothing without control."

You will NEVER be able to keep up with your brother's WRX from a standing start. Don't waste your energy trying. If you want to have some friendly competition, make sure it's at higher speeds, or you will just be embarrased.

3rd Gear

Listen to Macabre. You'll be a fool trying to catch up with your bro. On WRX, turboxs offer stage I or II, will put out close to 300hp with just a chip and upgraded up-pipe + 3" turbo back for only $1500. When the facelift STI comes out, I might also join the subaru boys. I just have locate one in blue with no premium.

3rd Gear

I remember something from E46 Fanatics, and they were talking about how they ran into an S4 and it was bad, and one dude said something like "S4 is not the worst... 1.8T is a nightmare"

Wal
    2nd Gear

try 300Kw's but how long it will last I couldn't say but I do know someone that has this amount of power. Needless to say he's spent a whole wad of dollars modding his car. Oh and its an A4QT.

1st Gear

Re: Maximum hp for 1.8T (Macabre)

One of the only reasons why BillyTs engine went is because of the nitrous and stock internals.

At the end he was pushing over 400whp.

He had his engine run modified for over 45000 miles. He first started off with K04.

Let me know of one engine that can triple HP without doing anything to the internals.

3rd Gear

Re: Maximum hp for 1.8T (passaturbonium)

Please see this page. If you got the money go for it.

1st Gear

Re: Maximum hp for 1.8T (1Point8T)

Thats a VR6 Twinturbo

Overdrive

No it's not. It's actually an old Audi inline-5

3rd Gear

Click on VW-> Passat -> 1.8T, and they have a 550 hp package.

VW Passat 1.8 T 550 hp

Max. power 550 hp (405 kW)

Changes New E-proms in ECU, optimization of flow to intercooler, new turbo, custom built exhaust manifold, intake manifold, wastegate, intercooler, injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, camshafts, crankshaft with increased stroke (2.0 L), piston rods, pistons, oil cooler, clutch, flywheel, air filter, modification of air filter housing and charge air hoses and pipes, extra engine mounts, modification of crank case breather, porting of cylinder head, 2 x race cats, stainless steel exhaust (turbo-back).

Note The software maintains full functionality in terms of diagnostics, engine protection and fault code memory.

Neutral

How much is that in US dollars?
    Now all I have to do is win the LOTTERY!!!!

Overdrive

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>crankshaft with increased stroke (2.0 L), piston rods, pistons, oil cooler, clutch, flywheel<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once you've changed the internals, the sky's the limit, more or less. There's also a cost barrier between what you can do without opening up the motor and what you can't.

1st Gear

How long do you want the engine to live ?
    You'll possibly get over 1000bhp just before you melt the pistons and fill the oil filter with white metal !

3rd Gear

Bolt on kits will get you into the 300 hp range at the crank. These are reliable and retain the daily driver aspect. If you want to go over that mark, 450 wheel horsepower is definitely atainable, but maybe not as reliable. You can go with a T3/T4 hybrid turbo, 3" exhaust, external wastegate, and stand alone fuel management (MoTec or Haltec).

4th Gear

Re: Maximum hp for 1.8T (The Great Roberto)

420 hp,374 lb-ft

New E-proms in ECU, optimization of flow to intercooler, new turbo, exhaust manifold, wastegate, intercooler, injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, camshafts, crankshaft, piston rods, pistons, oil cooler, clutch, flywheel, air filter, modification of air filter housing and charge air hoses and pipes, extra engine mounts, modification of crank case breather, porting of cylinder head, 2 x race cats, stainless steel exhaust (turbo-back).

Price incl. installation

27924 EUR excl. VAT

So exactly how much is this in US currency?? They don't even list a price for the 500hp, and 550hp kit. Can't imagine ho much that would be.

1st Gear

Re: Maximum hp for 1.8T (Thumber)

Euro goes for abou the same as a dollar, so you looking at 25000k+ I cant possibly imagine how you get all that power to the ground with FWD.

4th Gear

I can't understand how you'd put it to the ground on FWD either. The only consalation is that the price incl. installation. But that's if you live over there anyway, so whoopie.

6th Gear

Re: Maximum hp for 1.8T (Thumber)

You might as well buy a Camaro with that kinda money...

1st Gear

Re: Maximum hp for 1.8T (stealthx32)

Why not, it'll last as long as a 450bhp Passat engine !

Overdrive

Sure, and you can probably catch a ride on the flying pigs while you're at it.

A 450hp 1.8T won't be acceptably reliable for a street car, but NO engine making 250hp/liter will be. Also keep in mind that a 450hp (no-NOS) 1.8T is not going to be very drivable on the street because the boost threshold will be sky high.

<![CDATA[Sure, and you can probably catch a ride on the flying pigs while you're at it.

A 450hp 1.8T won't be acceptably reliable for a street car, but NO engine making 250hp/liter will be. Also keep in mind that a 450hp (no-NOS) 1.8T is not going to be very drivable on the street because the boost threshold will be sky high.

[Modified by Macabre, 11:42 AM 2/23/2003]

3rd Gear

This car nowdays has 584hp (engine power). If you can get hold of the Swedish car magazine "Bilsport", you can read all about it. Dahlback Racing started to tune the car. That's what you see in the link above.

<![CDATA[

This car nowdays has 584hp (engine power). If you can get hold of the Swedish car magazine "Bilsport", you can read all about it. Dahlback Racing started to tune the car. That's what you see in the link above.

[Modified by Staffan, 11:45 AM 2/23/2003]

Overdrive

Re: Maximum hp for 1.8T (Staffan)

The more telling graph:

Boost threshold at 5000rpm.. no thank you. Looks line a dyno queen... what's the tranny spec? I doubt the oem 5spd would last through many 5k+ quattro launches with that kind of output.

<![CDATA[The more telling graph:

Boost threshold at 5000rpm.. no thank you. Looks line a dyno queen... what's the tranny spec? I doubt the oem 5spd would last through many 5k+ quattro launches with that kind of output.

[Modified by Macabre, 12:25 PM 2/23/2003]

4th Gear

Re: Maximum hp for 1.8T (Macabre)

Actually, with almost all the packages they offer they recommend a 6-speed tranny. So there's another $5000.
    I like this one better anyway, looks to have some pretty good fender mod.

4th Gear

Re: Maximum hp for 1.8T (Rney)

400 is sick

29. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information